Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats your best piece of advice?

Whats your best piece of advice?

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:24 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats your best piece of advice?

Go with the flow, things ARE different but go with it rather than getting p*ssed off and whingeing
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:27 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try not to think negative..think posotive and turn things round. Anyone whos' come this far has got guts...so don't give in easy.

Don't feel a failure if you do go back "home". Home is where your heart is.

Don't underestimate the feeling of missing your family. Try imagine how it will feel before you leave ....and then think of ways you can help yourself when you get here.

Don't get upset if people "back home" seem distant. They have also moved on their lives.

Remember Aus is another country and very different to UK. Cherish your old ways but embrace the new ones.

Do what you want to do, not what you think others want you to do. Those that matter don't mind. Those that mind........don't matter.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:18 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Remember it takes time to get established - don't spend it all/do it all at once. The new house the new car and the new anything can be bought a little time in once you have a better grip on the true cost of what you need. And can be all the sweeter when getting what you really want.

We are still managing on one 10 year old car and a motorcycle three and a half years in. We have a wait and see policy on buying/spending and I ask for advice right down to the best place to buy floor cleaner! We have made some mistakes but only ones that we get over and know next time what not to do for us. We do not dwell on the cock ups, but we will tell others if asked and have been told we are whinging, which I believe is a little unfair.

We planned an adventure and to re learn things. I have a tough time with homesickness even now but I acknowledge it and do things for me that help - sorry that does include Bisto, certain sweets and long phone calls to family and friends. I also count the good things big and small all the time. I am currently sitting on my balcony in the sunshine, glass of wine and wireless laptop ...... yes after cleaning the house for four hours, cause the day to day stuff is still there.

Viva la difference!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:20 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

For people who are now living in Perth...

If you ever feel down, homesick, or wonder if you've made the right move, take a drive up to Kings Park.
Walk down to the front of the war memorial, & take in the fantastic views over the Swan River and the City.
Then think to yourself, "Bloody hell, this is where I live!"

That'll sort you out!!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie

If you ever feel down, homesick, or wonder if you've made the right move, take a drive up to Kings Park.
Walk down to the front of the war memorial, & take in the fantastic views over the Swan River and the City.

That'll sort you out!!
And absolutely beautiful , it is too, takes my breath away every time, cant wait to go again.
Makes you realise how lucky we are. Denise
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Ozceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the rough

Three words.

Slip slop slap.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:53 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scossie

That'll sort you out!!
We're going up to Kings Park tomorrow evening to see the city lights
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:58 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use Optus/commonwealthbank/PSS
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

never cross the road when the green man is flashing
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:21 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Tke it easy