Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's your favourite Oz slang?

What's your favourite Oz slang?

Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's your favourite Oz slang?

Here's a definition for root:

root vi. 1. To cheer for a sports team. Root is an offensive Australian slang verb meaning ``have sexual intercourse with''. Announcing to an Australian that you ``are a cheerleader, so you don't see many football games because you are in the stands rooting'' will give a misleading impression about your devotion to the team. 2. To grow roots. ``I rooted some plants'' is practised by vegiphiles in Australia. 3. To dig or rummage. ``I was rooting around in my room for the rent money'' is done only if an Australian does not actually have the rent money.
n. An Australian may take the noun to refer to his or her sexual partner. Even so, saying ``I tripped over a root'' will occasion only the tiniest frisson of delight in your Australian correspondent; he or she will understand.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Sydney the word I hear used most often is "LOOK". For example, the traffic reporter on the radio will at the end of his report say "LOOK" if your going to drink tonight dont drive, or somebody might when asked a question about the housing bubble bursting might say "LOOK" the prices of houses will always rise. The word "LOOK" is used in almost every phrase that you hear.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:41 am
Goodpubmisser

One Australian expression that I can never bring myself to use is "Fair dinkum mate". It just sounds so stupid.

I never actually hear this expression used in Sydney but I used to in Melbourne.

Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

well it beats the British....... ya knaw wat arh mean..........which is added to almost every sentance?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:56 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

'Ugly as a bucketful of arseholes' is a particular favourite of mine...Mr Bundy only really communicates through aussie slang, so I've got loads or 'em.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:13 pm
Badge

Fair Dinkum has to be said right or it will fall flat.

FAAAIR DINKUM often said as a question, in response to a some bull or unlikely story..

I hear it all the time, this was discussed ages ago and someone claimed they never heard it here.

My boss said once (about my new HR license):

"it is ridgy-didge?" (first time I had heard it)
quick as a flash I said
"oh, it's Fair dinkum mate". I was quite proud of myself.

:scared:

Old Mar 13th 2004, 2:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one I learned only the other day.

Cheap cask wine is known as "goon" so a wine and cheese party is sometimes called a "coon and goon"
Old Mar 13th 2004, 2:58 am
joem

Here's a couple of gems

Fair suck of the sav

and

Crack a fat

joem

Old Mar 13th 2004, 3:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Joem from your Avatar I thought it would be "I've got the shits"
Old Mar 13th 2004, 3:18 am
joem

Originally posted by bondipom
Joem from your Avatar I thought it would be "I've got the shits"

Rack off

joem

Old Mar 13th 2004, 3:22 am

Originally posted by joem
Rack off

joem
Ripper Norks mate.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 3:32 am
joem

Originally posted by bondipom
Ripper Norks mate.
It's London to a brick, you've Cracked a Fat

joem

Old Mar 13th 2004, 3:36 am

Originally posted by joem
It's London to a brick, you've Cracked a Fat

joem
Not in my budgie smugglers.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 3:41 am
joem

LOL,

I'm going to get a carton of piss, cos I'm as dry as a dead dingo's donger

joem

Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:34 am
Badge

I like the way everything is "shocking". I had a "shocker".

Its the way they say it.

I find alot of the laughs come from the way Australians say things. If an English person said it, it wouldn't be so effective.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.