Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to find work in Perth

Where to find work in Perth

Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

lynx1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to find work in Perth

Hi everyone! we are a family of four (Oz and Brit citizens) who have been in Perth for one month. What a rollercoaster and loving it !. Great food, great people, great country ! what a relief to find somewhere to find great advice. Well where do I start with need for advice ??? so many jobs here ask for previous experience or only those who have completed certain training courses here. Mum is in her 50's and Dad in 60's any good advice on where to look, companies to contact, people to ask ? thanks guys any positive advice would be welcomed ! thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:15 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to find work in Perth

Originally Posted by lynx1979
Hi everyone! we are a family of four (Oz and Brit citizens) who have been in Perth for one month. What a rollercoaster and loving it !. Great food, great people, great country ! what a relief to find somewhere to find great advice. Well where do I start with need for advice ??? so many jobs here ask for previous experience or only those who have completed certain training courses here. Mum is in her 50's and Dad in 60's any good advice on where to look, companies to contact, people to ask ? thanks guys any positive advice would be welcomed ! thanks
www.seek.com.au
This will give you an indication of the jobs available.

A lot will depend on what skills your parents have and whether those skills a currently require by Australia. http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/

Good luck.
PS, With this weather, you not seeing Perth at it's best! Wait till you see the blue skies!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Where to find work in Perth

Thanks but I must say some simple jobs seem to require the earth to get e.g. a training course on how to make coffee I mean coffee lol
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but I must say some simple jobs seem to require the earth to get e.g. a training course on how to make coffee I mean coffee lol
Training is all part of the business here no matter how mundane the position or basic the training.

Quite a bit of age discrimination as well. I don't believe for a minute that there are thousands of jobs going begging as certain sources would like us to think.
Very much through contacts established. Even when a job add it put out on seek or the newspaper it doesn't necessary mean that there is a job.
Could well be decided internally but policy dictates putting out an add.

Luck and a lot of perseverance as well as the usual things may win through.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Where to find work in Perth

Very true I suspected as much with quite a few jobs here and I must say most people that we see working all seem to be young here in WA. Meanwhile we remain positive and enjoying all that Perth has to offer. Thanks for the advice
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Very true I suspected as much with quite a few jobs here and I must say most people that we see working all seem to be young here in WA. Meanwhile we remain positive and enjoying all that Perth has to offer. Thanks for the advice
Best of luck on your search. Pretty much the case with regards to youth or younger in positions here.
Older folk at some point seem to vanish. But has always had this California youth obsession sort of lifestyle to a point.

If able get down South for a look.To my mind far preferable than Perth. Perhaps not for work though.