Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to book flights

When to book flights

Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:42 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice
Default When to book flights

Hi

Sorry to start a new thread about flights

We got our Visa yesterday and have started to look at the flights, we dont want to go until Feb/March next year so my question is.....do I pick a date and book now and risk needing to change it..or do I wait and have the risk of the prices going up??

Thanks in advance
Laura XX
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:54 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to book flights

The best fares are normally to be had in advance. So booking now you will get a decent discounted price. The closer you get, the more expensive fares become as the discounted seats will sell. There are no last minute bargains to be had on long haul sector travel on the Australia route normally.

All fares are not created equal however and many deeply discounted ones will be non transferable and non refundable. You might consider avoiding those since they wont allow a date change. Make sure that your ticket is changeable and albeit you will normally be hit up for a small admin fee, at least that will give you the peace of mind if that's whats worrying you.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Book now, but make sure its a flexi fare (that allows changes for free or a low fee, normally approx £50 depending on airline).

My thoughts on this are;

1. Flights rarely go down in price (unless a seat sale is announced - but this is very very rare on Oz flights as they are very popular)

2. The cost of oil is only going to rise so we can expect higher fares in future (see BA's announcement during the weekend)

3. It gives u a target date so that u have a goal to work towards when tying up all those loose ends.

Just my opinion.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:09 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I think that I am going to shop around this week and then get them booked at the weekend!!
Like you say, gives me a date to work to and also its one thing off my very long list of things to do!!
Found a flight with Singapore out of Heathrow for £2300 for all of us, on the new airbus so might go for that!!

Thanks a lot
Laura
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Laura and Tom
Found a flight with Singapore out of Heathrow for £2300 for all of us, on the new airbus so might go for that!!

Thanks a lot
Laura
Yip Im lookin to fly it in Sept, should be an experience in itself I reckon. Tho I'm sure after 6 hours twill be the same as any other glorified bus in the sky.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:03 pm
East Mids to Vic

Just booked thro Singapore Direct, went through Quidco, dont know if people have heard of it, its a cashback site. Got 1% of the ticket value back it all helps hey!!

7 months and counting!!

Laura XX
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Just booked thro Singapore Direct, went through Quidco, dont know if people have heard of it, its a cashback site. Got 1% of the ticket value back it all helps hey!!

7 months and counting!!

Laura XX
Just like to know did you pay by credit card, if you did was you charged 3% on top for using the credit card
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
The best fares are normally to be had in advance. So booking now you will get a decent discounted price. The closer you get, the more expensive fares become as the discounted seats will sell. There are no last minute bargains to be had on long haul sector travel on the Australia route normally.

All fares are not created equal however and many deeply discounted ones will be non transferable and non refundable. You might consider avoiding those since they wont allow a date change. Make sure that your ticket is changeable and albeit you will normally be hit up for a small admin fee, at least that will give you the peace of mind if that's whats worrying you.
I agree with Centurion - I would book sooner rather than later

Lau x
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

7 months and counting!!

Laura XX
I flew with Singapore airlines - if that is who you were using and they were fantastic

I am planning a visit to the UK in Oct so will check out Quidco (if they will let me book reverse tickets i.e. Aus - UK return)

Good luck with your new life.

Lau x
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:27 am
East Mids to Vic

Originally Posted by billymacker
Just like to know did you pay by credit card, if you did was you charged 3% on top for using the credit card

Not that I know, It did say on the Singapore site that some C/card companies do charge, will get OH to call his CC and check, will post back!

Laura
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Not that I know, It did say on the Singapore site that some C/card companies do charge, will get OH to call his CC and check, will post back!

Laura

I have noticed if you book direct with airline Emirates/Singapore no credit card charges,

If you book with travel agents they charge you 3%-5% extra

Its not the credit card companies that charge you it is travel agents that add it on

Last edited by billymacker; Aug 12th 2008 at 2:26 am.