Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when is migration official?

when is migration official?

Old May 13th 2003, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

pixie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when is migration official?

My husband and I are planning to arrive in OZ in July this year., we both have PR visas. The sale of our house in the Uk will hopefully be completed by then, but we are not sure where to leave the money. For e.g if we do decide only to validate at this time would we later be taxed on our income if we decided to move to OZ and remain at a later stage?

We are undecided whether to fully commit to Oz this summer or validate our visas and spend some time travelling over a few months, before deciding if OZ is the place to live permanently.

We are thinking against putting all our eggs in one basket and commiting our funds to a house etc in OZ at the moment. But we are unclear on the legal logistics, such as

1) when do you become 'not ordinarily resident' in the UK, if you are planning to be away for a few months can you formalise your status once you have make firm plans?

2) at which point to you register as 'resident' for tax purposes in OZ if you have no intention of working for the time you are living there i.e if this is for a matter of months.

We have been reading other posts and searching for info on the web but we are finding it difficult to get our heads around. Any advice or information will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Pixie
Old May 13th 2003, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested in the answers to this one.
Old May 13th 2003, 6:05 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: when is migration official?

Originally posted by pixie
My husband and I are planning to arrive in OZ in July this year., we both have PR visas. The sale of our house in the Uk will hopefully be completed by then, but we are not sure where to leave the money. For e.g if we do decide only to validate at this time would we later be taxed on our income if we decided to move to OZ and remain at a later stage?

We are undecided whether to fully commit to Oz this summer or validate our visas and spend some time travelling over a few months, before deciding if OZ is the place to live permanently.

We are thinking against putting all our eggs in one basket and commiting our funds to a house etc in OZ at the moment. But we are unclear on the legal logistics, such as

1) when do you become 'not ordinarily resident' in the UK, if you are planning to be away for a few months can you formalise your status once you have make firm plans?

2) at which point to you register as 'resident' for tax purposes in OZ if you have no intention of working for the time you are living there i.e if this is for a matter of months.

We have been reading other posts and searching for info on the web but we are finding it difficult to get our heads around. Any advice or information will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Pixie
You will be tax resident in Aus when you start working there or after 184 days of residence, I believe. If you were only there (say) 3 months, you would not be tax resident if you were not employed. You could become non resident in UK the day you leave for Aus provided your intention is to live & work outside the UK for an appropriate time and you do effectively do that - the actual rules are in the UK tax return guide.

Anyway that's my take, I'm not an Aus tax expert. But validating PR does definitely not immediatelky also make you tax resident. Better get some feedback from an expert like Alan Collet.

Cheers - Don