British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What's the Temperature & Weather like where you are now? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-temperature-weather-like-where-you-now-684531/)

Alfresco Oct 22nd 2010 10:21 am

Re: What's the Temperature where you are now?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8935047)
We've apparently storms due later, and boy I can tell, my heads pounding, anyone else get that way when the weather changes?

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 8935384)
I do! only when it's a thunderstorm though... and we don't get too many of those in North Wales for some reason... most days are sunny or partly cloudy, we don't get nearly as many grey days as when I was in Cheshire...

I hate those headaches though - and they don't go until the storm has passed :D

Never heard of this phenomenon before. Is it to do with air pressure changing?

Coppock Oct 22nd 2010 10:22 am

Maybe we just have very electric brains ;)

Jen1977ni Oct 22nd 2010 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8935390)

I think so ya lol

Alfresco Oct 22nd 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8935411)
I think so ya lol

Hmmmm. Not good.

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 8935396)
Maybe we just have very electric brains ;)

Are they painful like migrane headaches? If so :(

ProudVIC Oct 22nd 2010 10:43 am

24.5C here today but 29C in Melbourne city and some western suburbs heading towards Geelong. It didn't feel all that hot to me today in Melbourne despite what the temperature was, just a very warm day really.

I have seen the UV index as high as 13 here in mid summer, at that level you get scorched very quickly.

Currently it is 10 under clear skies in the middle of the afternoon which is pretty high. Pollen was dreadful today. Even I got hay fever symptoms and I don't normally get it that bad.

Jen1977ni Oct 22nd 2010 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8935422)
Hmmmm. Not good.

Are they painful like migrane headaches? If so :(

Naw just a sore heavy heed! lol

Alfresco Oct 22nd 2010 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ProudVIC (Post 8935427)
24.5C here today but 29C in Melbourne city and some western suburbs heading towards Geelong. It didn't feel all that hot to me today in Melbourne despite what the temperature was, just a very warm day really.

I have seen the UV index as high as 13 here in mid summer, at that level you get scorched very quickly.

Currently it is 10 under clear skies in the middle of the afternoon which is pretty high. Pollen was dreadful today. Even I got hay fever symptoms and I don't normally get it that bad.

DD suffered really badly in the UK from hayfever. So far here in Brisbane she's been ok. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8935429)

Phew! So at least you can still do stuff normally. :thumbup:

Coppock Oct 22nd 2010 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8935429)

Yea, like it's been turned into a bowling ball!

SueAshforth Oct 22nd 2010 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8833668)
Family has been here less than a week and they're already complaining that it's only 20 degs C outside at 8:45 pm.

It was 23 degs C this morning at 8:30 am, which for me is ideal. :thumbup:

I know the south of Oz is cold still, but it would be good to know how hot or cold it is where you are.

Tell them to think theirselves lucky - it's only 5 degrees Celsius here in Yorkshire - and it was only 2 degrees yesterday! Fairly warm when the sun's out though! (Jammy so-and-so, living in Oz while we're still waiting for our visa, mumble, mumble...)

SueAshforth Oct 22nd 2010 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8935390)

I get this - my husband can't figure out why I always know when it's gonna be a downpour! Sure it's air pressure

Alfresco Oct 22nd 2010 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Coppock (Post 8935441)
Yea, like it's been turned into a bowling ball!

Doesn't sound like much fun at all. :(

Originally Posted by SueAshforth (Post 8935496)
Tell them to think theirselves lucky - it's only 5 degrees Celsius here in Yorkshire - and it was only 2 degrees yesterday! Fairly warm when the sun's out though! (Jammy so-and-so, living in Oz while we're still waiting for our visa, mumble, mumble...)

We're all fine now. Got our little blankets (fleeces) on and things are fine, even though the house is less than 22 degrees C (UK central heating temp) in the early morning.

It doesn't (often) drop below 15 degrees which is the main thing really. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by SueAshforth (Post 8935498)
I get this - my husband can't figure out why I always know when it's gonna be a downpour! Sure it's air pressure

Seems quite common then, with so many positive responses on here.

Sherlock Holmes Oct 22nd 2010 12:23 pm

Been a lovely day but down to 13 now. Have just lit the fire again for twill be cold int mornin' :frown:

PaulandNic Oct 22nd 2010 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8935588)
Have just lit the fire again for twill be cold int mornin' :frown:

We've had a few nights recently here where the fire would've been nice, but silly me stocked the remainder I had out in the garden when it warmed up a bit and now it's all wet ...lol

Incidently, I dunno about now but had a busy day today so not really paying attention, but did see 26.5C on the car thermo midday, but 1) don't know where the temp gauge actually is on the thing, and 2) the car was facing the sun.

I guess 2) would affect the temp ... :confused::unsure:

Sherlock Holmes Oct 22nd 2010 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by PaulandNic (Post 8935977)
We've had a few nights recently here where the fire would've been nice, but silly me stocked the remainder I had out in the garden when it warmed up a bit and now it's all wet ...lol

Incidently, I dunno about now but had a busy day today so not really paying attention, but did see 26.5C on the car thermo midday, but 1) don't know where the temp gauge actually is on the thing, and 2) the car was facing the sun.

I guess 2) would affect the temp ... :confused::unsure:

I think the car needs to move through the air (but in contact with the road :D) for the reading to be accurate. I think the sensor is behind what used to be called the front bumber so that it is shaded.

PaulandNic Oct 22nd 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8935980)
I think the car needs to move through the air (but in contact with the road :D) for the reading to be accurate. I think the sensor is behind what used to be called the front bumber so that it is shaded.

Yeah would make sense. I keep an eye out for all the spots I know that have a time / date / temp kinda thing goin, and my car temp is often very close when moving and the most i've seen is a 2C difference.

My daily drive in and out of work involves passing the Ormeau one you see from the highway (a couple will know) and I'm now starting to observe/monitor (only mentally, paper and pen will follow I think) that they are more so in unison with higher temps (26/28C'ish), falling apart around the 19/20C mark, and that's when I see 2C indifference. Lowest I've seen is prob 7C and both told me the same.

Obsessed? ... no, don't be silly.