Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When we land in Australia do we need to do anything at customs??

When we land in Australia do we need to do anything at customs??

Old May 13th 2006, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of
Default When we land in Australia do we need to do anything at customs??

when we land for the first time with our sir visas do we go through customs as we have when visited for a holiday or is there a separate way through passport control
thankyou
Old May 13th 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When we land in Australia do we need to do anything at customs??

Originally Posted by coffeebean
when we land for the first time with our sir visas do we go through customs as we have when visited for a holiday or is there a separate way through passport control
thankyou
I'd say everyone needs to go through customs.
Old May 13th 2006, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of

Thankyou - i meant which que do we go through and do we need to go to any other area at airport too
Old May 13th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou - i meant which que do we go through and do we need to go to any other area at airport too
Don't think there would be a separate queue. I'm sure they'll tell you where to go.
Old May 13th 2006, 8:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You simply line up as normal with everyone else not on Australian passports. The immigration officer will simply stamp your passport - maybe you will get a welcome to Australia depending on the mood

No song, dance, fanfare or anything special to do.
Old May 13th 2006, 8:13 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

thankyou
Hiya,
if I remember, you have to go in a que for non Australian residents and have your passport scanned and stamped, and then everyone goes through customs, either the green channel, or something to declare.

Bye
Mark
Old May 13th 2006, 11:59 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou

Sing, dance and announce very loudly that the process you have been through is finally completed!!!!!!!

xRachx
Old May 14th 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Like it - may well just do that
Old May 14th 2006, 11:06 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou
This applies to Perth airport, so I assume all others as well.....

Queue as you would at any customs in any other country. If you have an Australian passport go to that queue, if you have a 'foreign' passport, go to that queue.
If two 747's have just landed, be prepared for a long queue!

After you collect your bags, decide on whether you want to go throught the red or the green chanel and then your luggage has to be re x rayed before you leave arrivals.
Be very careful you have not bought any food in your luggage that is not permittied, even things like cheese etc from the in flight meals will be taken away.

Neil.
Old May 15th 2006, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice

Originally Posted by h2oskineil

Queue as you would at any customs in any other country. If you have an Australian passport go to that queue, if you have a 'foreign' passport, go to that queue.

After you collect your bags, decide on whether you want to go throught the red or the green chanel and then your luggage has to be re x rayed before you leave arrivals.
Be very careful you have not bought any food in your luggage that is not permittied, even things like cheese etc from the in flight meals will be taken away.

Neil.
Our experience in Sydney was slightly different. After getting off the plane we put all of our remainning food, including the baby's stuff into the bins provided. When we got to customs he said that we should have kept hold of it and they would just take anything that was prohibited. He said that most of the bab's stuff would have been OK.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil

Neil.
Cheese and fruit can't be brought in - whether from the inflight meals or prepackaged. Milk and meat products are banned. Most other food stuffs are ok - check on the AQIS website HERE
Old May 15th 2006, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Abhi is on a distinguished road

You can take baby's food but you need to declare the same to the customs, it holds good with any other food item that you would like to take it along with you, You cannot carry any fruits/cheese In case you have forgotten to declare it or trying to hide, be prepared for a fine of minimum 220AU$
This is the link that gives the details
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20
Old May 15th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abhi
You can take baby's food but you need to declare the same to the customs, it holds good with any other food item that you would like to take it along with you, You cannot carry any fruits/cheese In case you have forgotten to declare it or trying to hide, be prepared for a fine of minimum 220AU$
This is the link that gives the details
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20
We've just come through Melbourne at 6am as returning residents for the first time. We got a welcome home

I think the basic rule is declare everything. Just queue with the tourists etc, but be very careful to own up to everything you've got. If you're not allowed it and you've declared it,they just take it away. If you haven't declared it, and they find it (and they will, I think!) then you get fined. I declared my violin as it was over $900 worth and made of wood. I didn't have to pay duty as I've owned it for more than a year, and they didnt' even open the case to look at the wood! Very friendly and helpful, for 5:45 am!
Old May 15th 2006, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Gambler is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe somebody know or has similar experience.
I forget half of apple in my bag and have cached by the customs officer.
I didn't receive any fine but they promise me to entry my name to the data base.
What does at mean?
If that have some consequences.
Thanks.
All answered very appreciate.
Old May 15th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Abhi is on a distinguished road

Yes even we had our names added to their database.
Quarentine officer told us as this was our first offence (we accidentally left our baby food in a different bag and told the QO that there was nothing in that one, he eventually checked both our bags and found that) they would let us go without a fine, next time we do the same mistake, we would be fined... so we need to be careful the next time, entering into australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.