British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   When to hand notice in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/when-hand-notice-414758/)

tallbloke67 Dec 21st 2006 6:44 am

When to hand notice in?

Hello All

I am struggling to decide when to hand my notice in. I would like to leave my job mid Feb as we are to be in Perth not long after, but I hate my job and yearn for the day to be in Oz. If I hand my notice in tomorrow, Friday, it will lift a great deal of pressure off of my shoulders.

I am required to give four weeks notice but I would prefer to give six as this gives them time to find a replacement. I have had one interview and am having the second in the new year.

Martin

kiwi_child Dec 21st 2006 7:00 am

Re: When to hand notice in?

Originally Posted by tallbloke67
Hello All

I am struggling to decide when to hand my notice in. I would like to leave my job mid Feb as we are to be in Perth not long after, but I hate my job and yearn for the day to be in Oz. If I hand my notice in tomorrow, Friday, it will lift a great deal of pressure off of my shoulders.

I am required to give four weeks notice but I would prefer to give six as this gives them time to find a replacement. I have had one interview and am having the second in the new year.

Martin

Hmmm...you are right on the xmas/ny holiday period so they won't gain advantage as u think from 6wks notice. Also they could say thanks and decide you will leave in 4 weeks not 6.

I would give them 4 weeks notice in mid jan and if queried about it explain you wanted to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed before you gave your notice.

If tho you're not fussed whether you finish up end of jan or mid feb, then no problem giving them notice now.

How long have you been in this job? What real advantage to you is there in giving more notice? You still won't be leaving till mid feb either way. Have you booked/paid for your tickets to oz yet? Is everything confirmed?

CathnPaul Dec 21st 2006 7:04 am

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Hmmm...you are right on the xmas/ny holiday period so they won't gain advantage as u think from 6wks notice. Also they could say thanks and decide you will leave in 4 weeks not 6.

I would give them 4 weeks notice in mid jan and if queried about it explain you wanted to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed before you gave your notice.

If tho you're not fussed whether you finish up end of jan or mid feb, then no problem giving them notice now.

How long have you been in this job? What real advantage to you is there in giving more notice? You still won't be leaving till mid feb either way. Have you booked/paid for your tickets to oz yet? Is everything confirmed?

I agree with kiwi - but what are the interviews you are talking about??? are you not actually going to oz yet??

tallbloke67 Dec 21st 2006 7:10 am

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
I agree with kiwi - but what are the interviews you are talking about??? are you not actually going to oz yet??

I have had telephone interviews thus far with one company. It seems very promising and the recruit agent is getting positive feedback from the company. No tickets as yet as we exchange end of Jan with house so until then we are in 'limbo'. There is a sense of Deja Vu here again as we were in limbo with not putting the house on the market and not having the visa. Oh well all that has now been resolved. Still only two weeks until I hand my notice in.

Thanks for your advice all.

Martin

CathnPaul Dec 21st 2006 7:29 am

I have had telephone interviews thus far with one company. It seems very promising and the recruit agent is getting positive feedback from the company. No tickets as yet as we exchange end of Jan with house so until then we are in 'limbo'. There is a sense of Deja Vu here again as we were in limbo with not putting the house on the market and not having the visa. Oh well all that has now been resolved. Still only two weeks until I hand my notice in.

Thanks for your advice all.

Martin

Martin - sorry i am being a bit dense here - is the recruitment agency in the uk or oz?? I can appreciate you completing on the house and finishing work - are you finishing work to go immediately to oz (hopefully) and thats the interview your talking about??

tallbloke67 Dec 21st 2006 7:37 am

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Martin - sorry i am being a bit dense here - is the recruitment agency in the uk or oz?? I can appreciate you completing on the house and finishing work - are you finishing work to go immediately to oz (hopefully) and thats the interview your talking about??

Hello Cath n Paul

The agency is in Oz. We are fininshing work and coming straight over, if the fog ever lifts! Yes the interview is for the job in Perth.

CathnPaul Dec 21st 2006 7:40 am

Hello Cath n Paul

The agency is in Oz. We are fininshing work and coming straight over, if the fog ever lifts! Yes the interview is for the job in Perth.

lol....now I can answer properly.lol.... I would get the notice handed in giving the 6 weeks notice - it will be a feather in your cap even though they will lose 2 weeks over xmas anyway - but how would that be for a new start to 2007.

Good on ya and good luck with your oz interview x

sme Dec 21st 2006 7:48 am

Off Thread but Tallman67 are you 40 next year ?:)

tallbloke67 Dec 21st 2006 8:00 am

Originally Posted by sme
Off Thread but Tallman67 are you 40 next year ?:)

Oh yes I am. Is that good or bad I ask myself or is it just a number?

sme Dec 21st 2006 8:02 am

Oh yes I am. Is that good or bad I ask myself or is it just a number?

Being 40 next year myself - I would have to say its just a number;) :D

Buzzy--Bee Dec 21st 2006 8:12 am

I'm debating how much notice to give myself.

I don't want to hand in my notice before March 28th as that day I get my annual bonus in my pay packet. But I'm not intending to leave until May 31st and I'm on 4 weeks notice.

If I hand in my notice March 29th can they make me leave 4 weeks later? I'd be surprised if they did anyway as we're short staffed but you can never be too careful...

:beer:

Buzzy

tallbloke67 Dec 21st 2006 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I'm debating how much notice to give myself.

I don't want to hand in my notice before March 28th as that day I get my annual bonus in my pay packet. But I'm not intending to leave until May 31st and I'm on 4 weeks notice.

If I hand in my notice March 29th can they make me leave 4 weeks later? I'd be surprised if they did anyway as we're short staffed but you can never be too careful...

Buzzy

Buzzy-Bee

Surely you are still working for your company up to and including the day you leave right. They cannot withdraw a bonus from your salary. If you get the bonus the day you hand your notice in then wait until one hour prior to close of business then hand it in. It will be good to see the expression their faces.

LOL big time!!!!

Buzzy--Bee Dec 21st 2006 8:29 am

Buzzy-Bee

Surely you are still working for your company up to and including the day you leave right. They cannot withdraw a bonus from your salary. If you get the bonus the day you hand your notice in then wait until one hour prior to close of business then hand it in. It will be good to see the expression their faces.

LOL big time!!!!

The bonus is considered an ex-gratia payment and as such can be withdrawn at any time. So best to be sure, hey....

Buzzy

DWT Dec 21st 2006 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The bonus is considered an ex-gratia payment and as such can be withdrawn at any time. So best to be sure, hey....

Buzzy

I handed my notice in last Friday on the day my annual bonus was paid. I had planned to hand it in a week earlier, but then read my employee handbook - watch out for small print! As Buzzy says bonus is considered discretionary and in my company as soon as you notify them that you are leaving you are no longer entitled to it, even if you happen to be working your notice period when it is paid.

Problem in my case was that I have to give 5 weeks notice and had worked out my flight date to Melbourne based on the original date I planned to hand notice, now I have to take unpaid leave at the end of my notice period so I can make the flight.

Still, at least I got the bonus :)

Buzzy--Bee Dec 21st 2006 8:54 am

My question really is -

If I give them more notice than I legally have to (8 weeks instead of 4) can they make me leave after 4, thereby doing me out of 4 weeks pay?

Buzzy