Reload this Page >

when to sell UK haouse

when to sell UK haouse

Old May 28th 2008, 9:32 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: when to sell UK haouse

Originally Posted by aditicoolin
Dear all,
I am probably moving to Oz in November.Is it advisable to sell the house and then move or sell it later.What are the tax implications of either.Please Advise
Aditi
Where you are selling can be quite a factor in this also as you need to take the regional markets into account.

Good article in the TimesOnline last week on this.

House prices: the 10 most recession-proof counties
http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...prices-th.html

"There has much doom and gloom about the property market recently with the Halifax and Nationwide reporting falling prices. But these figures mask widespread regional variations. Here Times Money reveals the 10 places where the property market is still going from strength to strength. (And the five places where prices have fallen most… )"

1: Oxfordshire up 12.3 per cent
2: Hertfordshire up 11.7 per cent
3: Isle of Wight up 9.7 per cent
4: Berkshire up 9.5 per cent
5: Buckinghamshire up 8.4 per cent
6: Kent up 6.7 per cent
7: Hampshire up 6.5 per cent
8: West Sussex up 5.5 per cent
9: Surrey up 4.5 per cent
10: Wiltshire up 4.3 per cent

But here are the nation's worst performers...
1. Merseyside – down 2.4 per cent
2. West Midlands – down 2 per cent
3. Cambridgeshire – down 2 per cent
4. South Yorkshire – down 1.9 per cent
5. County Durham – down 1.3 per cent.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Selling your house and then finding your visa is delayed or refused is often worse.
I can vouch for that!! The delay anyway, please Dear God not a refusal

The only plus on having sold our house is that we wanted to sell anyway as we hate the area we're in (way too many troublemakers) so we would have been selling regardless. It has however left us in a bit of a pickle at the moment as we hoped to be able to move to Aus mid July when we exchanged last December - we're now 7 weeks off completion and we applied at the end of November for the visa - say no more as to where the visa is(n't) at the moment

As a result, we are now trying to find a lease that we can take on for 3 months with another rolling 3 months in case of more delays. The bigger problem is stepsons schooling - he is due to start secondary school in September (hence the timing) and we really don't want him to start secoondary school here.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:16 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

We have been in beautiful Queensland just a week and a half.
Its been a little busy to say the least...we booked a 3 week rental in Runaway Bay which is ok but just ok.
We had sold our house in the UK for 50k less than it was valued at last June bit then again the market has altered so much since then.It fell through a month before we flew out!
We then got a rental option which fell through as their boss decided not to relocate then after all!
We decided to forget the rental option then as it was a week before we flew and just too much to do so we went all out to sell it.
The EA advertised it as "guide price of...." just to get viewers in which worked.We soon had 3 offers almost bidding against each other! We accepted an offer 3 days ago and yes it is another 5k less than the previous offer but we figure thats just the way the market is at the minute.
We have just signed up on a 4 bed rental for 8 months in Helensvale.We liked the look of the suburb and my son has a place at the local primary.He has been going all this week and loves it.
I guess in hindsight i can say things happen for a reason but i know its not that easy when you are in that position in the UK.
Just wait til you all get out here and it will be worth it i guarantee it!
Good luck to all.
Janice.