Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Old May 11th 2010, 6:53 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I read recently that 300 years ago, people in London basically spoke like Australians do now. As none of us was around then I doubt whether we will ever know if this is true.
l think that is wrong l remember reading in a histroy book someone in the early 1800's noted that people born in Australia or first generation Australians had a different accent or a new accent that was different from any type of British accent.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think the same when I hear thick-ass Midlands, Manchester, Welsh accents. Really magnified.
The south african one is pretty awful as well
Old May 11th 2010, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

catshep is an unknown quantity at this point

Seen Anna Friel being interviewed by Jonathon Ross years ago about a film in which she had an Australian accent. She explained how she "mastered" the accent something along the lines of talking like a cockney but then having to squint your eyes because of all the sunshine and then out comes australian
Old May 11th 2010, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
Why do Canadians have pity much the same accent as people from the USA and not their own accent? and where did the American accent come from? the Irish?
The American accent comes from Olde English and so does their spelling of the English language. Ironically their English is more English than current modern day English English.

Since the first settlers arrived in the US, Europe has had a massive effect on the English language, accent and spelling and the Americans haven't had the same influence.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Ive noticed in recent years the Aussie accent (particularly among teenagers), has started to develop a slight American twang to it.
Too much American TV.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadieb
At least you can avoid those places in the UK and not hear those accents, unfortunately in Oz every one has the same nasaly drawl
Hence no escape from that high pitched drawn out accent.
I am no expert but find it as interesting as you clearly do and have made these comments in the past.The interesting aspect of it for me is the diction, not the accent. I like the diction - the British common accent is stilted with the awful glottal stop which seems to be getting worse - makes UK documentaries cringeworthy. Not everyone speaks RP in the UK any more. The most dreadful English regional accents are far worse than the Australian.

The worst Australian voices have a nasal, even rasping quality but the worst tends to be owned by the lower orders, with a better variant with superior diction in use in the country. I confess that I have been here long enough that I hear it from my own lips at times...I don't mind the country variant - much like I don't mind the true Cockney accent - not the faux Estuary that has been adopted by the SouthEast.

Another annoying Australian accent is the female surburban variant - with the infamous rising intonation mixed in with Callifornian Valley girl babble. Another male annoyance is when the owner sounds distinctly gay. These accents seeem to be adopted only on public transport or in suburbia - I have never heard them in common usage by friends, acquaintances and colleagues.

It's interesting that you have found no relief from awful Australian accents -professional and educated Australians - in Melbourne at least - moderate the drawl and although they don't adopt RP, have pleasant diction which is missing from many of the lower English orders - and end up with a very pleasant English international accent. When I first came across it I found myself asking if they were English. One such accent comes from the Western Districts of Victoria. One of my wife's friends speaks with RP but it was beaten into her at school. A mate of mine has a public schoolboy accent but less high pitched. He did go to a very smart school though by his own admission.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but its an awful sounding accent. One of the teens hit 15 and developed what was either a teengage mumble or an aussie drawl, I just told him, "cant understand a word your saying" till he spoke properly again. The crazy thing was the kids teachers had all commented on how well they spoke, manners and accent up till then. I would really hate daughters to develop the aussie accent, and the women talk so LOUD, why its awful.

I have to deal with a lot of aussie tradesmen on the phone, it really is hard sometimes to understand the Yeahhhhh, Naaaahhhh, gerrrrrrr, the only words that are clear are the swear words

And I hate the T being pronounced as a D. Dwenny bucks, the news punctuated with the 'dwennys' drives me mad.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I have to deal with a lot of aussie tradesmen on the phone, it really is hard sometimes to understand the Yeahhhhh, Naaaahhhh, gerrrrrrr, the only words that are clear are the swear words

And I hate the T being pronounced as a D. Dwenny bucks, the news punctuated with the 'dwennys' drives me mad.
Some of that would be definitely QLD. In Victoria there is definite departures from the worst.

Average English accents would sound better if people lost the glotttal stop or the lazy regionalism. Not the accent - the lazy part of it.

Many average Australian accents would sound better if they lost the rasp. It's a shame because many Victorians have nice vowels and sound consonants - losing the rasp would be almost easy. And that's precisly what some Melbournians do.

Years ago, when I was in my late teens, I had people asking me if I was from South Africa. Most bizarre. But there are South African accents which are influenced by RP.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:58 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse, could all come from wherever Loyd Grossman was spawned.

Or Chelmsford.
Old May 11th 2010, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
A mate of mine in England was from Queensland and we'd all piss ourselves laughing when he said 'pool' and 'school' in that true Queensland fashion.
How's it go? I remember a boy at school from Middlesborough who had everyone in stitches when he said 'school'. It was 'sckuuooouuul' and he still managed to strangle a vowel or two in a way I can't show or fathom, even now!

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Could be worse, could all come from wherever Loyd Grossman was spawned.

Or Chelmsford.
My mother spent time in South Essex and clearly loathed the accent which she said was vastly inferior to a Cockney accent. She said it was a 'garbled' version of it - which it is - a version I mean.

From there comes Estuary and it has been making inroads into London and the rest of the South East ever since.

Jad's kids are adopting the aussy 'teen' accent, English teens in the SouthEast adopt their teen version of Estuary. You can but hope that all teens moderate it as they move into the worforce...
Old May 11th 2010, 11:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The south african one is pretty awful as well
It can be - especially thick Afrikaans accented english. I on the other hand have a sexy, mild English-South African accent.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 11th 2010 at 11:32 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Or Chelmsford.
The local pronunciation is "Chompsford".
Old May 11th 2010, 11:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
my least favourite is the middle class english accent.
Agree. I detest that middle England, middle class, 'non' accent - although there are variations in all the countries of the UK - that a lot (maybe even a majority) of people have over there now.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 11th 2010 at 11:39 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How's it go? I remember a boy at school from Middlesborough who had everyone in stitches when he said 'school'. It was 'sckuuooouuul' and he still managed to strangle a vowel or two in a way I can't show or fathom, even now!

My mother spent time in South Essex and clearly loathed the accent which she said was vastly inferior to a Cockney accent. She said it was a 'garbled' version of it - which it is - a version I mean.

From there comes Estuary and it has been making inroads into London and the rest of the South East ever since.

Jad's kids are adopting the aussy 'teen' accent, English teens in the SouthEast adopt their teen version of Estuary. You can but hope that all teens moderate it as they move into the worforce...
Many white kids in the UK now talk like black kids. I have no problem with this - I guess it comes from the influence of black (hip hop) culture, music, TV etc. Sign of the times really.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:39 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Some of that would be definitely QLD. In Victoria there is definite departures from the worst.
Having read your last post and sat here odding quietly in agreement with I have to pick you up on this.

Have you spend any time in professional Brisbane circles? Your constant references to Qld accents are not fully correct.

I'd still maintain that a "Modern Professional Australian" accent is a nationwide phenomenon and can be clearly distinguished from the "Rural Australian" ('haaaaaws it gawwwwwn?') and ts close relative "Urban Bogan Australian".

All of these accents occur all over the country as far as I've seen and there are very few people in the business world who havent at least moved away from their 'native' accent towards the more accepted "Modern Australian".

Teenagers always seem to gravitate towards what you refer to as 'lower order' accents - I know as a young teen I would have sounded distinctly esturine - but its a phase most grow out of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.