Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's so good about Australia?

What's so good about Australia?

Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:33 pm
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold
Default What's so good about Australia?

I have booked a flight to Brisbane to have another look around. The first time I went last year it reminded me of any number of cities in NZ (but with more whites and a weird lack of Aboriginals) but a lot warmer. So I came back thinking, what's the big deal?

However, the job market there is a lot better than NZ for me in IT, so now im unemployed and thinking about it again. I've always struggled to find decent work here, and to be honest, im sick of it.

Im based in Wellington at the moment, and for me to secure work means either a move to Auckland or Christchurch. So im thinking why not just go to Brisbane instead?

I've been living in NZ for 5 years and I am thinking about leaving for good.

I have to make a decision regarding three things.

1) Stay in NZ
2) Move to Australia
3) Move to Cape town, South Africa.

Out of the three options they ALL have plus/minus points, but in my heart I think I would be the happiest in Cape Town.

Moving back to england is not an option - been there done it.

Ideally, I would love to hear from people who lived in NZ, Australia, and South Africa.....

Actually, writing this has helped me to make my mind up a little bit.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's so good about Australia?

I don't think SA is a safe option now, if it ever was. Auckland may be a dangerous place but living behind electric fences and guard dogs in SA is not my scene!

The weather in Oz is better than NZ, which may make up for the more boring scenery. I think Oz TV is worse.

All superficial stuff really: the big thing is whether you have better job prospects in the end!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budowsky
I have booked a flight to Brisbane to have another look around. The first time I went last year it reminded me of any number of cities in NZ (but with more whites and a weird lack of Aboriginals) but a lot warmer. So I came back thinking, what's the big deal?

However, the job market there is a lot better than NZ for me in IT, so now im unemployed and thinking about it again. I've always struggled to find decent work here, and to be honest, im sick of it.

Im based in Wellington at the moment, and for me to secure work means either a move to Auckland or Christchurch. So im thinking why not just go to Brisbane instead?

1) Stay in NZ
2) Move to Australia

Out of the three options they ALL have plus/minus points, but in my heart I think I would be the happiest in Cape Town.

Ideally, I would love to hear from people who lived in NZ, Australia, and South Africa.....

If I was single, I would be living back in SA, no question, making shit loads of money. Now I have a family, SA is not an option.
Perth is a great place to raise a family. For me, Perth offers the best combination of income & lifestyle available to me on this planet. If I was single, I would also live in Perth. The women here are superb!
I would only live in NZ if there was no other option.
I doubt whether I will ever live permanently in the UK again.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I've always struggled to find decent work here, and to be honest, im sick of it.
Me too, I land in Brisbane on the 8th of January and can't bloody wait
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well..in a nutshell:

i) Australia is a First world, 'western' country which is not yet as crowded or
as fast as other First world, 'western' countries.
ii) Compared to some other First world, 'western' countries, it has modern cities with enviable lifestyles (which many western people aspire to or admire)
iii) It has 'good' weather.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:23 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Stay in NZ
2) Move to Australia

Why Brisbane??? The only good thing about Brisbane is that ummmm... I dunno thinking about it as a city I didnt like anything about it. I guess it was good that it was only about an hour and a halfs drive to escape to the Sunshine coast (which was nice), yet to counter that its too far to be able to live and commute to the city for work....

My thoughts would be exactly as Amazulu's already said, Perth would be were id head, cant comment about SA, but from what too many people have said I dont think id risk living there regardless of what stage of life I was at.
Ive visited the 3 cities in NZ, I could live in Christchurch during winter to work if it meant I could escape to Queenstown every weekend. Auckland and Wellington - nice to visit but wouldnt really want to stay there.

What area of IT are you in?

Last edited by steve99; Dec 12th 2006 at 4:41 am.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wol]I don't think SA is a safe option now, if it ever was. Auckland may be a dangerous place but living behind electric fences and guard dogs in SA is not my scene!

I don't know because I have never been there.

But I was playing golf the other week with a South African, who turned out to be an immigration lawyer. This lead us into to talking about why we moved over here. He asked me "how many people do you know who have been murdered" I replied that I sort of knew 3 people who had been killed(friends of friends etc) he replied that he knew of 20 plus and that was reason enough in my book.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:46 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

1) Stay in NZ
2) Move to Australia

You can't judge OZ by just one quick visit to one city, Brisbane,you should see alot more of OZ before you judge it , both the cities and the countryside, its just like an Aussie staying at Liverpool for a couple of weeks, not seeing any other part of the UK and then judging all of it, regarding not seeing many aboriginies, they only make up around 1% of the population. Have you thought about Melbourne or Sydney, probAbly more job opportunities then brisbane and you might like those cities better.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 12th 2006 at 6:10 am.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:53 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Well..in a nutshell:

i) Australia is a First world, 'western' country which is not yet as crowded or
as fast as other First world, 'western' countries.
ii) Compared to some other First world, 'western' countries, it has modern cities with enviable lifestyles (which many western people aspire to or admire)
iii) It has 'good' weather.
Great beaches, one of the fastest growing economies because of its massive natural resources and minerals boom, relatively low crime, record low unemployment, scenic countryside, large country with a small population , plenty of open spaces , outdoor activites,

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 12th 2006 at 5:55 am.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Andrew Crown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I thought I'd add my view. Why don't you look at the Gold Coast again when you are in Brisbane. The place is practically fizzing with new investment and new companies moving in all the time. It isn't all about that 3 mile coastal strip, there are some fantastic suburbs with waterfront living all within manageable distance of Brisbane if that is where you need work. I couldn't be happier here.

Cheers

Andrew
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew Crown
Hi I thought I'd add my view. Why don't you look at the Gold Coast again when you are in Brisbane. The place is practically fizzing with new investment and new companies moving in all the time. It isn't all about that 3 mile coastal strip, there are some fantastic suburbs with waterfront living all within manageable distance of Brisbane if that is where you need work. I couldn't be happier here.

Cheers

Andrew
Alot of people on the forum said they don't like Brisbane but like the Gold coast.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:12 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Check out our web site.........we moved to Oz in March so our web site may help you to decide

1) Stay in NZ
2) Move to Australia

Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:58 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If I was single, I would be living back in SA, no question, making shit loads of money. Now I have a family, SA is not an option.
Perth is a great place to raise a family. For me, Perth offers the best combination of income & lifestyle available to me on this planet. If I was single, I would also live in Perth. The women here are superb!
I would only live in NZ if there was no other option.
I doubt whether I will ever live permanently in the UK again.
I am thinking about giving OZ a year, might not be Brisbane, and then if that doesn't work out move to Cape Town. I have to wait for my visa for SA anyway and that can take up to a year.

I have to be honest though, after several moves im starting to wonder - maybe it's me and not the countries... There is probably some truth in that.

No way would I ever go back to the UK. I have great childhood memories but little else. I went back recently and lasted a month. Somehow, somewhere, somebody ****ed it and nobody noticed.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steve99
Why Brisbane??? The only good thing about Brisbane is that ummmm... I dunno thinking about it as a city I didnt like anything about it. I guess it was good that it was only about an hour and a halfs drive to escape to the Sunshine coast (which was nice), yet to counter that its too far to be able to live and commute to the city for work....

My thoughts would be exactly as Amazulu's already said, Perth would be were id head, cant comment about SA, but from what too many people have said I dont think id risk living there regardless of what stage of life I was at.
Ive visited the 3 cities in NZ, I could live in Christchurch during winter to work if it meant I could escape to Queenstown every weekend. Auckland and Wellington - nice to visit but wouldnt really want to stay there.

What area of IT are you in?
I've been contracting as a programmer (Delphi.Net) but now thinking about moving into something else.