Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When do you tell?

When do you tell?

Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant future
Default When do you tell?

Erm, when's the best time to tell the rellies that you're going, do you think? You know, the ones who say they only live for the grandchildren and couldn't survive without them. We're due to be out in WA by April and no-one has an inkling yet. Do we spoil their Christmas by telling them now, or leave it until January with just a couple of months to go? Help!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:30 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you tell?

Originally Posted by Mrs Old
Erm, when's the best time to tell the rellies that you're going, do you think? You know, the ones who say they only live for the grandchildren and couldn't survive without them. We're due to be out in WA by April and no-one has an inkling yet. Do we spoil their Christmas by telling them now, or leave it until January with just a couple of months to go? Help!
Wait until you've had your Christmas dinner made for you and the presents are opened and stored away in the car

Seriously, the sooner the better cos it will only get more difficult the longer you put it off. And if anyone gets upset initially, they have time to calm down, think about it, and realise you're doing what you think is best for you and your family. And if they can't see that.....you need to start another thread, I'm afraid
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Hi Mrs Old,

All I can say is GOOD LUCK !!!

Only you know when will be the right time. If it were me, I would tell them now. You never know, you may get a different answer to whatyour expecting

Donna.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant futureMrs Old has a brilliant future

Thanks guys. I know you're both right and I really should just bite the bullet and get it over with.

My OH seems to be hoping to get out there first, then let them know! If he could stick his head any further into the sand he'll pop up on an australian beach!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

ketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really nice

Just think about two options:
a) Tell your parents the truth right now, then you will hear, you have spoiled X-mas, because they will let you know the whole time: it is our las christmas with our grandchilds, because of your crazy plans, just to let you know
b) tell your parents the truth in 2009 and you will hear: if we had known this by christmas, we would had done everything to prepare an unbelievable nice christmas, so the chance is gone and we can´t forgive.

Anyway, you will make the wrong decision definetly
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ketty
Just think about two options:
a) Tell your parents the truth right now, then you will hear, you have spoiled X-mas, because they will let you know the whole time: it is our las christmas with our grandchilds, because of your crazy plans, just to let you know
b) tell your parents the truth in 2009 and you will hear: if we had known this by christmas, we would had done everything to prepare an unbelievable nice christmas, so the chance is gone and we can´t forgive.

Anyway, you will make the wrong decision definetly
You so know where I'm coming from.
You've got it exactly, except we also run the risk of setting off an angina attack, which concerns me quite a bit.
Hey ho.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Depends how quick you want your inheritance!!! Tell them between X-Mas and New Year. BoL
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

My parents have always been pretty cool about stuff so just told them outright.
To say it's been an absolute nightmare ever since is a complete understatement. My advice is to expect the unexpected. No matter how well you know people, emotions have a strange habit of throwing up the unexpected. You might find that they surprise you, but you will probably hurt them more if they feel that they have not been included in some of the discussions and preparations before you finally leave. My advice is talk to them sooner and just work with whatever happens.

MANDS
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:07 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I told my parents when we were thinking about applying so they knew from the very start, i'm glad to say i have the best parents in the world and they have been brilliant all the way through the process. Even the morning we left for the airport my Dad told me off for crying when i was leaving them and said go find a better life in Australia
I am sorry for the families that have the complete opposite it must be a nightmare, but i do agree with what ever time you tell them before christmas or after it won't suit someone.
So the best of luck with which ever you decide.

Kerry
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

i didnt tell my family until a couple of months before we left and it was one huge mistake! I wish, with hindsight i had told them soon as i started the process as it caused so much grief in the final months. I should have realised that no time was gonna be a good time and maybe if i had given them more time to get used to the idea the last few months wouldnt have been filled with so much anger and upset on their part God knows i ranted enough on here about it On the positive side all came good and they now agree it is the best thing i have ever done for me and the kids so bite the bullet, be brave and bite your tongue when the emotional blackmail starts
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

ketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really nice

You so know where I'm coming from.
You've got it exactly, except we also run the risk of setting off an angina attack, which concerns me quite a bit.
Hey ho.
BEcause you will do the wrong decision anyway (I know where you are coming from) please tell me which descision you made and how christmas was.
So if you will face an angina attack tell them now, now they are app. 3 month younger and an angina attack will not be so heavy
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ketty
So if you will face an angina attack tell them now, now they are app. 3 month younger and an angina attack will not be so heavy

Ok, Ok, I'll tell them before Christmas. Have got a fitness test for the job next week, so will do it after that as it's the last hurdle for the job offer. Didn't want to tell them sooner as we'd been through the whole process before and had told EVERYONE we were going right from the start, then didn't get through. Doh!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Hi

I told my parents when we were thinking about applying so they knew from the very start, i'm glad to say i have the best parents in the world and they have been brilliant all the way through the process. Even the morning we left for the airport my Dad told me off for crying when i was leaving them and said go find a better life in Australia
I am sorry for the families that have the complete opposite it must be a nightmare, but i do agree with what ever time you tell them before christmas or after it won't suit someone.
So the best of luck with which ever you decide.

Kerry
We asked ours from the start too. I wanted to check no-one was secretly seriously ill (my mum hadn't told me about her hysterectomy years before till after it was over) and was amazed by how OK they were about the idea of us emigrating. Even now my mum says it was a great thing for us to do though she'd still rather we went there for hols than they had to do the plane journey.

In your position I guess I'd still tell them asap but I know it's going to be scary for you.

All the best.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

brisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nice

hi,
I found it very hard to tell my family about our plans, and when I did, they were in denial and thought it would never happen.When we lodged our application it began to seem real to them and so they had a year to get used the idea
I would probably tell them now rather than later
good luck with what you decide to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.