Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when insects attack...

when insects attack...

Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default when insects attack...

I thought Id post this experience for those newbies to Aus like me.

Last night sitting on the terrace, felt a sharp pain in my foot and then about 5 minutes later covered in a burning rash constantly itching. nothing cleared it , cold shower , ice packs, etc

Phoned the doctors - they said ring A&E dept, rang the hospital and got told to come straight in .

Got there - and withing 5 minutes was flat out on a bed in the A&E rooms with an IV line , herat monitor, blood pressure monitor wired up like a christmass tree. They gave me some drugs which were pretty cool stopped the itching and heat within minutes and put me to sleep apart from having minor fits and waking up to find 2 nurses holding my body still whilst another one injectificated something in my leg to stop the fits.

It appears I went into allergic shock after being bitten by unknown aussie monster that injected enough crap into my foot that I had a big allergy response. And now Im on sick leave with some tablets that make me feel like Ive just been to a party with Keith Richards. The missus thinks that it was an ant bite, but surely not , as a bloke I must insist it was something closer to a brown snake , if not a family of brown snakes all munching on my toes.

So - the moral of the story is
- If after being bitten by something you start to come out itching like buggery at all extremities or near gland areasthen ring a hospital and dont just put it down to being a baby.

Oh and next time you sit down with your picnic and there are ants around - MOVE - they are b*start painful.

Ive never had anything like this before it was quite a shock, I was an IV virgin up until last night ;-)
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all
Default Re: when insects attack...

Originally Posted by spalen

Last night sitting on the terrace, felt a sharp pain in my foot and then about 5 minutes later covered in a burning rash constantly itching. nothing cleared it , cold shower , ice packs, etc

Phoned the doctors - they said ring A&E dept, rang the hospital and got told to come straight in .

Got there - and withing 5 minutes was flat out on a bed in the A&E rooms with an IV line , herat monitor, blood pressure monitor wired up like a christmass tree. They gave me some drugs which were pretty cool stopped the itching and heat within minutes and put me to sleep apart from having minor fits and waking up to find 2 nurses holding my body still whilst another one injectificated something in my leg to stop the fits.

It appears I went into allergic shock after being bitten by unknown aussie monster that injected enough crap into my foot that I had a big allergy response. And now Im on sick leave with some tablets that make me feel like Ive just been to a party with Keith Richards. The missus thinks that it was an ant bite, but surely not , as a bloke I must insist it was something closer to a brown snake , if not a family of brown snakes all munching on my toes.

- If after being bitten by something you start to come out itching like buggery at all extremities or near gland areasthen ring a hospital and dont just put it down to being a baby.

Oh and next time you sit down with your picnic and there are ants around - MOVE - they are b*start painful.

Ive never had anything like this before it was quite a shock, I was an IV virgin up until last night ;-)
I think the saying put your feet up and get well soon is very apt

The things you will do to try to get out of helping around the house

Seriously I hope you recover soon and above all find out the cause so that you can prevent it in the future

All the best
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:24 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was standing on the grass in Australia Fair, QLD, i was bitten by a Bull Ant.

Withing seconds, my leg had gone numb up to my knee, it was burning, itching and I could barely put my leg down.

I hobbled to the dentist as I was due a check up, and they had a look and said it was a Bull Ant as we did see some huge ants.

My husband thought i was making it up and didnt believe me and it was only when he saw my leg later on that he did.

It was the most painful insect bite ever and I wouldnt like to be bitten by one of those again and if I was, would dread a worse reaction.

Dont underestimate Bull Ants or anything like them.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a green ant that most children get to identify fairly quickly.

Lucky you werent sitting on grass then and it didnt go for higher than your foot! :scared:

WW
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:43 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

LOL - I know I shouldn't be smiling at your misfortune, but it did make me laugh. Hope you're better soon.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:46 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire edwards
LOL - I know I shouldn't be smiling at your misfortune, but it did make me laugh. Hope you're better soon.
haha, my boss wants the movie rights
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: you must have been so bloody scared really glad your ok and feeling better.

Sue x
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:54 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Lucky you werent sitting on grass then and it didnt go for higher than your foot! :scared:

WW
Keep the swelling but can you do anything about the pain
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:06 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes and glad your on the mend.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:42 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

OMG does this mean you have Carol waiting on you hand and, dare I say it FOOT.....

Thanks for telling us though cos the kids do often sit on grass and wouldnt like to have to take little Georgia the hospital and have all that done to her shes only nearly 2. :scared:

Get well and make sure Carol looks after you

Ang
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Ian,
Never coming east now. Only seen very small ants in perth, mjust be something you are feeding them in the east, or its your smelly feet.

Hope you Carol and kids are doing well.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:43 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Ian,
Never coming east now. Only seen very small ants in perth, mjust be something you are feeding them in the east, or its your smelly feet.

Hope you Carol and kids are doing well.
haha thanks chris, everyone here is fine.

The worst ants are the tiny ones (Green ants) apparently (rapidly becoming an ant expert)
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Oakie will become famous soon enoughOakie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I hobbled to the dentist as I was due a check up, and they had a look and said it was a Bull Ant as we did see some huge ants.
That dentist sounds a bit dodgy to me - did he miss the bit of training where they tell you that teeth are in you mouth?

And there was me thinking spiders, snakes and blue tongues were the only things to worry about!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:24 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
OMG does this mean you have Carol waiting on you hand and, dare I say it FOOT.....

Thanks for telling us though cos the kids do often sit on grass and wouldnt like to have to take little Georgia the hospital and have all that done to her shes only nearly 2. :scared:

Get well and make sure Carol looks after you

Ang
Hmmmm Mrs spalen doesnt do ' looking after ' , like leppers of old I am banished to a far corner of the house , due to being like a bare with sore head.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:04 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm Mrs spalen doesnt do ' looking after ' , like leppers of old I am banished to a far corner of the house , due to being like a bare with sore head.

Ahh bloody hell, and there was me getting all macho about these insects here. I laugh in the face of paper wasp stings, I nonchalantly get the wife to brush away spiders with a newspaper.(and tell me when its safe to come in again)

Now I've got to worry about ****** ANTS!!!

That sounds like a bit of a nightmare you had. Its good to hear you are recovering. A few beers in the evening to relieve the symptoms can help... and a couple of glasses of wine tohelp you sleep. When you find out exactly what it was that bit you (green ant or whatever) let me know. And I'll go buy enough poison to kill a years worth of them

Hope your feelin a bit better,
Cheers,
ADL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.