Reload this Page >

What's Perth Really Like?

What's Perth Really Like?

Old May 30th 2006, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's Perth Really Like?

Hi All

Just wanted to find out what Perth is really like, where's good to go out, where to live, what's fun, prices etc.

Been in Oz for nearly a year now and loving it. We currently live in Sydney, Eastern Burbs not far from the beach, great cafes, resturaunts, bars etc which is great.

I've never been to Perth but my boss is asking me if I'd like to go out there and set-up the new office. Waiting to here waht the deal is/would be but wanted to find out a little more about it. Just discovered 4WD and want to do some of the trips in WA (Gibb River Road etc) so that would be handy but wanted to find out a bit more about the place.

As a Sydney-sider most people in Syndey say Perth is okay but it's full of Poms, and South Africans and kms from anywhere! So come on what's it like? Would you move from Sydney to Perth? Will it satisy a young couple who are looking to have a good time but maybe settle down and start a family in the next few years?

Cheers

Will
Old May 30th 2006, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice
Default Re: What's Perth Really Like?

Originally Posted by willkerr
Hi All

Just wanted to find out what Perth is really like, where's good to go out, where to live, what's fun, prices etc.

Been in Oz for nearly a year now and loving it. We currently live in Sydney, Eastern Burbs not far from the beach, great cafes, resturaunts, bars etc which is great.

I've never been to Perth but my boss is asking me if I'd like to go out there and set-up the new office. Waiting to here waht the deal is/would be but wanted to find out a little more about it. Just discovered 4WD and want to do some of the trips in WA (Gibb River Road etc) so that would be handy but wanted to find out a bit more about the place.

As a Sydney-sider most people in Syndey say Perth is okay but it's full of Poms, and South Africans and kms from anywhere! So come on what's it like? Would you move from Sydney to Perth? Will it satisy a young couple who are looking to have a good time but maybe settle down and start a family in the next few years?

Cheers

Will
Ummmmmmmmmmm.From Sydney to Perth compleatly diffrent lifestyle.Nightlife not on your doorstep unless you live in leederville or Subi or of course Fremantle.
First 2 close to City.
If you are planning a family its a great way of life,its clean,fab beaches much better than Sydney plenty of parks.
I did live in Sydney when I was in my 20s and loved it but not 20 years on no way would I want to live there.
Only advantage I see is you are closer to the other states.
As for it full of Poms and S/Africans yes thats right.

House prices 4-2 with pool around $400.000.
Good luck.
Old May 30th 2006, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I'd bump myself back up the forum a bit and say thanks for the ONE reply that I've had. Come on with so many people living in Perth I thought there would be masses of replies saying how great Perth was and make sure you come out here. Perhaps Perth isn't that great........
Old May 30th 2006, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

Can I let you know in 2 months when I get there?
Old May 30th 2006, 11:30 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd bump myself back up the forum a bit and say thanks for the ONE reply that I've had. Come on with so many people living in Perth I thought there would be masses of replies saying how great Perth was and make sure you come out here. Perhaps Perth isn't that great........

Maybe do a search as there is shit loads of info already on this site.
Old May 31st 2006, 12:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Maybe do a search as there is shit loads of info already on this site.
This forum is suffering from Perth Fatigue.
Old May 31st 2006, 12:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
This forum appears to be suffering from everything fatigue at the moment
Old May 31st 2006, 12:56 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
This forum appears to be suffering from everything fatigue at the moment
Lol too true, I had noticed
Old May 31st 2006, 2:59 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
I was shocked to see people coming on here to ask questions about one of australia's major citys.

By the way OP its a very nice place IMHO !

You will only know if you like it after living here for a while .
Old May 31st 2006, 3:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Cheers

Will
Well, as another 'young couple' (no kids, yet), we love it here!
It's not paradise, but nowhere is!

We lived towards the centre of Perth for a while (Mt Hawthorn), which was very nice. Now we live about 20km's out. Less to pubs and cafe's around here, but we don't visit them that much anyway. And when we want to, we'll just travel a bit further. Though, there is a nice tavern at 5 mins walk!

We don't notice many poms/south africans, but it all depends on the suburb, and what 'circle' of people you hang out with!

Anyway, you won't know if it suits you until you live here. All of these comments will give you a better idea, but none of us is you, in your exact situation!

Anyway, to get an even better idea of what we do, check out our weblog (in signature)

good luck with the decision! Sounds like it's any easy one, as you'd already have work!

Oh, and 4WDing is great of course. Gibb river rd is very far north, but also plenty of places closer by, like the southwest (ie, Wellington Dam National Park, east of Bunbury).
Old May 31st 2006, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: What's Perth Really Like?

Perth is beautiful - stunning beaches (yes nicer than Sydney) very clean - a much smaller city - incredible sunsets and an amazing number of places to travel to in all directions. The downside is that it is a little small and it is a million miles from everywhere else. For a couple hoping to start a family and looking to buy a property and with a job already lined up I would say grab the opportunity with both hands and go for it.

Good luck

Sue
Old May 31st 2006, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

I'd be asking your boss to pay for a trip over so you can check it out for yourself before you make a decision.

Andy
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

[QUOTE=willkerr]Hi All

I'd say its good and bad in equal measure.

Its a state capital and the biggest city for at least 1000 miles in any direction but its parochial and shuts down after 5pm. The coast line is fantastic and the hills are lovely but there are 100s of square kilometres of urban sprawl and growing.

Its a tremendous place but it could be better if all the accommodation was 2 story and the footprints of the houses didn't take up the whole plot.

The summers are (generally) hot and long but the winters are cold and long and it never stays light beyond 7pm in the height of summer and if you don't leave work till 6pm like me you don't get to see much in the evenings. But if you like getting up early in the summer its light at 4am. But in the winter you can go to work in the dark and come home in the dark northern European style.

Perth used to be cheap but now it isn't

Nobody has to be unemployed if they don't want to be.

Its friendly and its safe and people will stop you in the street and tell you if you're doing something they don't approve of, like not bringing your kids up in the right way or being foreign.

The quality of the television and radio is desperate but who needs it anyway. Then again Triple J reaches Perth and saves the day however its probably delayed by 2 hours. Everything that happens in the east is delayed by 2 to 3 hours when it reaches Perth.

This balanced report is probably a thread in its own right.

Come over and have a look around.

Freo is terrific and so is Rotto and there are lots of gems but you have to work at finding them....

Good luck
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Steve Zodiac]
but its parochial and shuts down after 5pm.
Hi Steve and thanks for the good post, but what do you mean by this? Do you mean there are no restaurants, bars, etc after 5pm? Is that just the CBD or are the burbs like that too? We're heading to Cottesloe initially and chose there because I thought there would be places to go in the evenings and easy access to CBD.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What's Perth Really Like?

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Do you mean there are no restaurants, bars, etc after 5pm? Is that just the CBD or are the burbs like that too?
Shops tend to shut between 17:00-17:30; bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. are all open until late. This is true for the CBD and suburbs alike.

We're heading to Cottesloe initially and chose there because I thought there would be places to go in the evenings and easy access to CBD.
I'm assuming you're aware of the fact that Cottesloe has some of the most expensive real estate in the entire state? If so, then fair play to you; you're obviously loaded to the gills.

There's plenty to do in Cotts - and for a great night out at a very fine café overlooking the beach, I can personally recommend The Blue Duck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.