Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's a Hedgehog?

What's a Hedgehog?

Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Talking What's a Hedgehog?

I was sitting with my twin six year olds last night, flicking through an animal encyclopaedia, we were all able to identify the kangaroos (red and gray) the bilby, the wombat (including the hairy nose variety).

I flicked over the page and pointed to a hedgehog "what's that?" I asked - silence.... I couldn't believe it, they didn't know what a hedgehog was because they havent seen one in years....
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:58 am
Now a Citizen. YAY!

Ron888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's a Hedgehog?

Originally Posted by renth
I was sitting with my twin six year olds last night, flicking through an animal encyclopaedia, we were all able to identify the kangaroos (red and gray) the bilby, the wombat (including the hairy nose variety).

I flicked over the page and pointed to a hedgehog "what's that?" I asked - silence.... I couldn't believe it, they didn't know what a hedgehog was because they havent seen one in years....
Hmmm.... I havent also seen a real one but I always relate a hedgehog to SONIC, that main character in the Sega Gaming console (ala Mario Bros for the Nintendo)... hehehehehe

Cheers,
Ron.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:35 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ron888
Hmmm.... I havent also seen a real one but I always relate a hedgehog to SONIC, that main character in the Sega Gaming console (ala Mario Bros for the Nintendo)... hehehehehe

Cheers,
Ron.
I recall hedgehogs as being those flat things on the side of the road in England.....aaaaaahhhhhh
ViVi
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:57 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vivi
I recall hedgehogs as being those flat things on the side of the road in England.....aaaaaahhhhhh
ViVi
Along with the badgers, the foxes, the rabbits and other assorted wildlife. It was getting me really depressed towards the end of our time in England. Never saw less than half a dozen dead animals on the way to the shops.

I am hoping to see significantly less roadkill in Oz, but will probably be disappointed. The specimens will probably be bigger!!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:00 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

I am hoping to see significantly less roadkill in Oz, but will probably be disappointed. The specimens will probably be bigger!!
If you go anywhere out west, you will be very disappointed. Definately a case of needing a peg on the nose for extended periods of time as you drive
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

can they recognise an echidna?

say it looks similar to that, but with bigger spines ( which aren't all that sharp surprisingly enough - the one I had was very blunt, although I used gloves, but the ends were blunt on a lot of the spines).

I picked up one the other night , put it back into the bush on our property , stupid b*gger was walking up the middle of the road ( they get run over a lot).

Not one person in work with me has seen an echidna here in Brisbane, which surprised me since lot of them are Aussie born ( they've only seen them in zoos , and outside Brisbane dead on the roads ) , but they are living in your average new "built up estates" and don't have much wildlife around their homes - depends where you live regarding wildlife.

You see lots of dead wildlife driving outside Brisbane _ Brisbane is built up in a lot of places with ugly estates and artificial parks , not a lot of natural environment left - you have to have wildlife to run over

we are quite lucky where we live in Brisbane in Pine shire , plenty of wildlife on and around our land - reason why we bought our land in the first place, and didn't buy into one of these built up estates.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 31st 2005 at 3:42 am.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
can they recognise an echidna?

Not one person in work with me has seen an echidna here in Brisbane, which surprised me since lot of them are Aussie born ( they've only seen them in zoos , and outside Brisbane dead on the roads ) , but they are living in your average new "built up estates" and don't have much wildlife around their homes - depends where you live regarding wildlife.
We've seen quite a few echidnas on our trips out of Perth, usually in the road.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:13 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

here in Oz it's a kind of slice that you might have with tea. It has a biscuit base, chocolate and nuts of some sort. Not sure on the other ingredients.....
Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Just a note to all of you. Should you find a dead kangaroo lying next to the road and obviously not days old, please have a quick look in the pouch for any joeys and call the number that you find all along the roads for wildlife rescues. The joeys can last a day or two in the pouch, weather permitting and can be successfully hand-reared. Unfortunately many die in the pouch because people don't realise that when they hit a kangaroo they often commit mass murder.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:20 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I got two in my garden, kids love em....
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by banjo
here in Oz it's a kind of slice that you might have with tea. It has a biscuit base, chocolate and nuts of some sort. Not sure on the other ingredients.....

Yes! I love that stuff. Up north when I was a kid we used to call it tiffin, I've heard people call it refridgerator cake to..mmmmmm
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:38 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by banjo
It's also a kind of rissole made with the inclusion of uncooked rice and boiled in a tin of Heinz Tomato Soup!
The rice is drawn to the liquid and comes to the surface, sticking out of the meat like spines.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:44 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Its an animal that when crossing the road in the dark and sees two lights coming towards it stands in the middle of the road and hopes that you are not on a trike or 3 wheeler....
Isn't it...