Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats wrong with ACT?

whats wrong with ACT?

Old Apr 10th 2003, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whats wrong with ACT?

I would like to start a debate that involves a major future decision in me and my families lives. What has ACT in comparison to say Perth or Brisbane? in which has the best jobs market (i am a social worker, my husband is a Basic skills college lecture) where are the best houses for the smallest cost? and where has the best climate and least creepy crawlies!

regards Ellen
Old Apr 10th 2003, 12:09 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats wrong with ACT?

Originally posted by ellen1
I would like to start a debate that involves a major future decision in me and my families lives. What has ACT in comparison to say Perth or Brisbane? in which has the best jobs market (i am a social worker, my husband is a Basic skills college lecture) where are the best houses for the smallest cost? and where has the best climate and least creepy crawlies!

regards Ellen
ACT is up in the mountains which means it has a cooler climate. There is regularly snow in winter but mild summers. There were bushfires there this summer. I don't know about work or housing there. I would have thought that the climate would keep creepy-crawlies to a minimum. Sydney is about 2 hours drive away. For climate info look at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate
Old Apr 10th 2003, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bored_bean
ACT is up in the mountains which means it has a cooler climate. There is regularly snow in winter but mild summers. There were bushfires there this summer. I don't know about work or housing there. I would have thought that the climate would keep creepy-crawlies to a minimum. Sydney is about 2 hours drive away. For climate info look at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate
thank for that, not sure i like the sound of snow!
Old Apr 10th 2003, 12:33 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ellen1

regards Ellen
Sorry can only comment on a year in Perth, a year in Canberra and a lot of years near Brisbane.

Perth is so far away from the rest of Australia that it may eventually become another country. I think it may already be a county of England...

Canberra is...ummm...is the weirdest place I have ever lived. It is an artificial...ummm...thing...that..ummm...only...um mm...a mother could love...

Brisbane is like Bedford with a really big gas heater...
Old Apr 10th 2003, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Florida_03
Sorry can only comment on a year in Perth, a year in Canberra and a lot of years near Brisbane.

Perth is so far away from the rest of Australia that it may eventually become another country. I think it may already be a county of England...

Canberra is...ummm...is the weirdest place I have ever lived. It is an artificial...ummm...thing...that..ummm...only...um mm...a mother could love...

Brisbane is like Bedford with a really big gas heater...
ok thanks for advice, anything good about Camberra?
Old Apr 10th 2003, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Even Bill Bryson was hard pushed to find enough to amuse himself over the couple of days he spent in Canbara. I suggest you read his chapter from Down Under. He found it difficult to fill an evening - there being not a lot to do and if I remember correctly he retired to his room early. It sounded soooo boring and looking at pictures of the place it looks pretty soul less, also no beaches. Obne of those falsely created towns that architects so love and mortals not. I haven't been there but I know it would not be the sort of place I would want to visit. Perhaps I am wrong.

Elaine
Old Apr 10th 2003, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a great 4 weeks in canberra and found something to do and places to go every night. i think it helped a great deal that i had the knowledge from many locals who have been there all their lives. it is a strange place, there are 5 or more satellite town centres, now something happens in one of these centres every night so its just a case of knowing where to go if you find the wrong night the pubs etc will be dead. also as about 80% of the population works for the government so every other thursday is govt payday so u will find that the thurs, fri, sat and sun nights after payday are definitely party nights. also in act there are some places that can only not serve alcohol between 5 and 7 in the morning so if you want a proper night out its a good session. there are nice parks and walks around the centre, not far to travel sydney or the coast (only 2 hours), good sporting entertainment, from local to national level and with the australain instutute of sport there you can always grab a game to watch.
canberra also hosts the best ever war memorial i have ever visited, spent a whole day wondering around,it was a highlight of a good stay there.

the work situation wasn't that favourable to me but then with the late nights i dont think i was fit for work anyway

hope this helps