Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats happening to exchange rate?

Whats happening to exchange rate?

Old Mar 19th 2006, 1:55 pm
Sarrob

Default Whats happening to exchange rate?

I was told by HIFX that the exchange rate would not get to 2.40 again.It is 2.415 at the moment what does the future hold up or down??

Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all
Default Re: Whats happening to exchange rate?

Originally Posted by Sarrob
I was told by HIFX that the exchange rate would not get to 2.40 again.It is 2.415 at the moment what does the future hold up or down??
Don't know...but obviously don't ask HIFX
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:33 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sarrob
Ah but that is only if you are changing over 50k (we have 48k), the rate for less than this will only be given to you over the phone. We didn't know this until we went to change our money and were told that it is and idicative rate only. We eventually change our money with Commonwealth who gave us a better rate than HIFX.
This could all be different now, but I don't think it is. Good luck.
Sarah
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:27 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teach
Ah but that is only if you are changing over 50k (we have 48k), the rate for less than this will only be given to you over the phone. We didn't know this until we went to change our money and were told that it is and idicative rate only. We eventually change our money with Commonwealth who gave us a better rate than HIFX.
This could all be different now, but I don't think it is. Good luck.
Sarah
We also got a better rate when we transfered from a virgin one account direct bank to bank. Easier too.

FWIW, If you can get one or have got one a Virgin one account is the bees knees, If you have one and are comming here, ask to keep the account live and this makes all your future uk->Oz->uk transfers much much simpler and they seem geared up for international banking, much better than all our other UK bank accounts and building soc. accounts I might add.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

So does anyone know why it's on the up?

As for Hifx they just want you to change it up that day and if they could predict what was happening they wouldn't be working, they would be sunning themselves on their yacht. They have given us plenty of duff advice in the past which I know to ignore more recently.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone have a link to a website comparing the live exchange rate of the Australian Dollar against other currencies, not just Sterling.
I'd be interested to see if the aussie dollar is sliding against other currencies too.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

It is dropping against a few, I always watch the bbc website.

Originally Posted by migrantoz
Does anyone have a link to a website comparing the live exchange rate of the Australian Dollar against other currencies, not just Sterling.
I'd be interested to see if the aussie dollar is sliding against other currencies too.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:16 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Check out XE.com.

The HIFX site also has various comparison charts, as do most of the other FX dealer sites.

Live mid-market rate 2 minutes ago was $2.4367. Changing their tune from late last Friday, the Bloomberg analysts now reckon that the Aus$ still has some way to fall, which should now guarantee that it makes a full recovery over the next couple of days !!

Regards

Jim
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swaffy
So does anyone know why it's on the up?

As for Hifx they just want you to change it up that day and if they could predict what was happening they wouldn't be working, they would be sunning themselves on their yacht. They have given us plenty of duff advice in the past which I know to ignore more recently.
This may help to explain it:

Australia's official interest rate has remained at 5.5 per cent since a quarter of a percentage point rise in March last year with no change expected in the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, interest rates in other markets are rising or look set to increase soon.

The Bank of Japan recently signalled an end to its five-year experiment with near-zero interest rates while the US Federal Reserve has held its rates at 4.5 per cent after a long run of increases with more rises flagged.

The shrinking interest rate gaps have led investor support away from the Australian currency.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/s...003402,00.html

Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

Have a look at: http://www.ozforex.com.au/cgi-bin/spotrates.asp

Here is the GPB v AUD for last 10 years...
Attached Thumbnails Whats happening to exchange rate?-gbp-v-aud-1996-2006.png  

Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:33 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Australia's official interest rate has remained at 5.5 per cent since a quarter of a percentage point rise in March last year with no change expected in the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, interest rates in other markets are rising or look set to increase soon.

The Bank of Japan recently signalled an end to its five-year experiment with near-zero interest rates while the US Federal Reserve has held its rates at 4.5 per cent after a long run of increases with more rises flagged.

The shrinking interest rate gaps have led investor support away from the Australian currency.

That's just about what Bloombergs have stated today also - as well as it is being dragged down by the very weak NZ diollar..

Jim
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

The article makes good points.

However, what I don't understand is why GBP is strenghtening against AUD $?

In the UK , interest rates haven't done much either since last autumn (when there was a 0.25% decrease), and the consensus outlook for UK interest rates is a 0.25% decrease at some point in summer.

So, I'd understand it if there was specualtion that our interest rates were gonna rise.

Any comments?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
We also got a better rate when we transfered from a virgin one account direct bank to bank. Easier too.

FWIW, If you can get one or have got one a Virgin one account is the bees knees, If you have one and are comming here, ask to keep the account live and this makes all your future uk->Oz->uk transfers much much simpler and they seem geared up for international banking, much better than all our other UK bank accounts and building soc. accounts I might add.
The Nationwide Flexaccount comes highly recommended on this site for charge free transfers, use of plastic card in Oz etc.

OzTennis
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

2.442 now not that I'm watching it or anything...I am aiming at 2.5 and then I will buy.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:03 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone think that the exchange rate will remain this way for some time then considering all other factors?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.