Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we include the value of our house in NZ in settlement funds?

Can we include the value of our house in NZ in settlement funds?

Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we include the value of our house in NZ in settlement funds?

Just wondering, we already have a house in NZ, can we include the value of it in the settlement funds section on the application?
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that they want to see liquid assets that you can use to support yourself during the settlement. Having a home in NZ doesn't provide you with cash unless you rent it out.

I had to provide a NZ `bank statement showing cash.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

yes, we currently rent it out, so will have a sizable pot in our NZ bank account + savings we will be bringing over to get us through the first months, but it was for the extra points I was asking for, as most people would be using the majority of their money to buy a house. We just happen to have already done that, so you dont think they'd let us include it?
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:05 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nell m
yes, we currently rent it out, so will have a sizable pot in our NZ bank account + savings we will be bringing over to get us through the first months, but it was for the extra points I was asking for, as most people would be using the majority of their money to buy a house. We just happen to have already done that, so you dont think they'd let us include it?
The NZIS rule is for you to show the liquid cash in a NZ bank a/c so I don`t think the house will work at stage 2 - ie it will be fine to show your assets for approval in principle at sage 1 of the app but not good enough for stage 2 - getting final approval and the visas. You could definitely ask the case officer for a bit of flexibility though.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Don, will try to talk to someone at the earls court fair next month, wont be applying for a while, but want to start getting things in order.