Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do you want to be in 5 years time??

Where do you want to be in 5 years time??

Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do you want to be in 5 years time??

I know it is a cliche interview question, but just wondered where your hopes and dreams lie?

Sorry for being nosey, but we are all in this together!

I want to be lying on a beautiful mountainside, overlooking a bay of rich green sea, with the man I love - soft sunshine playing through the leaves of the trees above us - nothing around us except the sounds of birds. Just below us is the house that we designed, with a field backing onto it, in it two horses are grazing.

I've had a s*** week up to now, so hopefully I'll get there.............
Cas
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

sharkbait is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Where do you want to be in 5 years time??

home would be nice..........
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Where do you want to be in 5 years time??

Originally Posted by sharkbait
home would be nice..........
Where's home?
Where are you now?
You not happy?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Home is Brighton.....not that I could afford to buy there now though.

I've been here 17 years. Came over after marrying an Australian doing the European trip thing.

Its been good in lots of ways, but I've lived all over Qld and the NT and have seen the rest of the country and its getting to the stage where its a bit tiresome and it feels like the time might be coming to move to the UK and escape these endless suburbs and the preoccupation with "lifestyle" rather than having a life outside the house, pool and shopping centre.

Where are you heading in Oz ?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

I've been here 17 years. Came over after marrying an Australian doing the European trip thing.

Its been good in lots of ways, but I've lived all over Qld and the NT and have seen the rest of the country and its getting to the stage where its a bit tiresome and it feels like the time might be coming to move to the UK and escape these endless suburbs and the preoccupation with "lifestyle" rather than having a life outside the house, pool and shopping centre.

Melbourne initially, I have a job to go to there on a 457. Will apply for PR once settled for a while - then who knows?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Melbourne initially, I have a job to go to there on a 457. Will apply for PR once settled for a while - then who knows?
That sounds good. Employment can often be a problem - often requiring a dramatic career change ! So you are off on the right foot.

There are less interesting places in Oz than Melbourne, so its probably a good introduction to the country for Brits. Some of the natives are a bit pretentious for my tastes and think Melbourne is up there with London, Milan, etc etc, ( no offence intended). Also the weather of course is quite managable. Good Luck.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

That sounds good. Employment can often be a problem - often requiring a dramatic career change ! So you are off on the right foot.

There are less interesting places in Oz than Melbourne, so its probably a good introduction to the country for Brits. Some of the natives are a bit pretentious for my tastes and think Melbourne is up there with London, Milan, etc etc, ( no offence intended). Also the weather of course is quite managable. Good Luck.
Thankyou very much
Hope you too get the life you want.
Cas x
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Brighton as in the UK? Came over from there last year......

Where would I like to be?? Living in Hobart, with a view of the mountain, enough money for us to live comfortably, and in a job with variety and interest! oh - and with better health than I;'ve had for the last year!!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Pollyana]Is that Brighton as in the UK? Came over from there last year......

Yes, good old Sussex by the sea. Lived there all my life till I came over here. God, I miss that gale swept seafront at times !
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:23 am
scoobydoo

I would like to be somewhere where I feel at home, settled and comfortable with where I am. Probably will be in UK and I know I will have no regrets as we will have been here!
Also to be working and maybe studying for something - career change?
And to be healthy as I will be 40 by then! :scared:

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:25 am
scoobydoo

[QUOTE=sharkbait]
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Is that Brighton as in the UK? Came over from there last year......

Yes, good old Sussex by the sea. Lived there all my life till I came over here. God, I miss that gale swept seafront at times !

I was brought up in Eastbourne!! Love Brighton...and that great pebbly beach! And the old pier...is that still standing?

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I was brought up in Eastbourne!! Love Brighton...and that great pebbly beach! And the old pier...is that still standing?
One of them is I believe, the other, the West pier has had an incredible series of mishaps over the years. Not sure how much of its collapsed, burnt out shell remains. Eastbourne is a bit like a 1960s or 70 era Brighton, I think. Smaller and quainter.....and a bit less 'alternative' perhaps.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:33 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I know it is a cliche interview question, but just wondered where your hopes and dreams lie?

Sorry for being nosey, but we are all in this together!

I want to be lying on a beautiful mountainside, overlooking a bay of rich green sea, with the man I love - soft sunshine playing through the leaves of the trees above us - nothing around us except the sounds of birds. Just below us is the house that we designed, with a field backing onto it, in it two horses are grazing.

I've had a s*** week up to now, so hopefully I'll get there.............
Cas
Sorry I haven't replied sooner Cas, I just couldn't stand the thought of some of the cynical comments we get when we chat on the forum.

This sounds to me like a truly wonderful vision of five years from now....

Sorry if that offends anyone...
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:35 am
scoobydoo

One of them is I believe, the other, the West pier has had an incredible series of mishaps over the years. Not sure how much of its collapsed, burnt out shell remains. Eastbourne is a bit like a 1960s or 70 era Brighton, I think. Smaller and quainter.....and a bit less 'alternative' perhaps.

Full of old people too!!!! What I liked about Eastbourne was that you could walk from the town centre, along the prom, up a path to the cliffs and then you are on the Southdowns Way.
In fact, thats where I'd like to be in 5 years - on the south downs!!

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Full of old people too!!!! What I liked about Eastbourne was that you could walk from the town centre, along the prom, up a path to the cliffs and then you are on the Southdowns Way.
In fact, thats where I'd like to be in 5 years - on the south downs!!

Sounds like a plan ! See you up there !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.