Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's it like living on the Gold Coast

What's it like living on the Gold Coast

Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:41 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Question What's it like living on the Gold Coast

Hi folks,

Wondered if anyone could help. Just sent off application for a job and there's a chance that it could be on the GC. Never really considered living there before. Ever since we validated Visa's and visited Brisbane that's been the place for us. Now that there's a small chance of a job and it might be the GC I'm starting to panic.

Can anyone tell me what they think of life on the GC. Houses, schools, shopping and life in general. Also is it feasible to live in Brisbane and commute?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:38 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like living on the Gold Coast

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks,

Wondered if anyone could help. Just sent off application for a job and there's a chance that it could be on the GC. Never really considered living there before. Ever since we validated Visa's and visited Brisbane that's been the place for us. Now that there's a small chance of a job and it might be the GC I'm starting to panic.

Can anyone tell me what they think of life on the GC. Houses, schools, shopping and life in general. Also is it feasible to live in Brisbane and commute?

Cheers

Ginny
Hi Ginny
Have you seen my website? http://www.goldcoastsmile.com
We help people in your situation going to somewhere new & help them out best we can! On the "Suburbs" page is a great guide to the areas of the GC.... Let me know if I can help more!
Claire
x
Old Nov 13th 2005, 8:34 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Ginny
Have you seen my website? http://www.goldcoastsmile.com
We help people in your situation going to somewhere new & help them out best we can! On the "Suburbs" page is a great guide to the areas of the GC.... Let me know if I can help more!
Claire
x
Hi Claire,

I remember a wee while back getting a PM from you introducing your company....I skimmed through the website but at that time wasn't really contemplating the Gold Coast. Now that there's a chance of employment I have been trying to get as much info. The Suburbs page is fantastic. It gives and insight into the areas. Really appreciate all the detail you've put into it.

Thanks, I'll have a proper scout in a wee while.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:05 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks,

Cheers

Ginny
Sorry, I only went to GC for 5 days in April, so I can't really comment, but I can't resist saying, you should enjoy as long as you take your Lilo, Stitch
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:14 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Sorry, I only went to GC for 5 days in April, so I can't really comment, but I can't resist saying, you should enjoy as long as you take your Lilo, Stitch
Cheers for that! Put a wee smile on my face

Ginny
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:23 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

we have just driven through most of the gold coast this week, and its all vry very immaculate. Perfect in every way.
Too uniform for us as we like a mish mash of houses rather than what i would call stepford wifes county.

All a bit too new and immaculate for us, but there is nothing wrong with the place. Sure beats the uk if thats what you are worried about.
Burleigh heads was just down the road and was a bit more like a sea side town rather that a huge barratt estate.

just my view im sure youll have your own views.

Click on my name and find my post about the reccie trip if you like . we are in the sunshine coast for 2 weeks b4 we go back to uk as we have just come to validate.
al and clare.x
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:24 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stitch, we've been living on the Gold Coast a couple of months now and we have relatives that have lived here years.
Where we are now (Runaway Bay) is about a 5 min drive to Surfers Paradise itself which is great, but we are far enough away to not get all the tourists and stuff round here. We are looking at moving about 20 mins North so we'd be nearer Brisbane, purely because we prefer the areas (Helensvale or Coomera)
There are some good state schools around, one of which my bro in law works in and would be prepared to send his kids there when he has them.
As for commuting I suppose it depends on how far you want to drive each day and what area of the Gold Coast the job is at. From our house it takes about an hour to get to the airport.
Marie
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:57 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

We've travelled quite alot around the East Coast and now live in Southport.

The GC is a great place to live with loads to do and a genuinely laid back life style. I totally agree with the poster that said some of it is like Stepford Wives. There are alot of characterless suburds on the coast which are completely manmade and purpose built.

I don't like these either, however there's plenty on here that live in these as they provide big houses, safety and pretty much your everyday needs. We prefer Southport as like the other poster we like the misk mash of houses which history provides.

As such, whichever you prefer the coast has all the varieties of housing/ lifestyle you can want.

As I said there's loads to do here and we like the feeling of living a completely different lifestyle to the UK, whereas alot of the city suburbs like those in Brissy offer little other than the weather compared to the UK.

Paul.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic estates a plenty but some nicer areas in the hinterland, but then your not at the beach.

Did three months there, wasnt keen to stay mainly as we have boys who were teenage and approaching teenage, didnt like the schools or the drug culture many of the schools. Prefer sunshine coast but gold coast has a better highway to brisbane.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:27 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
We've travelled quite alot around the East Coast and now live in Southport.

The GC is a great place to live with loads to do and a genuinely laid back life style. I totally agree with the poster that said some of it is like Stepford Wives. There are alot of characterless suburds on the coast which are completely manmade and purpose built.

I don't like these either, however there's plenty on here that live in these as they provide big houses, safety and pretty much your everyday needs. We prefer Southport as like the other poster we like the misk mash of houses which history provides.

As such, whichever you prefer the coast has all the varieties of housing/ lifestyle you can want.

As I said there's loads to do here and we like the feeling of living a completely different lifestyle to the UK, whereas alot of the city suburbs like those in Brissy offer little other than the weather compared to the UK.

Paul.
Paul
I totally agree - the areas around Southport are lovely. We are headed fro Ashmore.
Claire
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

We're in Currumbin and we're loving it You'll know what area is right for you when you get here...honest When we was still in the UK I used to worry so much about where to settle...the areas and house type we wanted.....gone for something totally different. Just take your time and look around, you'll know when you find it.

Sue x
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:36 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hiya

We're in Currumbin and we're loving it You'll know what area is right for you when you get here...honest When we was still in the UK I used to worry so much about where to settle...the areas and house type we wanted.....gone for something totally different. Just take your time and look around, you'll know when you find it.

Sue x
Cheers Sue,

I suppose I just want to get a rough idea of the areas seen as it was a place I hadn't considered!

Thanks and any other comments keep em coming.

Ginny