Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when is the best time to sell your house?

when is the best time to sell your house?

Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default when is the best time to sell your house?

hi anyone,

just wondering when is the best time to put your house on the market

don't want to do anything drastic until i know from DIMIA!!!

do they actually send you any info to say visas are on their way, or what?

when they ask you to go for medicals and police clearance, if you know that everything is bog standard re. these, is it safe to put your house up for sale then??? anyone got any negative perspectives?

any info, much appreciated..

regards, honeybob!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:58 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when is the best time to sell your house?

Hi Honeybob

The estate agents told me the best time to sell is either spring or autumn.

DIMIA should inform you whether you have been succesful in your application. I got a phone call from Australia house regarding mine (Defacto spouse visa).

cheers

TT

Originally Posted by honeybob
hi anyone,

when they ask you to go for medicals and police clearance, if you know that everything is bog standard re. these, is it safe to put your house up for sale then??? anyone got any negative perspectives?

regards, honeybob!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

hi anyone,

regards, honeybob!
Hi honeybob

All the info you get from Migration Agents and DIMIA advise not to do anything that is irreversible until you have the visa.
That includes selling your house and leaving your job.
Actually we have put our house on the market and had 2 offers one which we are accepting. Not got our visas yet.
However we decided to sell and move anyway either to Australia or if we don't get the visa then in the UK. We can stay with our daughter while we wait for visa decision once the house is sold.
There's no exact time to put your house up for sale. Timing is everything and even the best laid plans tend not to work out as you would like.
We're hoping to get the Visa before Christmas, we have the medicals completed etc....but nothing is certain. If all goes well we should have completed on the house by November....again who knows.

Best of luck with any decision you make. However you don't want to be homeless
Old Aug 17th 2004, 8:04 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

hi anyone,

regards, honeybob!
Hi Honeybob

We put ours up as soon as we got requests for meds and pcc's. It was a gamble but we are all healthy so figured it a calculated risk. Our thoughts were if something happened we could always pull it off the market. Once meds and pcc's are requested it's a sure sign you'll get in barring a hidden criminal past or serious health problems.

Where bouts in Newcastle? We're from Gateshead.

Walla
Old Aug 17th 2004, 8:06 am
Just Joined

shell1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi anyone,

regards, honeybob!

hello..... i would say just go for it as soon as you have been requested to go for your medicals, house sales can be very difficult and things can go wrong so easily if your caught in a chain and people start pulling out!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 8:10 am
Just Joined

shell1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walla1
Hi Honeybob

We put ours up as soon as we got requests for meds and pcc's. It was a gamble but we are all healthy so figured it a calculated risk. Our thoughts were if something happened we could always pull it off the market. Once meds and pcc's are requested it's a sure sign you'll get in barring a hidden criminal past or serious health problems.

Where bouts in Newcastle? We're from Gateshead.

Walla

hi walla,
we did the same, as soon as our medicals were sent off and police clearences, we just had faith and put the house on the market we sold within a week to first time buyers and then found out that DIMIA had lost our medicals and we had to go and have them done again.......at our expense......still wiating for skilled visa......but house sale is proceeding we are having sleepless nights worrying as you can imagine
Old Aug 17th 2004, 9:00 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

hi anyone,

regards, honeybob!
Hi Honeybob,

We made the classic mistake of waiting until we had confirmation of our visa acceptance, and now we're stuck waiting for the bloody house to be sold!Which if we encounter problems like buyers pulling out etc, could delay us getting to Oz by months!!!!
My advice is that if you're all healthy and have no criminal records, put your house up for sale now, don't wait for your visa to be accepted. You can always delay the sale yourself whilst waiting to get confirmation of your visa.
Also I think this time of year is a good time to sell, so thats another reason to the house on the market.

Good luck!

Shel
Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

hi walla1,

we are going to do exactly what you have done, even if after police checks and medicals anything goes wrong, which i pray to god dosen't happen, i think i would move anyway, don't want to stay here!!!! want to be in oz...

as for where i live - slatyford, just down from westerhope!!!

i was in ding dong's the other day when you were online, so i know that you had just been to a barbie in westerhope and that you live in low fell... we fell about laughing, thinking that you were somewhere exotic, and there you were about 5 miles away or so!

used to live in low fell - dryden road! small small world isn't it mate...

god, i bet i know you or something...

cheers honeybob