Where to go?!!

Old Jul 16th 2005, 11:52 am
Bring me SUNSHINE!

emmieshaw19 will become famous soon enough
Default Where to go?!!

We are still in the process of deciding to go for it or not, doing research etc, but our big thing is where to go in Australia? We have a friend in Melbourne but have never been there, in fact we haven't been to Australia at all! My husband is a City & Guilds fully qualified registered Electrician and has heard that they are crying out for them in Perth, which looks very nice too. We really need to go where the work is. We have been in touch with a migration consultant and she said we have passed the assessment (130 points) for a skilled worker visa. But we really need some advice on where you guys think the good places to live are. We will rent for a while to decide whether we like it or not and sell our house in the UK before we go. Also does anyone know if you get the married man's tax allowance over there which is in with your wages? I know we don't here anymore but wondered if they have it. Trying to weigh the pro's and con's up as we don't want to leave with a rose tinted pair of glasses on and suddenly realise the grass isn't that greener! Can you also tell me if the people are as friendly as they say because where we are here they are so miserable! Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:04 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go?!!

Depends on a lot of things. What do you like doing? Do you like the heat (i mean really like it/ could work in in etc) Do you like suburbs or would you be prepared to live out of a major city if you want a bit of space? Are you a shopperholic or not bothered about the latest and greatest? God, the list is massive really, perhaps you could give us more clues
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:28 pm
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Originally Posted by hevs
Depends on a lot of things. What do you like doing? Do you like the heat (i mean really like it/ could work in in etc) Do you like suburbs or would you be prepared to live out of a major city if you want a bit of space? Are you a shopperholic or not bothered about the latest and greatest? God, the list is massive really, perhaps you could give us more clues
Right! We all like being outdoors, kids love the beach and anything to do with water. We all like the sun but not the Queensland heat of 40+ degrees! Wouldn't want to be in a city as where we are in the UK it's a smallish town and like the fact we are far enough out of the heavy traffic but not too far out we are isolated, a suburb would be great. I do like shopping, typical woman! But everyone looks at what you have on here (snobs!) so that wouldn't bother me too much I don't think, save me some money! My ideal would be to live in a friendly suburb of somewhere!! Where the weather is good but has a distinct climate, cooler in the winter,(not too cool!) It would be in easy reach of the main shopping malls (don't mind a bit of a drive) and have facilities for the kids. Is that realistic?!!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, realistic, now its up to us all to tell you were to go then isn't it
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:48 pm
Bring me SUNSHINE!

Question Re: Where to go?!!

Yep, realistic, now its up to us all to tell you were to go then isn't it
Yeah!! Come on, you all live there!!! I'm just trying to live there!!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by emmieshaw19
Yeah!! Come on, you all live there!!! I'm just trying to live there!!
Well I am biased, I am not there yet, but I have been there and it is where I am heading, Melbourne (well south of Melbourne) for me. I know a lot of people say that it can be "a bit cool" in the winter, but it is seasonal. Andy
Old Jul 17th 2005, 12:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Well I am biased, I am not there yet, but I have been there and it is where I am heading, Melbourne (well south of Melbourne) for me. I know a lot of people say that it can be "a bit cool" in the winter, but it is seasonal. Andy
Well said, i wrote this on another thread but i think it was missed
A reply to someone saying they "heard" the weather in Melbournes dodgy..........................................

Woah woah woah!!!

Its not that good AT THE MOMENT, but its winter Its raining, like Perth, its cold, like Perth, because its winter.

The other 3 seasons are perfect here IMO, not to hot so as you can't go out for fear of frazling (apart from just a few days) and light nights to enjoy the summer evenings. The strange thing about Melbourne is that the mornings always start off cool then by 2pm it has built and doesn't begin to cool till late evening. Its like this for 3 seasons. I love the change and love the fact that i get to light my fire and put my lovely new heating on. (Oh and not spend half an hour extra in the morning applying gunk to our bods before we step outside!!)

In a couple of weeks we are off to the snow (an hour and 1/2 drive) This am we had breakfast up in the Dandenongs in front of an open fire with Rosellas sat on the windowsils. Beautiful.

The pay off for a cooler winter is the diversity of things to do ALL year round

Wher in south Melly you headed???
Charlies Dymocks....
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

Well said, i wrote this on another thread but i think it was missed
A reply to someone saying they "heard" the weather in Melbournes dodgy..........................................

Woah woah woah!!!

Its not that good AT THE MOMENT, but its winter Its raining, like Perth, its cold, like Perth, because its winter.

The other 3 seasons are perfect here IMO, not to hot so as you can't go out for fear of frazling (apart from just a few days) and light nights to enjoy the summer evenings. The strange thing about Melbourne is that the mornings always start off cool then by 2pm it has built and doesn't begin to cool till late evening. Its like this for 3 seasons. I love the change and love the fact that i get to light my fire and put my lovely new heating on. (Oh and not spend half an hour extra in the morning applying gunk to our bods before we step outside!!)

In a couple of weeks we are off to the snow (an hour and 1/2 drive) This am we had breakfast up in the Dandenongs in front of an open fire with Rosellas sat on the windowsils. Beautiful.

The pay off for a cooler winter is the diversity of things to do ALL year round

Wher in south Melly you headed???
Charlies Dymocks....
I'm headed for a place called Seaford, only really because mu uncle lives there and that is where we are going to stay. Saying that I don't think that we would move too far away from the area as I loved it there when I visited him. As much as I like the hot weather, I do like the seasons and am also a bit of a skier so thats the place for me. Andy