Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did you have the most spending money.

View Poll Results: Which country left you with the most discretionary spending power
Australia
29.41%
UK
55.88%
Not sure
14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Where did you have the most spending money.

Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where did you have the most spending money.

Simple question really, and it's a reaction to the people going back thread. I've got a feeling that after all bills and other outgoings are taken into consideration.... That the UK, comes out in front with the most discretionary spending money left in the pocket. Which basically means choice in leisure activities.

Forget how much things cost..... just say where did you have the most Discretionary spending power.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:29 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where did you have the most spending money.

Hubbie used to give me 800 per month for my personal spending and here I get $1,500 every 4 weeks. Based on this I was going to say the UK, however, eating out is cheaper here as is waxing but clothes are more expensive so all in all I think I will have to say about the same.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:38 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

I definately had more in the UK. Back there we had a takeaway at least once a week, had 2-3 holidays per year (i worked for an airline) Kids had all the latest PS2 games, the latest nike shoes etc. I drove a new car and I could clothes shop for me when I saw something I liked.
NOW I live in New Zealand - I have bought nothing in two months for me or the kids, most of our cash goes on bills and rent. I know things will get better but its one of the things that get you down when you are supposed to be 'Living the Dream'...Hopefully when i get a part-time job and the hubbys wages go up (soon we hope) we shall be abit better off, but its hard to adjust to being 'poor'.
Sue
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where did you have the most spending money.

After just over 2 years in the UK, I am finally earning the salary I had back home.

In Australia I had a well-paid government job and a 25-hour week. In the UK I work 46 hours a week for the same amount, but my prospects of advancement in the company are far greater and if I stay with them for another two years, my salary will be higher than I earned back home.

At the moment I have more money than I had in Australia, but only because I am now married and the missus is earning. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't even be able to afford a mortgage; I'd be renting, and paying through the nose for it (as most people do over here.)

When we eventually move, I will be the sole breadwinner for a while, because we want to have kids and she doesn't want to work unless it's absolutely necessary. After the kids are a bit older, she will probably take up part-time work to help out with the costs.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 28th 2006 at 5:52 am.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
I definately had more in the UK. Back there we had a takeaway at least once a week, had 2-3 holidays per year (i worked for an airline) Kids had all the latest PS2 games, the latest nike shoes etc. I drove a new car and I could clothes shop for me when I saw something I liked.
NOW I live in New Zealand - I have bought nothing in two months for me or the kids, most of our cash goes on bills and rent. I know things will get better but its one of the things that get you down when you are supposed to be 'Living the Dream'...Hopefully when i get a part-time job and the hubbys wages go up (soon we hope) we shall be abit better off, but its hard to adjust to being 'poor'.
Sue

Another factor in this, could be that in trying to get discretionary income, people are quite likely to be working more overtime, or doing second jobs meaning even less time for leisure activities. It's all very well citing cheaper eating out, and free BBQ's. If your working all the hours under the sun just to pay for the basics, and trying to get some spending money, those cheaper options do not count for much.

After two years on these boards, I feel the aspect of discretionary spending is one of the major disatisfactions with the migration process. However one of the main factors in this, could be setting up in a new country.

I've just had 3 weeks of going out a lot, with my visiting freinds from England... I've spent more on entertainment in that time, than I did in the previous 6 months. I'm just about skint now lol.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:40 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Definately had more disposable income in the UK.....and I haven't lived there since the late 80's :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Definately had more disposable income in the UK.....and I haven't lived there since the late 80's :scared:
The two Visitors I have from the UK at present have really opened my eyes in this direction (they are friends of my much younger brother)..... The younger visitor is 28. Claims to live hand to mouth, Earns circa 22,000 quid a year (warranty controller for major vehicle manufacturer). Buying his own flat in MK, cost about 115,000 quid. When he goes back from Aussie, He has to go to Spain in May for a wedding, Then in August, Poland for another wedding.

Not bad for a hand to mouth existence, 3 different countries within 8 months. Company supplies latest car as lease agreement. He also has a big night out at least twice every 3 weeks.

The other bloke, Transport Manager, 30yo split up with his Girlfriend, sold up and travelling the world. Very cashed up, going to stay in Aussie for two years, then Canada. Not interested in Materialism. Cant say I blame him, as he tried the everyday lifestyle and circumstances kicked him in the teeth. There again, he is cashed up and doesn't need to worry about dosh for at least 5 years I reckon. Plus he has a Transport managers license and experience to fall back on.

I dont know any Aussie in these premium positions at such a young age.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The two Visitors I have from the UK at present have really opened my eyes in this direction (they are friends of my much younger brother)..... The younger visitor is 28. Claims to live hand to mouth, Earns circa 22,000 quid a year (warranty controller for major vehicle manufacturer). Buying his own flat in MK, cost about 115,000 quid. When he goes back from Aussie, He has to go to Spain in May for a wedding, Then in August, Poland for another wedding.

Not bad for a hand to mouth existence, 3 different countries within 8 months. Company supplies latest car as lease agreement. He also has a big night out at least twice every 3 weeks.

I dont know any Aussie in these premium positions at such a young age.
To be honest, 22K and a 115K mortgage does not leave much. I had a 78k mortgage and earnt 25k at the same age. I was always skint.

Remember, many people are in debt, and people in their mid 20s don't worry too much about what goes on the credit card, even if the trips are dirt cheap breaks to E Europe.

I have more disposable cash here in Australia, I have gone from GBP30,000 to AUS80-100k. All my Aussie peers are cashed up, they do trips to QLD, NT, overseas, they get to Sydney for the weekend. One has paid off his mortgage already and owns his Audi outright.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Mar 28th 2006 at 7:14 am.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
To be honest, 22K and a 115K mortgage does not leave much. I had a 78k mortgage and earnt 25k at the same age. I was always skint.

Remember, many people are in debt, and people in their mid 20s don't worry too much about what goes on the credit card, even if the trips are dirt cheap breaks to E Europe.

I have more disposable cash here in Australia, I have gone from GBP30,000 to AUS80-100k. All my Aussie peers are cashed up, they do trips to QLD, NT, overseas, they get to Sydney for the weekend. One has paid off his mortgage already and owns his Audi outright.
Badge, you have had such a positive emigration experience. A lot of it could be put down to positive attitude, what else do you feel has contributed?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't answer this one honestly! We are spending like there's no tomorrow, having sold many things in the UK which now have to be replaced. Ask a new arrival when he is completely settled and you might get the opposite answer!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Badge, you have had such a positive emigration experience. A lot of it could be put down to positive attitude, what else do you feel has contributed?

Cheers

Buzzy
The Aussies have a saying "FIGJAM", it bloody well applies to me!

OK I'm going to tell you abit about myself, bear with me, because what happened 20 years ago applies now. Sorry for the length.

No, I'll be really honest with you, alot of it is luck. But alot of it is just a feel for things, I can't explain it. You either have it or you don't. I'm the bloke that just gets into corners, gets in the right place at the right time. The only thing I stuffed up was not buying a house in the UK early enough lol, and maybe even spreading myself around a bit too much. They say a jack of all trades, a master of none, of me its true. My mother says I am basically a 'salesman' which is not fair as I do have some quals somewhere. I threw my law degree paper in the bin when I got it as I didn't think it represented an achievement at that stage in my life.

Frankly I've had a charmed life, I can't work out where I went right because I was hardly priveleged financially infact we were dirt poor. My mother never had a washing machine or a car until I left home. When I was young all my mates used to call me "jammy bastard", I remember, frankly this is embarassing, I only had to walk in to a classroom, and I always got to sit next to, and get the coffee break with the cute girl in the class within 5 minutes of us all walking in. Even if I didn't sit next to her, she would call across, "want a coffee?" All the blokes used to nudge each other and say, "How does he do it", and shake their heads. "See look he's about to do it again".

Basically, I find that honesty, negotiation and being personable goes along way - always. My grandfather, who was quite a senior bod in the church died a few years back and he had a obituary which read that his single most important contribution was that he was tough as guts, but thoroughly polite with it, utterly courteous. (I can't remember the courtesy though!)

Migration : Righto, this is my single piece of advice, I realise that we are all different and have different backgrounds and experiences - all vital. But the single most important 'character flaw' that alot of 'failed' (dirty word, sorry) migrants have is the inability to relate to people, or bring experience to bear in a focused and timely manner. They have all these quals, experiences and money, but they can't get that last 5pc, can't close the deal. It applies even, up to a point, to Mike Stanton, arguably a clever bloke, and one of Australia's most concise and pointed critics.

Hutch said it quite well once. He said that alot of complainers are Middle Englanders - in some ways its true. They are so proud to be, perhaps, liberal, well educated English people and then they come across Aussies in suburbia and then can't adjust and blame everyone else except themselves. The irony, is, is that it is because of their privelege that it backfires on them. They can't see the wood for the trees. But they are no better than the Aussies they criticise, they say things like " we have a great life, I earn xxx, I have yyy, 2/3 holidays overseas". Then they say (basically) "I can't relate to anyone, except for my Mum who lives around the corner, and the blokes down the pub, and no Aussie laughs at my jokes", seconds after they say "everybody is not funny enough, they're all stupid, shoddy work etc, have never left Australia" The mind boggles!

I meet up with the only group of British blokes I know once in a while, twice a year, and some of them still haven't moved on. There're still all standing in the corner, pretending they're back in London and still looking suspiciously at outsiders in that quintessially (sic) English way. It was the first thing I noticed, I mentioned it to my wife when I got home. God! "English blokes are funny!" Of course, it was very funny and obvious when you haven't seen more than one Englishman at a time for a few years. I've got used to Aussies generally taken you completely at face value in an initial encounter.

When I was young I was always learning, trying new things. I'm really into life experience and character building - as you know I am HOT on this. To be honest, I learnt them at a very early age. Up to when I was 17, I was a poor, middle class bloke from a kind of a 'posh', but ordinary, school. That year, and for years after, I was mixing with Etonians, priveleged English people, it was scary mixing with blokes oozing confidence, stunt men, blokes who skied for the country, blokes that went to debs balls, blokes who'd been on TV and shagged a different bird every night, often in front of you in front of everyone in the bar just to prove they could, at precisely the time I also had to deal and work with council kids form South London, get involved in all the things they did - like eat glass - and get in to fights I didn't think was a good idea - and lead them in situations where most people wouldn't, this gives you a kind of experience which you can't pay for anywhere, in fact can't get anywhere elsewhere.

It teaches you to break alot of things down to human character and read between the lines. When you about to jump out of an aircraft with 8 blokes, or have to advise an 18 year in place of a father at the age of 21, or brief and advise a roomfull of the most senior men in the country in their field, all in their 40s and 50s, when you yourself are only 23, you really learn about people.

Its not since I came to Australia that I realised how important these life skills would be - I always took them for granted.

You either get it or you don't. I love aspects of the UK but I actually find it quite flawed, in a seriously funny and pathetic way - it's almost tragic - just like Australia is. That's why I find it all so amusing, but nonetheless, I find that my life in Australia just fulfills everything nicely, thankyou.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:57 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Simple question really, and it's a reaction to the people going back thread. I've got a feeling that after all bills and other outgoings are taken into consideration.... That the UK, comes out in front with the most discretionary spending money left in the pocket. Which basically means choice in leisure activities.

Forget how much things cost..... just say where did you have the most Discretionary spending power.
Australia. Our combined earnings are more than we had in the UK and as yet we don't have a mortgage. If and when we get a mortgage, this may well change ......
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
The Aussies have a saying "FIGJAM", it bloody well applies to me!

OK I'm going to tell you abit about myself, bear with me, because what happened 20 years ago applies now. Sorry for the length.

No, I'll be really honest with you, alot of it is luck. But alot of it is just a feel for things, I can't explain it. You either have it or you don't. I'm the bloke that just gets into corners, gets in the right place at the right time. The only thing I stuffed up was not buying a house in the UK early enough lol, and maybe even spreading myself around a bit too much. They say a jack of all trades, a master of none, of me its true. My mother says I am basically a 'salesman' which is not fair as I do have some quals somewhere. I threw my law degree paper in the bin when I got it as I didn't think it represented an achievement at that stage in my life.

Frankly I've had a charmed life, I can't work out where I went right because I was hardly priveleged financially infact we were dirt poor. My mother never had a washing machine or a car until I left home. When I was young all my mates used to call me "jammy bastard", I remember, frankly this is embarassing, I only had to walk in to a classroom, and I always got to sit next to, and get the coffee break with the cute girl in the class within 5 minutes of us all walking in. Even if I didn't sit next to her, she would call across, "want a coffee?" All the blokes used to nudge each other and say, "How does he do it", and shake their heads. "See look he's about to do it again".

Basically, I find that honesty, negotiation and being personable goes along way - always. My grandfather, who was quite a senior bod in the church died a few years back and he had a obituary which read that his single most important contribution was that he was tough as guts, but thoroughly polite with it, utterly courteous. (I can't remember the courtesy though!)

Migration : Righto, this is my single piece of advice, I realise that we are all different and have different backgrounds and experiences - all vital. But the single most important 'character flaw' that alot of 'failed' (dirty word, sorry) migrants have is the inability to relate to people, or bring experience to bear in a focused and timely manner. They have all these quals, experiences and money, but they can't get that last 5pc, can't close the deal. It applies even, up to a point, to Mike Stanton, arguably a clever bloke, and one of Australia's most concise and pointed critics.

Hutch said it quite well once. He said that alot of complainers are Middle Englanders - in some ways its true. They are so proud to be, perhaps, liberal, well educated English people and then they come across Aussies in suburbia and then can't adjust and blame everyone else except themselves. The irony, is, is that it is because of their privelege that it backfires on them. They can't see the wood for the trees. But they are no better than the Aussies they criticise, they say things like " we have a great life, I earn xxx, I have yyy, 2/3 holidays overseas". Then they say (basically) "I can't relate to anyone, except for my Mum who lives around the corner, and the blokes down the pub, and no Aussie laughs at my jokes", seconds after they say "everybody is not funny enough, they're all stupid, shoddy work etc, have never left Australia" The mind boggles!

I meet up with the only group of British blokes I know once in a while, twice a year, and some of them still haven't moved on. There're still all standing in the corner, pretending they're back in London and still looking suspiciously at outsiders in that quintessially (sic) English way. It was the first thing I noticed, I mentioned it to my wife when I got home. God! "English blokes are funny!" Of course, it was very funny and obvious when you haven't seen more than one Englishman at a time for a few years. I've got used to Aussies generally taken you completely at face value in an initial encounter.

When I was young I was always learning, trying new things. I'm really into life experience and character building - as you know I am HOT on this. To be honest, I learnt them at a very early age. Up to when I was 17, I was a poor, middle class bloke from a kind of a 'posh', but ordinary, school. That year, and for years after, I was mixing with Etonians, priveleged English people, it was scary mixing with blokes oozing confidence, stunt men, blokes who skied for the country, blokes that went to debs balls, blokes who'd been on TV and shagged a different bird every night, often in front of you in front of everyone in the bar just to prove they could, at precisely the time I also had to deal and work with council kids form South London, get involved in all the things they did - like eat glass - and get in to fights I didn't think was a good idea - and lead them in situations where most people wouldn't, this gives you a kind of experience which you can't pay for anywhere, in fact can't get anywhere elsewhere.

It teaches you to break alot of things down to human character and read between the lines. When you about to jump out of an aircraft with 8 blokes, or have to advise an 18 year in place of a father at the age of 21, or brief and advise a roomfull of the most senior men in the country in their field, all in their 40s and 50s, when you yourself are only 23, you really learn about people.

Its not since I came to Australia that I realised how important these life skills would be - I always took them for granted.

You either get it or you don't. I love aspects of the UK but I actually find it quite flawed, in a seriously funny and pathetic way - it's almost tragic - just like Australia is. That's why I find it all so amusing, but nonetheless, I find that my life in Australia just fulfills everything nicely, thankyou.
Thanks Badge for the insight. Having lived in NZ, and not seeing a single other English person for 2 years there, just knowing Kiwis, I know what you mean. Equally I think that our emigration will have a greater chance of success if we do not cut ourselves off from fellow migrants completely.

Will let you know whether I'm right when I do it.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Great post badge. One thing my visiting freinds have appreciated is the freindliness and openess of my Aussie freinds. In fact one great experience was going up to my local pub, not a pub I would choose initially either. I spotted a work mate in there, Entered and before we knew it had a group of people around us, most of whom I dont know from Adam. Everyone shouting rounds, and genuinely interested as to what us visiting "poms" had to say.

My freinds said that just wouldn't happen in England, your more likely to be ignored than noticed.

Back to the thread, the poll is not going as I anticpiated lol !!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thanks Badge for the insight. Having lived in NZ, and not seeing a single other English person for 2 years there, just knowing Kiwis, I know what you mean. Equally I think that our emigration will have a greater chance of success if we do not cut ourselves off from fellow migrants completely.

Will let you know whether I'm right when I do it.

Cheers

Buzzy
The other thing is, leave no stone unturned, especially initially, as it gets harder as you go further and settle. this applies to everything, and everybody, sports, jobs, hobbies, offers. After 2 years, and in a comfort zone, I might find I can't be bothered to say Hello to someone when after a few days in-country you have nothing to lose..

Those migrants who are happy in the company of a variety of people from different backgrounds and experiences to themselves will also have a 'better chance'.

Back to topic, Mr Eagle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.