Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats happened to this forum??

Whats happened to this forum??

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:57 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats happened to this forum??

I dunno, you take a few days break from it and come back to find its full of vitriol, most of which seems to be aimed at people who live in Oz. Despite the large number of sensible mature people in Oz who post on here about their lives, issues and concerns they are all getting tarred with some 'negative', 'troll', or 'whinger' brush. What the **** is going on?
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Whats happened to this forum??

Originally posted by jayr
I dunno, you take a few days break from it and come back to find its full of vitriol, most of which seems to be aimed at people who live in Oz. Despite the large number of sensible mature people in Oz who post on here about their lives, issues and concerns they are all getting tarred with some 'negative', 'troll', or 'whinger' brush. What the **** is going on?
I think it might have been my fault Jay...

I made the mistake of asking for an alternative thread listing positive points about Australia...this quickly descended into aslanging match (which wasnt the aim of it) ...

Being a newbie, i made the mistake of thinking that people here could be mature if asked nicely...wasnt to be unfortuantely... so i appologise prefusely.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by podgypossum
I think it might have been my fault Jay...

I made the mistake of asking for an alternative thread listing positive points about Australia...this quickly descended into aslanging match (which wasnt the aim of it) ...

Being a newbie, i made the mistake of thinking that people here could be mature if asked nicely...wasnt to be unfortuantely... so i appologise prefusely.
Oooops..typo!.. that should read "profusely"
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, you take a few days break from it and come back to find its full of vitriol, most of which seems to be aimed at people who live in Oz.
Funny, I live in Oz & I dont see any vitriol aimed at me. Actually, on the contrary, IMO most of it seems to be aimed at anyone in the UK that dares to imply that they might have a better life out here than they do back there or that simply asks for examples of things that you enjoy about living in Australia.

As for "all" the expats being tarred as trolls or whingers or "negative" brush, I dont see that either.

But then maybe you arent reading the same threads as me .
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Well here's some positive points, based on my experiences in Brissy:

Weather - generaly very good a lot like winter which is bright blue sunny skies and 20C daytime. Me I prefer the six month long summer as I hate the cold winter nights in poor insulated houses. A lot don't like the summer too much as its high humidity. Certainly getting out the shower and pouring of sweat isn't great when you've got to go towork.

Beaches - there are some really nice ones and its great going into the water at 23C or more, they are very different to UK beaches in many ways, but that's not denigrate the UK, I love the Northumberland coastline myself

SOuth Bank in Brisbane - which many consider 'touristy' is a great place to go, Bouganvillea in bloom, kids playing on beach, no traffic, good food and 'nice' markets. Great thing to have in the City centre

The river - Brisbane beaches are distant (but worthe trip to SC or even GC) but driving along by the river or taking the City Cat or Kookaburra Queens is really pleasant on a good day

Laid back attitude - took some getting used to but friendliness and laid back style is pleasant (not seen too many friendly cashiers in supermarkets as some suggest however)

Big 'ouses - yes I prefer my large 4 bed house with pool to my small 3 bed in UK - but its not everything and you get used to it quite quickly.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Gutless was another one. That was to so with not showing identity. Privacy should be respected. It is a choice but there are dangers in giving out ones details on a forum.

Signing off

Gutless negative whinging troll
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:19 am
Karma Comedian

I should add that I have no intentions of returning to the UK, I like living here a lot.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Well here's some positive points, based on my experiences in Brissy:

Weather - generaly very good a lot like winter which is bright blue sunny skies and 20C daytime. Me I prefer the six month long summer as I hate the cold winter nights in poor insulated houses. A lot don't like the summer too much as its high humidity. Certainly getting out the shower and pouring of sweat isn't great when you've got to go towork.

Beaches - there are some really nice ones and its great going into the water at 23C or more, they are very different to UK beaches in many ways, but that's not denigrate the UK, I love the Northumberland coastline myself

SOuth Bank in Brisbane - which many consider 'touristy' is a great place to go, Bouganvillea in bloom, kids playing on beach, no traffic, good food and 'nice' markets. Great thing to have in the City centre

The river - Brisbane beaches are distant (but worthe trip to SC or even GC) but driving along by the river or taking the City Cat or Kookaburra Queens is really pleasant on a good day

Laid back attitude - took some getting used to but friendliness and laid back style is pleasant (not seen too many friendly cashiers in supermarkets as some suggest however)

Big 'ouses - yes I prefer my large 4 bed house with pool to my small 3 bed in UK - but its not everything and you get used to it quite quickly.
Thanx Jay... you cheered me up...

ust one hting...should i leve the PVC bondage gear at home..??.i wouldnt want to get a heat rash...

YES....I AM JOKING!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:21 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by bondipom
Gutless was another one. That was to so with not showing identity. Privacy should be respected. It is a choice but there are dangers in giving out ones details on a forum.

Signing off

yeah I didn't get that, I've no desire to be able to be identified simply because of posting on here.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:22 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thanx Jay... you cheered me up...

ust one hting...should i leve the PVC bondage gear at home..??.i wouldnt want to get a heat rash...

YES....I AM JOKING!!!!!!!!

Talcum powder may be called for
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:25 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

yeah I didn't get that, I've no desire to be able to be identified simply because of posting on here.
Noone wanted to know the posters personal details. It was evident that the poster in question was a regular, and i just found it irksome that whoever it was decided to attack somone (just to be clear, i know the guy being "attacked" was being confrontational), using a different username. That, in my opinion, IS cowardly.

If we all just changed our names and started slagging each other off it would get barmey in here. Far more sensible to keep one username and use that one to slag everyone off

Unless you are talking about a different thread that is......
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:26 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by bondipom

Signing off

BP, I always thought your comments were either enlightening or entertaining, and I was suprised to see Owieb being attacked too along with others. I suspect a lot is being aimed at Dotty but she seems to have made a great success of her life and has the sort of sense of humour that is needed by any immigrant to a new country.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:27 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by PeteY

If we all just changed our names and started slagging each other off it would get barmey in here. Far more sensible to keep one username and use that one to slag everyone off

Unless you are talking about a different thread that is......

Agreed, had enough guessing games in the past, though I couldn't recognise the style of the one supposed to be using a new name - anyone want to fill me in??
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

BP, I always thought your comments were either enlightening or entertaining, and I was suprised to see Owieb being attacked too along with others. I suspect a lot is being aimed at Dotty but she seems to have made a great success of her life and has the sort of sense of humour that is needed by any immigrant to a new country.
You MUST have been reading different threads to me!! Where were owieb & bondi being attacked, cos I think they generally post very good points about living here!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:36 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
You MUST have been reading different threads to me!! Where were owieb & bondi being attacked, cos I think they generally post very good points about living here!

I read a whole bunch of threads this morning, perhaps I have a few mixed up, will look again later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.