Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's with the rounding down of money?

What's with the rounding down of money?

Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:07 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's with the rounding down of money?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Nope, if I'm messing about trying to save the odd cent here and there I'm essentially living like a poor person. Using my eftpos card means I dont have to withdraw $50 for a $22 purchase.
Charming turn of phrase, Nige. Just because I budget using cash and not a card doesn't mean I live like a poor person! It means I live like a sensible person. Just because you do it differently doesn't mean others are stupid or 'poor'
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:46 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if its been said but it gets on my nerves when they price things at $4.99 - they get the cent every time! Woollies and other major stores are big culprits!!!!
(unless you pay by EFTPOS)
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Dunno if its been said but it gets on my nerves when they price things at $4.99 - they get the cent every time! Woollies and other major stores are big culprits!!!!
(unless you pay by EFTPOS)
Just buy two more items with $xx.99 then it will be rounded down in your favour.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:29 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Just buy two more items with $xx.99 then it will be rounded down in your favour.
hahaha I like it!!!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

umer0101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Dunno how you work that out?
I take out my budget money every week. I never have to use EFTPOS. I keep to the budget.

Using EFTPOS is easier and you don't know how much you're spending.
help me
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umer0101
help me
EFTPOS = Paying with a card rather than cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFTPOS
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on, I never called anyone stupid or poor. If you keep your eye on every penny, yes, you are living like a poor person.

Using EFTPOS means you spend exactly what you need to every time. Buying 2 more items to make the rounding off go in your favour? Wel done, you've given the shop more of your money that you didnt intend to spend. That is not good money management.

The longer your money stays in the bank, the longer you'll have it. (unless we hit a major financial crisis and the bank goes bust resulting in you losing all your money, but then you're back to the mattress solution.... which is living like a poor person).
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:26 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Just go a put $10.02 in your car everytime you refuel. The more you refuel the more money you save.
I only ever put $0.07 worth of petrol in when I refuel... and I hand over a single 5c coin each time. This way, I save approx 30% when buying fuel.

People often laugh at me as it takes me over 3 days to fill the tank this way...

But hey- if they want to laugh at me as they throw their money away, then I don't mind.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:40 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If they want to make a profit for selling that info, I have no problems.
It only shows what I buy from Woolworths:
Top quality toilet rolls, no fruit veg or milk, ...
you see, that's what they want you to think.

But people like me and Deancm know, that there are teams of men in grey that spend many hours manipulating your data in order to create a profile. The information is sorted and filtered through huge mainframe computer systems, and analysed by faceless government bureaucrats.

They know more about you and your habits, than you yourself know. Going to the toilet in a minute? They knew that - yesterday. Fancy a quick trip to woolworths to get a bag of grainwaves ? The men in grey are already on the phone to the store, ensuring that the shelf is fully stocked.

If you value your privacy - then chop up your cards and close all your accounts. Turn off your utilities. I've even stopped using cash, as DNA profiling is advancing so much....Nowadays I just steal what I need.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:43 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by umer0101
help me
umer0101 - is it an emergency?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Nowadays I just steal what I need.
Thats what they want you to do
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

But people like me and Deancm know, that there are teams of men in grey that spend many hours manipulating your data in order to create a profile. The information is sorted and filtered through huge mainframe computer systems, and analysed by faceless government bureaucrats.

They know more about you and your habits, than you yourself know. Going to the toilet in a minute? They knew that - yesterday. Fancy a quick trip to woolworths to get a bag of grainwaves ? The men in grey are already on the phone to the store, ensuring that the shelf is fully stocked.

If you value your privacy - then chop up your cards and close all your accounts. Turn off your utilities. I've even stopped using cash, as DNA profiling is advancing so much....Nowadays I just steal what I need.
Don't forget the hat . . . DON'T FORGET THE HAT! . . . .

Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:23 am
Account Open

that's one serious looking cat !
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

HazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant future

Another problem is that the profiling isn't always accurate. A couple of years ago, back in the UK, one week I bought some Kleenex and Vaseline from Tescos. The following week I received my clubcard vouchers and a discount voucher for Lemsip. I think their system assumed, based on my purchasing habits, that I had a bad cold. They were wrong.

Cheers,

Stu
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:26 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Round up is very good on weeds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.