Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's worth buying here?

Wikiposts

What's worth buying here?

Old Sep 20th 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's worth buying here?

Given we've got a good year before we reach Aussie, any tips on what to buy over here would be much appreciated, especially since I always buy hubby presents for Crimbo etc. that I want...I know this thread has probably been covered before, but thought I'd ask again since there's quite a few newbies and new migrants arriving in Aus. What about kids stuff too?
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:07 am
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking What to buy.

I've been told over and over to buy clothes before going to AU because they are expensive there. But that would depend also on your home country's pricing.

Big ticket electronics are very expensive in AU (TV's, home theatre). Both US and UK prices are less EVEN if you ship it from the originating country.

I think you go with what you need and if you are able to have people visit or you visit home you come in mind with a shopping trip as well. Or if you really need a lot of something (i.e. clothes, suits) take a flight to Singapore or Thailand (I got excellent suits made in Thailand and people always gush about the shopping in Singapore).
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to buy.

Thanks for that - think we will stock up with clothes in the New Year sales. I really fancy getting a dishwasher - is it worth buying one here before we go? (Don't have the space or I'd get it now).
What about other white goods anyone?
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:37 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Clothes when they are for children....are not worth buying , little buggers grow out of them too damm quick and then they only want what their mates wear anyway. My son enjoyed three months of being head of the pack (from uk) and then like most wanted to be the same.

I have no idea on the electrical item answer, all our UK stuff is working ...and some.....the AUS stuff is cheap and somewhat nasty in places (looks cheap acts cheap).

Not not being a downer, seriously, it looks cheap here, and is cheap (price). All our Uk stuff after 18 months is working fine (DVD etc, our AUS VHS recorder here is crap and taping funny). Basically you get what you are paying for....and when coverting pounds to dollars, you think you find some bargins. Spend the money and buy good!

Cheers
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

A return ticket. Only kidding
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:51 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to buy.

Originally posted by Larissa
Thanks for that - think we will stock up with clothes in the New Year sales. I really fancy getting a dishwasher - is it worth buying one here before we go? (Don't have the space or I'd get it now).
What about other white goods anyone?
Most rentals have dishwasher, this would be one of the UK items not worth bringing in terms of white goods, unless you already have one. Basically when people here say bring them (ie White Goods) they mean bring what you have not rebuy here to start up. If you need a fridge before you leave (6-18 months) buy one and bring it...don't bother buying things new. It is the replacement cost we all talk about when people already here talk about bring the lot.

I miss the decent front loader washing machine, the decent fridge and separate freezer, and fridge freezer.....they cost so much to replace....

IMOP Only of course!

Cheers
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:55 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by karawara88
A return ticket. Only kidding

I like your humour............move to Sydney ...next and I buy you first beer!

What are you doing up this time of night...no job yet? .....Be nice in response or they will think the week shift is taking over early after the weekend crowd!

Cheers
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Sandra
Clothes when they are for children....are not worth buying , little buggers grow out of them too damm quick and then they only want what their mates wear anyway. My son enjoyed three months of being head of the pack (from uk) and then like most wanted to be the same.

I have no idea on the electrical item answer, all our UK stuff is working ...and some.....the AUS stuff is cheap and somewhat nasty in places (looks cheap acts cheap).

Not not being a downer, seriously, it looks cheap here, and is cheap (price). All our Uk stuff after 18 months is working fine (DVD etc, our AUS VHS recorder here is crap and taping funny). Basically you get what you are paying for....and when coverting pounds to dollars, you think you find some bargins. Spend the money and buy good!

Cheers
Did you take your TV with you and if you did, is that working too. Our telly is old and we wont be taking it, but were planning on buying a new widescreen when we get out there. What do you reckon. Better to buy here in the UK and ship it out.. ??