Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to hand notice in?

When to hand notice in?

Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:01 am
DWT
Just Joined

DWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant future
Default Re: When to hand notice in?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My question really is -

If I give them more notice than I legally have to (8 weeks instead of 4) can they make me leave after 4, thereby doing me out of 4 weeks pay?

Buzzy
I would have thought yes, your contract is a legal agreement so they only have to give you the 4 weeks. But it might depend on how flexible your company and your manager is, they may welcome the extra time to find a suitable replacement especially if you can help in the recruitment process. But then I also know of other companies that put people on Gardening Leave as soon as they hand in their notice, only you can really judge their potential response.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: When to hand notice in?

Originally Posted by DWT
I would have thought yes, your contract is a legal agreement so they only have to give you the 4 weeks. But it might depend on how flexible your company and your manager is, they may welcome the extra time to find a suitable replacement especially if you can help in the recruitment process. But then I also know of other companies that put people on Gardening Leave as soon as they hand in their notice, only you can really judge their potential response.
Hah! Don't care about gardening leave - would welcome the opportunity to get some stuff done.

I should have said - could they stop paying me after the 4 weeks?

Buzzy
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:08 am
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tallbloke67
I have had telephone interviews thus far with one company. It seems very promising and the recruit agent is getting positive feedback from the company. No tickets as yet as we exchange end of Jan with house so until then we are in 'limbo'. There is a sense of Deja Vu here again as we were in limbo with not putting the house on the market and not having the visa. Oh well all that has now been resolved. Still only two weeks until I hand my notice in.

Thanks for your advice all.

Martin
Martin

What's your profession? I'm in IT and am heading to Perth roughly the same time as you and I was wondering how you managed to get a job interview so far ahead of travelling. I've been looking at seek.com.au but (reading between the lines) all the jobs on there seem to want people already in the country.

Did you just contact an agency directly?

CMR
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:09 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Hello All

I am struggling to decide when to hand my notice in. I would like to leave my job mid Feb as we are to be in Perth not long after, but I hate my job and yearn for the day to be in Oz. If I hand my notice in tomorrow, Friday, it will lift a great deal of pressure off of my shoulders.

I am required to give four weeks notice but I would prefer to give six as this gives them time to find a replacement. I have had one interview and am having the second in the new year.

Martin
Hi Martin,
I was going to give 6 weeks notice until i realised i was to work New Years Day.I gave my company 4 weeks and i finish up next Friday morning.
I love my job and appart from Emigrating,i'd never have left it.You will feel a great deal of relief when you hand in your notice as even i did,and you'll enjoy your last few weeks that bit more.

We are not flying out until 4 weeks later but i will be busy with shippers,moving/selling furniture,leaving party and seeing friends and relatives.
Never mind work,just make sure you have enough time for yourself to do everything required before you go without cramming it all in and getting stressed.

Good luck with the move

Brido
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:13 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All

I am struggling to decide when to hand my notice in. I would like to leave my job mid Feb as we are to be in Perth not long after, but I hate my job and yearn for the day to be in Oz. If I hand my notice in tomorrow, Friday, it will lift a great deal of pressure off of my shoulders.
If you can afford financially to stop working a bit earlier, then hand in your notice tomorrow - and then enjoy the extra time off .

Gina
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:19 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I have been deliberating this point for some time, I haven't sold my house yet but hope it will sell quickly in early 2007, I am a production manager so am needed, I like to think so anyway... I am going to informally give my boss as much notice as possible so they can train someone else and also so it doesn't impact my boss too much, apart from financially .. This will allow someone else to transition into my job with minimal impact and hope it is seen favourably when I ask for a reference I suppose it depends on your relationship with your boss !
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:07 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

My question really is -

If I give them more notice than I legally have to (8 weeks instead of 4) can they make me leave after 4, thereby doing me out of 4 weeks pay?

Buzzy
Technically, I would have to say yes they can. Theyc an simply say to you: Thanks for the extra notice but it's not necessary, so we'll take as 4 weeks from today
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:12 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Hah!
I should have said - could they stop paying me after the 4 weeks?

Buzzy
The answer is yes, if they tell you when you hand in your notice that 4 weeks is just fine and ty for offering the extended notice. Unlikely a bonus would be taken back I would have thought as long as you have complied with the terms of your contract.