Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where in australia to live?

where in australia to live?

Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:57 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default where in australia to live?

Hiya have posted a few threads now and have read others but still cant decide where to live in oz. Originally it was the gold coast but reading other peoples views has made me reconsider. AS we have never been to oz before this will all be new as soon as house is sold we hope to be off. We are looking for somewhere that is warm but not as if i cant breathe, to be out of the city, close to beaches in a nice community not to heavy populated but not out in the sticks as we have children we have to think of schools etc, so I would just like to hear what everyone else has to say about where they live or are moving to, to give me some ideas would be grateful of any info
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: where in australia to live?

hello, we are going to bunbury just south of perth, about 2 hours so just enough out of the city. we havent been there yet but we have done lots of research and it looks lovely!!! good luck with everything!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula - South Frankston, Mt.Eliza, Mornington & Mt.Martha. See http://www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org/ The city is about an hour away from these places but they are not too built up (on the edge of the wine region, horsey and lots of cattle stud farms) and have good facilities for families including good schools, community spirit, plenty of activities, good beaches etc. If you are into sailing, diving etc. it is a great place to be.

Last edited by Caroline G; Feb 10th 2007 at 9:20 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Hi we spent twelve months in oz last year on a work visa and drove all the way round oz we spent 6 months in perth which for us was far the best place. Hot but not too humid in summer and mild winters, great for jobs beaches, schools and just general lifestyle. We wasnt mad on queensland very hot and sticky but very nice. Then we loved sydney just too much hustle and bustle similar like uk with sun but better much the same for melbourne but nice coastal in victoria in general and adelaide seemed a little behind the times for us. We are moving to wa probably north of perth. Mind you albany and bunbury are also great places just not sure on job front. If you fancy looking up jobs in wa go and have a look at the west newspaper it will give you ideas on jobs and houseprices. Wherever you choose the whole of oz is a great place and i would live in all the states they all have there own merits and rewards.
goodluck
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about sunshine coast? Some nice areas there, close to the beach so theres a nice breeze and good schools. We're looking at going there. House prices are still quite good as well so thats a bonus. we're thinking of a 750m2 plot with a plantation homes house on top!! not 100% sure where yet but good high school and beach are on our wish list!!!

Sister-in-law is building a beautiful plantation house in ipswich, more inland brisbane, supposed to be v'v'v'hot

Sam
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

gerberworld is an unknown quantity at this point

We travelled around Oz with 2 kids under 4 in 2004. We loved it so much that we applied for residency upon our return to the UK. After 2 years of forms forms forms we're moving this year....but where too?!?!?

We were thinking Perth (my sister lives there) but have decided instead to spend another few months on the road until we decide. We're leaning towards Melbourne at the momemt but seem to change our minds all the time.

We haven't been to Adelaide before but house prices look very attractive.

It all looks good though...
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Perth. Best place in Australia by far.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gerberworld
We travelled around Oz with 2 kids under 4 in 2004. We loved it so much that we applied for residency upon our return to the UK. After 2 years of forms forms forms we're moving this year....but where too?!?!?

We were thinking Perth (my sister lives there) but have decided instead to spend another few months on the road until we decide. We're leaning towards Melbourne at the momemt but seem to change our minds all the time.

We haven't been to Adelaide before but house prices look very attractive.

It all looks good though...
We have been in Perth for 2 years but will be moving to Melbourne in April, we have two kids under 6 and have enjoyed our time in Perth but feel that Melbourne has more variety to offer.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:50 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We're heading for Melbourne because on paper it ticks all our boxes. Haven't actually been there before though

Last edited by Kapri; Feb 11th 2007 at 2:50 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:54 pm
Just wanna be there

paul and Lynz will become famous soon enoughpaul and Lynz will become famous soon enough

We're hoping to move to Adelaide, we're going out next year to have a look around
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jonjelly
we are going to bunbury just south of perth, about 2 hours so just enough out of the city.

I read somewhere that Bunbury has the best climate in Aus for living. We drove through it last year and stopped off. Its small but looked a fantastic place to live.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Perth. Best place in Australia by far.
Each to their own. Last year we did some touring of perth and it's areas around it. I have to say it is nice and very relaxed.

However, EVERYWHERE we went around Perth was english people, it felt like a little Britian. Depending on your view of little Britian you may or may not love it. My view was that it was nice to visit, but I don't think I could live there.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice

We are undecided also. We gained our PR visa last year with every intention of heading for the Gold coast. We have spent quite some time there over the last 3 trips and it almost feels like home. We were due to make the move in August this year, however due to a change in circumstances we are having to wait at least until 2008 if not a little longer. We are also having to lower our budget a bit as we will not be taking over as much capital. So in light of this we are now thinking of Adelaide, apparently lower living costs etc. However jobs and good wages might be more difficult. Its now a big decision again considering we were 100% Gold Coast. for what its worth here are my opinions of the Cities we have spent time in:-

PERTH - Never been there so no comment

BRISBANE - Lovely city, but very hustle bustle as you would expect. Not sure if we could make the transition from a large town where we live now to a big city. Would be nice to travel into but not sure I would want to live there.

GOLD COAST - The Aussie dream? We loved it, even when we took away the holiday aspect away we could really see ourselves settled there, and really feel at home when we are there. However you are paying a premium for being there and knowing that we could have similar properties in other areas paying less rent/mortgage giving us more spare income might play on our minds.

CAIRNS - Beautiful. If we didn't have kids and there futures to think of, it would be our No 1 choice. However although a city and certainly not out of the way, we got the impression that career opportunities we less available than bigger cities.

MELBOURNE - Great place. However we have spent about a month in Melbourne in total over 3 trips in Aussie summer and the weather has been poor every time. Now I know this is probably a narrow minded view, and our relatives in Melbourne tell us they do get sun most of the time, we just haven't warmed to it I'm afraid.

ADELAIDE - The contender. We loved Adelaide and ever since spending time there it has always played on our mind if we were making the right choice in the Gold Coast. The lure of a smaller city (like a mini Brisbane maybe)? Lower house prices and a generally more laid back standard of living is most appealing.

Anyway. Just my general observations and nothing much to base your decision on. However I think where you want to live will depend vary much on what lifestyle you want for you and your family. Good luck.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

dr-dak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by collybabe24
Hiya have posted a few threads now and have read others but still cant decide where to live in oz. Originally it was the gold coast but reading other peoples views has made me reconsider. AS we have never been to oz before this will all be new as soon as house is sold we hope to be off. We are looking for somewhere that is warm but not as if i cant breathe, to be out of the city, close to beaches in a nice community not to heavy populated but not out in the sticks as we have children we have to think of schools etc, so I would just like to hear what everyone else has to say about where they live or are moving to, to give me some ideas would be grateful of any info
Sydney: Amazing city if your in the right area...price is a factor...can be expensive like London,uk.
East beaches like coogee, but more suited for good house prices would be sutherland 'the shire'. South of sydney and not to far from airport.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:20 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney - over priced, over populated, technically in recession. Unless you have a real burning desire to saddle yourself with a large mortgage or a long commute into work, go somewhere else.

Perth - never been

Darwin - hot, sweaty and with a lot of character (and characters).

Gold Coast - can only comment on the bits I've been to, but all those towers of units make me feel giddy

Adelaide - spacious, laid back, but a bit too small city for me

Brisbane - bit of a trek to get to a beach, and not good if you find people walking around in their bare feet offensive

Sunshine Coast - lovely, but the loveliest bits are also very expensive unfortunately

Melbourne - if the climate was like Sydney's, I'd live there without a doubt

Does any of that help??!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.