Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's it like for the kids?

What's it like for the kids?

Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:16 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's it like for the kids?

Hi folks,

Just thinking about Oz as I do and I was wondering if anyone would share their views about how it's been for their kids moving out there. We have a 4 and 7 year old who see their grandparents regularly. I know it won't be easy but how have your kids adjusted?

Would welcome your views.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like for the kids?

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks,

Just thinking about Oz as I do and I was wondering if anyone would share their views about how it's been for their kids moving out there. We have a 4 and 7 year old who see their grandparents regularly. I know it won't be easy but how have your kids adjusted?

Cheers

Ginny
Hiya Ginny

Both have been great! My son who's 6yo wasn't really that bothered, I dont think he understood what was going on really....my daughter the 8yo really didn't want to come...like your kids they regularly see both grandparents and was so upset with the thought of not seeing them. Both now say they do still miss family but wouldn't want to move back to the UK, there is so much to do here for the kids they just love it!

I actually asked my daughter if she wanted to go back and she said NO!

Sue x...your kids will love it here...honest!!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Our kids were 4 & 2 when we moved out. They've taken to this like ducks to water. Proper Aussies now.

They both saw their grandparents regularly...they still do, only now it's on web cam.

They did miss them to start off with and make the occasional comment but over time that became less and less.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

Cheers

Ginny

younger kids ajust very well anywhere......it's just the parents and teens that have a hard time if they are very close to their family and friends
Old Nov 12th 2005, 4:54 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think I myself are going through one of those panic moments as well! Just sent off an application for a job in Oz and it's all hitting home again. Fingers crossed I'll get it as it's a permanent post but at the same time there's the panic.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:14 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was 8 when we moved to Australia. I don't think I fully realised that we would not be coming back. I did like it in Australia,

I went BMX'ing everywhere,

I could swim in the pool every night after school for most months of the year.

I played tee-ball, little athletics, gymnastics (none of which, I did in England)

I joined the Brownies (still emotionally scarred as my Mother made me wear my English Brownie uniform (long sleeved brown dress, bobble hat) Anyway they were all wearing yellow tees and pinafores with berets on their heads! I looked a proper ponce

I didn't miss England enough to want to go back. I DID get picked on at school, mainly for my Bristolian accent. I DID feel alone a lot of the time, as it took me a while to get used to the Aussie way of life. Later on, in my teens, I missed England terribly....and so in the end, at 24....I came back!

And now I miss Australia! So there is no pleasing some ppl....it would seem!

Kids are very resilient - Australia is a robust, healthy environment and so much so, that if I am ever lucky enough to be blessed with children, I will not hesitate to bring them up in Australia!

Susan

ps. as usual...I have waffled!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:19 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I was 8 when we moved to Australia. I don't think I fully realised that we would not be coming back. I did like it in Australia,

I went BMX'ing everywhere,

I could swim in the pool every night after school for most months of the year.

I played tee-ball, little athletics, gymnastics (none of which, I did in England)

I joined the Brownies (still emotionally scarred as my Mother made me wear my English Brownie uniform (long sleeved brown dress, bobble hat) Anyway they were all wearing yellow tees and pinafores with berets on their heads! I looked a proper ponce

I didn't miss England enough to want to go back. I DID get picked on at school, mainly for my Bristolian accent. I DID feel alone a lot of the time, as it took me a while to get used to the Aussie way of life. Later on, in my teens, I missed England terribly....and so in the end, at 24....I came back!

And now I miss Australia! So there is no pleasing some ppl....it would seem!

Kids are very resilient - Australia is a robust, healthy environment and so much so, that if I am ever lucky enough to be blessed with children, I will not hesitate to bring them up in Australia!

Susan

ps. as usual...I have waffled!
Hi Susan,

Cheers for the insight. I think, in my heart of hearts my kids will be ok. They are hardy kids who I hope are learning to be independant and loveable people. They will miss things about here but hopefully as you say Oz is a good environment and they will strive. Just a panic moment!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:41 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Hi Susan,

Cheers for the insight. I think, in my heart of hearts my kids will be ok. They are hardy kids who I hope are learning to be independant and loveable people. They will miss things about here but hopefully as you say Oz is a good environment and they will strive. Just a panic moment!

Cheers

Ginny
Our nephew (19 now 14 when emmigrated) came back on holiday this summer and got it out his system. Says now hes been back he doesn't think he will return, see the place for what it is and made him realis ehow lucky he is to be in Oz.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:51 am
Just Joined

sunbaker will become famous soon enough

Hi Ginny

we have four children all quite happy to come out to Oz even leaving their family and friends behind, which helped as I have got teen boys one of those has embraced his new life and would have to be dragged back to England he is a twin his twin brother however would go back tommorow he really misses his friends, but he does take longer to adjust and is not miserable here he enjoys school but is very English if that makes sense and I do feel for him at times but finding him a football club to join has helped a lot , my other two are girls they love it here my nine year old has just started with the accent and my twelve year old again would have to be dragged back to the UK, the big difference is they are still intouch with their friends on msn, letters and phone calls and know they are missing out on very little, were as they have always got a tale to tell, wether its about the koala in the tree at school, or the places they have visited at the weekend, we feel so lucky being here, do miss tesco though lol dont know what im going to do without M&S for all my christmas food just kidding its so great here for kids

Donna
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:27 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by sunbaker
Hi Ginny

we have four children all quite happy to come out to Oz even leaving their family and friends behind, which helped as I have got teen boys one of those has embraced his new life and would have to be dragged back to England he is a twin his twin brother however would go back tommorow he really misses his friends, but he does take longer to adjust and is not miserable here he enjoys school but is very English if that makes sense and I do feel for him at times but finding him a football club to join has helped a lot , my other two are girls they love it here my nine year old has just started with the accent and my twelve year old again would have to be dragged back to the UK, the big difference is they are still intouch with their friends on msn, letters and phone calls and know they are missing out on very little, were as they have always got a tale to tell, wether its about the koala in the tree at school, or the places they have visited at the weekend, we feel so lucky being here, do miss tesco though lol dont know what im going to do without M&S for all my christmas food just kidding its so great here for kids

Donna
Thanks folks,

Really appreciate your replies. You go through phases of planning for Oz and get past all the trials and tribulations but the closer it gets, (we've had PR Visa since 2002!!!) the more scarier it becomes! I do wory about my kids and my mum etc. I feel very selfish at times for leaving family behind and yet
at the same time know that I have to do this or live a life full of regret. I don't know how it'll work out but we're willing to try! Here's hoping it works!

Cheers

Ginny