Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When having a house built

When having a house built

Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default When having a house built

Right, when you're deciding upon which house you want and discussing your
requirements with your builder, is it the done thing to barter for a better deal?
Obviously if you're looking at a house which has already been constructed, you make an offer, usually less than the asking price. Do you do the same if you're having a house built or do you just go along with what the builder tells you it will cost?

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of
Default Re: When having a house built

I guess that as it is the construction industry, always haggle!

TD
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

In building you do get what you pay for though.

I had a few builder clients and they were not in the running when it came to quoting but I know who I would want to build my house.

The big builders will throw in extras I think rather than reduce money.

The big thing about building is the building contract and its prudent to get this looked over by a solicitor, it might cost you, but it might also save you in the end. Things to look at are time limits if there is no time limit you might be last in the queue and take months.

However at the moment with building downturn you should be able to make some headway.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:43 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by Petals
In building you do get what you pay for though.

I had a few builder clients and they were not in the running when it came to quoting but I know who I would want to build my house.

The big builders will throw in extras I think rather than reduce money.

The big thing about building is the building contract and its prudent to get this looked over by a solicitor, it might cost you, but it might also save you in the end. Things to look at are time limits if there is no time limit you might be last in the queue and take months.

However at the moment with building downturn you should be able to make some headway.
Agree with the above. Absolutely you can and now several people building who have done just that!

I would decide on basic off the plan design you want, make sure you take control of the discussion and get them to cost in any changes you definitely want and have a list of items on your wish list and then try to get some things included for free. In my experience it is things like tiling upgrade, stone worktops, tap upgrade and cosmetic things they add in. Get prices for everthing beforehand though as in my experience they just apportion the cost of the free items over those you are paying for!

Also see if you can talk to other customers at the same stage as you, I did this and found out I was being overcharged for some items compared to others and as a result got these included for free (eg.changing windows to sliding doors).

It may be worth getting ideas for some items which maybe included such as aircon. They often over value it and we removed our aircon from our contract ($7,800 price reduction) and had the same make fitted but with a bigger evap unit with more outlets for $4,800 after key handover.
Same for the alarm and carpets, blinds etc if they offer to include them.

As the OP said, with the building downturn you have more likelihood of getting a better deal now. Just ask nicely, nothing ventured, nothing gained and our builder took no offence.
They just got back at us with a shoddy build of the entire house so we wouldn't go with them again!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FiP
Agree with the above. Absolutely you can and now several people building who have done just that!

I would decide on basic off the plan design you want, make sure you take control of the discussion and get them to cost in any changes you definitely want and have a list of items on your wish list and then try to get some things included for free. In my experience it is things like tiling upgrade, stone worktops, tap upgrade and cosmetic things they add in. Get prices for everthing beforehand though as in my experience they just apportion the cost of the free items over those you are paying for!

Also see if you can talk to other customers at the same stage as you, I did this and found out I was being overcharged for some items compared to others and as a result got these included for free (eg.changing windows to sliding doors).

It may be worth getting ideas for some items which maybe included such as aircon. They often over value it and we removed our aircon from our contract ($7,800 price reduction) and had the same make fitted but with a bigger evap unit with more outlets for $4,800 after key handover.
Same for the alarm and carpets, blinds etc if they offer to include them.

As the OP said, with the building downturn you have more likelihood of getting a better deal now. Just ask nicely, nothing ventured, nothing gained and our builder took no offence.
They just got back at us with a shoddy build of the entire house so we wouldn't go with them again!!!!
If you don't mind me asking, who did you go with?
We're considering National Homes, but haven't heard anything good or bad about them.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:54 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
If you don't mind me asking, who did you go with?
We're considering National Homes, but haven't heard anything good or bad about them.
Will PM you with builder info
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiP
Thanks for that

Does anybody know where you can find independant info/reviews on the different building companies?

Steve
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:33 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know where you can find independant info/reviews on the different building companies?

Steve
try this site.
http://forum.homeone.com.au/index.php
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:21 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Get enough power points...! Builders never seem to allow enough...

If you decide to arrange some extras yourself, make sure your builder will allow trades directly engaged by you onto site during construction... some don't, and for something like aircon this can be a real problem if you want hidden bulkheads, etc... Check out their cost plus percentage too...
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:46 am
FiP
Forum Regular

Thanks for that

Steve
Steve
Have PM'd you with this link http://www.productreview.com.au/cate...hp?cat_id=1943
Fiona
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for the info. guys

Steve
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho

If you decide to arrange some extras yourself, make sure your builder will allow trades directly engaged by you onto site during construction... some don't, and for something like aircon this can be a real problem if you want hidden bulkheads, etc... Check out their cost plus percentage too...
Agree with the powerpoints, they usually put in single ones, insist on doubles triple or quad,they will charge to change from singles the wiring is the same its disgusting they only put in singles in the first place :curse:
John
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho

We ended up with nearly $1600 in powerpoints in our new house build. The builders include 1 single per room...utter crap! How the hell are you supposed to plug in just 1 thing per room?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Cos all "builders" love to throw a curve ball with all the cash extras
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Originally Posted by FiP
Could you also let me know ? I always rely heavily on recommendations (or not in this case). Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.