Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to get an english breakfast in sydney

where to get an english breakfast in sydney

Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to get an english breakfast in sydney

Dislike canned beetroot, enjoy fresh cooked and baked beetroot, especially curried.

Which brings me around to my evil vegetable.... Cauliflower, which I thought I would hate forever... until I had that fried or baked, which was my first vegetable epiphany.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Which brings me around to my evil vegetable.... Cauliflower, which I thought I would hate forever... until I had that fried or baked, which was my first vegetable epiphany.
You need a trip to Lucky Penny in Chapel Street then Ozzie. I always thought the only acceptable way to eat cauliflower was smothered in cheese sauce, then I tried their "fried cauliflower with hummus, cashew cream, a poached egg and charred bread". Fabulous.

And I love beetroot, as long as it has been nowhere near vinegar. One of the best things about this country!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
You need a trip to Lucky Penny in Chapel Street then Ozzie. I always thought the only acceptable way to eat cauliflower was smothered in cheese sauce, then I tried their "fried cauliflower with hummus, cashew cream, a poached egg and charred bread". Fabulous.

And I love beetroot, as long as it has been nowhere near vinegar. One of the best things about this country!
Great tip, and totally agree about Beetroot Had a couple of Beetroot Curries recently and they are really moreish...
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I think it's seen as a way of 'Australianising' a dish for some reason.

"How can we make this dish more authentically Australian?"

"Just shove beetroot on it."

S
The Kiwis do it too . So it must be an Australasian thing. Whoever did it first deserves a hard slap, it's just wrong
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats what put me off beetroot, they have it with everything, not even an option its just there, slapped on your plate whether you want it or not I even had salads where there was no meat or cheese, just shredded green stuff and then beetroot instead of anything useful!
I'm not hugely big on beetroot. I don't get why people obsess with breakfasts. You can get bacon and eggs with loads of things in the Anglosphere...there are places with menus where you can eat combos of toast, sausages, bacon (who would have thought!) Baked beans I can leave with breakfast: I only eat them with a spud.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The baked beans are the ones that got me going (whoops)..... I honestly dont reckon you can get them in Cafe/Restaurants/pubs around Melbournes inner north.... unless they are home made in house ones, which are quite different and probably not something you would want with a English Brekky

Turns out of all the places that does something similar to a full English breakfast.... Is the pub up the road......It's a pokies place so not high on the eating out circuit at all.... I guess people have to have something substantial after staring at a whirling pokie machine in the wee small hours.

If you look on the Menu....you can get Saganaki with it.... Even the average places cater for the locals.... Still no baked beans though.

https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/dru...rg/menu#tabtop
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Still no baked beans though.
Good. Tinned Baked Beans are an abomination. Far worse than Beetroot and that's pretty major in my world.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
There used to be a cafe on the top floor of the Menzies Arcade at Wynyard that did a proper full English as you describe - the crucial bit being baked beans.

I haven't been there for over 2 years though, so it may well have changed now. But it served a breakfast exactly as you describe!

Beans and crispy bacon are something of a rarity in Sydney cafe venues unfortunately. There is a cafe in Ivy Lane, Darlington, called 28 Acres that does a full Irish breakfast - bacon, egg, sausage, beans, spuds, black pudding and soda bread - this place really knows how to cook bacon and make it nice and crispy. Worth a visit in pursuit of your perfect breakfast.

S
Thank you to everyone that answered and to the helpful replies. I'll start with trying this one, which is near where we live in Glebe
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
Thank you to everyone that answered and to the helpful replies. I'll start with trying this one, which is near where we live in Glebe
Could you update us on your search please? I have had many sleepless nights over this. Seriously though, it will help bring closure to this post.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Gravy on fish!!

Now curry sauce on fish is a proper northern delicacy. So is chips and gravy, but never come across fish with gravy before.

Here in the south, chippy food is not the same. But we have recently found a mobile chippy run by a Mancunian, he is in the area every Wednesday and he does proper chippy chips and curry sauce but he has obviously decided gravy would be a step too far.

To the original question, I don't recall having any difficulty finding places that did a full English breakfast. Obviously not of the same quality, horrible sausages and all that, but everywhere that does breakfast did the typical English fare.

My OH's family always use to do the "Friday Night Chippy Meal" (I had never come across that even though I am also from the North of England) but the other day my OH decided he would like a "chippy tea"(he had been working over seas for quite a while and had a craving for chips etc) he went to the local shop and bought Fish and Chips with mushy peas and Gravy!!!! it amazed our two sons who were brought up in Aus as they just could not get the gravy on the meal but they tried it and .....loved it lol. I remember not long after we arrived in Aus I went to a local shopping centre with a food court, it was early morning and a few families were eating pies with tons of tomato sauce on the pies I thought what a strange combination but I go along with "whatever floats your boat" ....our youngest lol loves that combination and if he does have a pie that's how he still eats it.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo S
Could you update us on your search please? I have had many sleepless nights over this. Seriously though, it will help bring closure to this post.
Good luck and I hope you find out.