Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When can the Kids start school?

When can the Kids start school?

Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of
Default When can the Kids start school?

Hi now we've got our visa (yipeeeeeeee) we're heading out to validate in october, me & the kids are thinking of staying on while mandy comes home to sell the house. Sophie has just completed her GCSE'S, do we have to wait until the new school year for them to start school or could they start in october?
Thanks in advance
Tim
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default Re: When can the Kids start school?

Our daughter started primary school after the April hols, so joined in term 2 of the school year. I assumed it'd be okay and there was no suggestion from the school that there would be a problem.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Your child can begin school at any time during the year, mid term, mid week, no problems.

Just nip into the local State school and she could even start that day. Ours did when we moved here.

Private schools may be different as they often have waiting lists.

Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

You can rock up and start the same day as long as you can show the PR sticker in your passports. If your daughter has done her GCSEs I'm guessing she's done years 11 and 12 here so personally I would start her in the last term of Y10 in October to give her a chance to settle in, get used to the new system and make friends without any pressure of work (it will also help to have some mates over the long Summer holiday in Dec/Jan) then she will be starting the whole HSC thing at the start of the new school year in Jan with everyone else. She should also then be early enough to get to choose the electives she wants for her HSC - if she doesn't start until the new school year she might find it hard to get into the classes she wants as the more popular choices will be full.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, that should of course read "she'll be doing Y11/12 here" - one father's day glass of champagne too many I think
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
You can rock up and start the same day as long as you can show the PR sticker in your passports. If your daughter has done her GCSEs I'm guessing she's done years 11 and 12 here so personally I would start her in the last term of Y10 in October to give her a chance to settle in, get used to the new system and make friends without any pressure of work (it will also help to have some mates over the long Summer holiday in Dec/Jan) then she will be starting the whole HSC thing at the start of the new school year in Jan with everyone else. She should also then be early enough to get to choose the electives she wants for her HSC - if she doesn't start until the new school year she might find it hard to get into the classes she wants as the more popular choices will be full.
Thanks for that, she should be starting 6th form this next week but we've decided it may not be such a good idea! more friends to say good bye to!!!
Cheers