Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When you get to Australia....HELP!!

Wikiposts

When you get to Australia....HELP!!

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: When you get to Australia....HELP!!

take a look at this

http://www.freewebs.com/kprentalsinoz/index.htm

Nick
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

red dawn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickos12
Does anyone know of anything like this on the Gold Coast - not sure what area yet but open to suggestions
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by red dawn
Does anyone know of anything like this on the Gold Coast - not sure what area yet but open to suggestions
Hi Red dawn
we stayed in some holiday appartments that were really cheap for where they were - Main Beach.Right by beach & 5mins from Surfers. We stayed for 4weeks which made it cheaper.This gave us time to look around to see where we want to settle. We are now in a 3bed townhouse in a lovely complex in Robina for 6months until we buy. Didn't really want to stay in a complex but now i'm here I really like it. It has big pool, BBQ area and a friendly manager! Most of all it is cheap compared to other places we looked at and we don't want to waste too much money renting as it will mean a bigger deposit when we do buy!
If you want the details PM me.
Karen x
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

If anyone is coming to Melbourne I can recommend http://www.australianhomeaway.com
I had heard of them from this site where someone else recommended them.

We have been renting short term fully furnished with them for 6 weeks now and everything has been pretty good.

Bob and Sandra run the show, with Susan working there during the week.
Bob will take the p*ss out of you if you start a bit of banter, he is pretty funny. It is not like dealing with a big corporation, these guys really go the extra mile to help you.

They are good at telling you about the areas where you are likely to find work in your field. They have also been able to move us closer to where we want, as properties become available. They have about 15 or 20 round Melbourne I think.

We were particularly difficult customers cos we had very little notice and we arrived the week before the Melbourne cup. Accom becomes very hard for that week. We have moved quite a few times round their properties because of the last minute booking but I think we have been lucky. Because they don’t have that many properties you are probably best to plan ahead as far as possible. However, it has suited us to move round and see different areas and now we are in a house we can stay in until we decide to move on.

Here’s the real advantages of this outfit, for me anyway.

Pretty cheap prices compared to the other furnished accommodation that I saw.

You can rent anything from a week to a year
Only 2 weeks security bond
Only 2 weeks notice if you want to move on - (We have still not sorted out where in Melbourne we want to live permanently, or even if we want to buy or go for a long term unfurnished rental, so this suits us better than locking into a long term rental)
All the places we have been have had a phone which allows local calls. They run an honesty system where you count up the local calls at 20c a time.
- great for getting on internet as soon as you are here, just get an optus prepaid internet CD from a post shop or dick smith or optus shop etc, also gives you an Aussie email address immediately. I just got unlimited dialup for 45 days for $34 prepaid, so pretty good for checking out houses and jobs. You don’t need an address or account, just buy the disk.
- great for phoning UK, just buy a phonecard from a newsagent, you then dial a local number and I got 600 minutes for $10 with no minimum or connection fee.

Regarding prices, we found the campsites were going to be $450 pw (discounted for a 6 weeks stay) so prices are quite similar or in fact more there.
So far we have stayed in three 1~2bed apartment or units between $250pw and $350pw and we have been lucky enough to have a deck and space round us at all the places. Its worth having a look at their web site, the prices are on there.

We originally intended to go for a campsite and then look for a long term unfurnished rental. Unfurnished rentals tend to be for 6 months minimum and so seemed a dodgy bet for us without seeing them first. Problem was we arrived the week before Melbourne cup, and we couldn’t find anything in our price range for the cup week. So that meant moving out of Melbourne for that week (not good for jobs or sorting out all the things you need to do) or being forced to find a long term rental in the first week. We didn’t know how easy that was and some posts suggested that there are a lot of nasty houses for rent.

The way it’s worked out though, we are really glad we went for the short term rental with Australian home away, even though its costing $1400 a month just now. The flexibility of staying as long as we want and just give 2 weeks notice is ideal. In reality I imagine we will be able to give more notice than that especially if we decide to buy.

The timing is lousy now though, cos if I don’t find a job in the next couple of weeks, I will be paying out for a while with nothing coming in, until things pick up again mid feb, job wise. At present, I think I am being strung along by a few potential employers who don’t want to pay me for when the place closes over xmas anyway.