Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's in it for you guys already there?

What's in it for you guys already there?

Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:49 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default What's in it for you guys already there?

I was just wondering, what keeps those of you who have already migrated coming back to this forum to browse/post?

It 's probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if it's just to help others with information, hints etc; is it to provide a balance of the plus and minus points about Aus/NZ; is it cos you're addicted; or maybe it's a little bit of home to keep you going when you're a bit homesick?

Or possibly some other reason(s)?

I've noticed some people do keep in contact and others have gone and not been heard from for ages.

Just curious why that is - I can't really ask the ones who have disappeared so I thought I'd ask those still around...

Elaine
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

To keep a sense of perspective and no matter how long you have here you will always be a pom. There is always something surprising about this place that comes up and the forum is a good place to share and learn about it. You can also get good tips from people here who have the perspective of an immigrant.

Plus being bored at work.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Keeping in touch, sharing a few insights, trying to do my bit for the Forum which helped me a lot ('Australia & New Zealand, Probably the most popular destinations for British expatriates. This is where to ask for advice on living in and moving to Australia or New Zealand.), game for a laugh...
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:57 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I'd agree with the 'bored at work' thing. Still, I do this instead of a smoko, and I look on it as being healthier than being addicted to tobacco!

I only found this forum after I'd been back here over a year. My original intention was to help any people working at getting out here with any help / advice / personal experiences which would ease their passage (maybe not the best phraseology on this forum...!) and make life a bit easier.

Turns out it's also a lot of fun, and I've learned quite a few things that I didn't know, too. Like the wills bit - thought I had it all sussed with my / Mrs DUP's wills in the UK, but no. So, it's a two-way street. I give, and I also get.

Steve
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:06 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
I'd agree with the 'bored at work' thing. Still, I do this instead of a smoko, and I look on it as being healthier than being addicted to tobacco!

I only found this forum after I'd been back here over a year. My original intention was to help any people working at getting out here with any help / advice / personal experiences which would ease their passage (maybe not the best phraseology on this forum...!) and make life a bit easier.

Turns out it's also a lot of fun, and I've learned quite a few things that I didn't know, too. Like the wills bit - thought I had it all sussed with my / Mrs DUP's wills in the UK, but no. So, it's a two-way street. I give, and I also get.

Steve
Addicted and bored at work.

I'm giving a presentation to 70 people in 3 hours and yet I'm on the Expats site rather than rehearsing it...
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:11 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by renth

I'm giving a presentation to 70 people in 3 hours and yet I'm on the Expats site rather than rehearsing it...
I can't criticise you there, I'm trying to write a dissertation for my MBA but I've had this forum open on my desktop all day today!

I have written about 1200 words but it's not as much as I should have done...

Good luck with the presentation!

Elaine
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:11 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by renth
Got your priorities right, then?
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:34 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Everyones jobs sound so exciting then if your bored and have to come on here!?

I'am bored thats why I come on, but I'm not at work. Shopping centres, and the beach get boring to after a while so I like to keep my sences alive by coming on here!!!!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Interesting to hear about other peoples experiences and maybe put my ten-peneth in from time to time...
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Mercury Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, but by reading the title of the site you might get a clue. BRITISH EXPATS i.e. people no longer living in Britain????
It's a chance to talk to others in the same boat as well as for some to give advice to others about to take the plunge.
What's everyone else doing using the site, why aren't they using the immigration section?
MM
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mercury Monkey
Sorry, but by reading the title of the site you might get a clue. BRITISH EXPATS i.e. people no longer living in Britain????
It's a chance to talk to others in the same boat as well as for some to give advice to others about to take the plunge.
What's everyone else doing using the site, why aren't they using the immigration section?
MM

Did you get out of bed the wrong side today???????
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:48 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mercury Monkey
MM

'cos it says for people living and AND MOVING TO australia and new zealand...

Whats your excuse?? Shouldnt you be using the returned to uk forum??

sue
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:54 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by janeyray
Everyones jobs sound so exciting then if your bored and have to come on here!?
Depends on what you're doing. When it's IT support, saying that you're bored means that everything is going well, that there are no problems that require your attention!

Means I'm doing my job properly!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:38 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by downunderpom

Means I'm doing my job properly!
Good on yeh then!!!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:40 am
Keelie

Default Re: What's in it for you guys already there?

Whats in it for me?....I'm not now interested in moving back to Oz. or N.Z.,but after an absense of many years I found this forum to to be a wealth of information, it really did prepare me for my time downunder this summer. (Thanks P.B)

When I returned from Australia I realized that I enjoyed reading the postings of the Brits here... the would-be immigrants..and that I was more interested in catching up with the news of what's happening in the towns and cities of the U.K than in Australia!

That's what keeps me coming back. It's interesting to hear first-hand accounts of the changes that are taking place in the land of my birth (waxing poetic here.)

It's an eye-opener to read just how much things have changed since I lived there, and it makes it more real ...reading the impressions and perceptions of the posters.

We stayed in London and Malta last spring, and loved both places...could easily live there if we won the lottery!
As it is, I don't know how people over there manage as well as they do..all of my old friends and family have prospered beyond their dreams..and they started from very modest beginnings.
Anyway..I'm rambling now..so to anwer your question...I still post here from time to time because I have family in Oz. and in the U.K. and because it's a fun way to keep up with the day to day events in both countries.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elaine M
I was just wondering, what keeps those of you who have already migrated coming back to this forum to browse/post?

It 's probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if it's just to help others with information, hints etc; is it to provide a balance of the plus and minus points about Aus/NZ; is it cos you're addicted; or maybe it's a little bit of home to keep you going when you're a bit homesick?

Or possibly some other reason(s)?

I've noticed some people do keep in contact and others have gone and not been heard from for ages.

Just curious why that is - I can't really ask the ones who have disappeared so I thought I'd ask those still around...

Elaine :
:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.