British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Whats Latham doing milking the system. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-latham-doing-milking-system-249852/)

jad n rich Aug 20th 2004 12:45 am

Whats Latham doing milking the system.

Whys Mark Latham in a public hospital???

Austraian residents on high income :rolleyes: over $50,000 are supposed to take out private health cover or be penalised tax wise, to ease the burden on our collapsing health system.

So whats Latham, leader of the opposition, doing taking up a free public bed.

*Post on australia dont worry I dont actually expect any replies :D

ABCDiamond Aug 20th 2004 12:49 am

Re: Whats Latham doing milking the system.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Whys Mark Latham in a public hospital???

Labor Senate leader John Faulkner said Mr Latham had requested public hospital care because "he wanted to ensure that he was treated just the same as any other Australian"

cresta57 Aug 20th 2004 12:55 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Labor Senate leader John Faulkner said Mr Latham had requested public hospital care because "he wanted to ensure that he was treated just the same as any other Australian"

That and the fact the elections looming, all a good publicity stunt really :(

jad n rich Aug 20th 2004 1:30 am

Yes I heard that, complete joke, hes earning over 50k so let him pay like the rest of us, then he really would be Australian.

chocaholic Aug 20th 2004 6:33 am

Oh yeah, it's all to do with the elections coupled with not wanting to pay the excess if he went private :p

bondipom Aug 20th 2004 6:46 am

Yeh he should milk his man boobs instead.

walaj Aug 20th 2004 6:57 am

Originally Posted by bondipom

You should have seen the the C4 programme on boy baps earlier this week, it included a guy who could milk his :scared:

chocaholic Aug 20th 2004 6:59 am

:D :D I'm kind of laughing & cringing thinking about this one !!

Peter Aug 20th 2004 7:56 am

Considering Labor are the architects of Medicare, it wouldn't be the done thing for its leader to be seen in a private hospital.

The Bloke Aug 20th 2004 8:35 am

Didn't know it was a hard and fast rule written anywhere that said that if you earned over $50000 you had to have private health cover. My thought was that it was voluntary. Tax breaks if you have private cover is for EVERYONE so the current gov't says regardless of income. Medicare bulk-billing only started to collapse when the current gov't changed things after they first came to power.

Sure its not that if you earn over $52000 you get more tax reductions than someone on less than $52000, so therefore being able to afford private health insurance (which does not mean they pay every cent of your bill though). You can still go as private patient in a public hospital and have the doctor of your choice.

If it is a cheap stunt, I think that other pollies have tried it in the past and will no doubt try it in the future. :rolleyes:

I think that this thread may better be on the "Take It Outside" forum, as it is a topic that could be a little heated. :D

The Bloke Aug 20th 2004 8:48 am

Bondi, I think Kim Beazley would have bigger boobs than Latham. :D

Peter Aug 20th 2004 8:54 am

Don't people on $50K or more get hit with an extra 1% levy if they don't have private insurance?

Gwaily Aug 20th 2004 9:02 am

Think it's combined income of over $100,000 per annum when the medicare levy kicks in.
Hence we've just taken out private health after 6 years of arguing the toss.
It's a way of taking some pressure off the public system.
I'm a registered nurse working in a private hospital after years of working in a big public hospital in the UK.
My views are torn on the whole debate so I won't get on my soap box.
I'll just listen to you guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Gail

bondipom Aug 20th 2004 9:10 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Bondi, I think Kim Beazley would have bigger boobs than Latham. :D

LOL
Probably but I don't think he played cricket against the canberra press corp and got exposed.

damon Aug 20th 2004 9:15 am

LOL
Probably but I don't think he played cricket against the canberra press corp and got exposed.

oh god,that news footage is burned on my memory.