British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   whats a fair wage in Queensland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-fair-wage-queensland-416778/)

sheli0508 Jan 4th 2007 12:57 am

whats a fair wage in Queensland

Hi:)

First time user here so I hope the format is OK - tried other sites and was recommended to this one, as it is the best for advice, so I thought I'd give it a go!

We (me, husband + 3 children) have just started the process to move out to Queensland. TRA went in before christmas - just pulling everything together to try and get the visa in before the end of Jan.

Mitchell, is a maintence engineer/fitter and we just want to get an idea of what is a liveable wage. we will have a very small mortgage (under 30ish based on the house prices we have seen and the equity we are hoping to bring over) and hopefully I won't have to go back to work until the children are settled and the youngest is at full time school........

Is it doable on 1 wage?

It's just difficult to get ideas of living costs so that we can balance them against potential salaries.....

So, if anyonce is happy to share there household bill expenditure with me I will be really grateful... thanks in advance

ta very much ;)

Shelley

claire edwards Jan 4th 2007 1:20 am

Re: whats a fair wage in Queensland

Hi Shelly and Welcome!!!

First point of call would be to have a look at this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385198

you might want to look at seek.com.au to get an idea of different salaries - however a lot of companies don't advertise the salary and a lot of recruitment agencies will inflate the annual wage to attract more candidates.

I would start with the link above to get an idea.

Let us know how you get on with your visa process.....good luck!

tin Jan 4th 2007 7:16 am

Originally Posted by sheli0508 (Post 4247709)

First time user here so I hope the format is OK - tried other sites and was recommended to this one, as it is the best for advice, so I thought I'd give it a go!

We (me, husband + 3 children) have just started the process to move out to Queensland. TRA went in before christmas - just pulling everything together to try and get the visa in before the end of Jan.

Mitchell, is a maintence engineer/fitter and we just want to get an idea of what is a liveable wage. we will have a very small mortgage (under 30ish based on the house prices we have seen and the equity we are hoping to bring over) and hopefully I won't have to go back to work until the children are settled and the youngest is at full time school........

Is it doable on 1 wage?

It's just difficult to get ideas of living costs so that we can balance them against potential salaries.....

So, if anyonce is happy to share there household bill expenditure with me I will be really grateful... thanks in advance

ta very much ;)

Shelley

Well we as a family of 3 are living on $75k comfortably and that includes $350/week rent. We are fairly careful with money and are managing to save between 500-1000 a month. For more info on costs have a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410327

Cheers
Martyn

fox's2oz Jan 4th 2007 8:40 am

It depends on where in Queensland you want to live.Wages in Brissie tend to be higher than here on the Sunshine coast.

The Bloke Jan 4th 2007 10:00 am

Originally Posted by sheli0508 (Post 4247709)

Visa in less than 1 month in January......would be amazed if it manages to get it processed that quick.
Most people aren't back from holidays until at least the middle of the month and that includes DIMIA.

Tweenies Jan 4th 2007 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 4248286)
Visa in less than 1 month in January......would be amazed if it manages to get it processed that quick.
Most people aren't back from holidays until at least the middle of the month and that includes DIMIA.

I think they were meaning they wanted to get their application put in for the visa before the end of january not have it by the end of January ??
That is how i read it anyhow :)

sheli0508 Jan 5th 2007 11:00 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 4248286)

Sorry - I meant mail it to OZ - but I get what you mean about nobody being there 'till the middle of the month - I've been trying to get hold of the migration firm to clarify a couple of bits before we can submit it - and nobody's replying!!!

Anyway, thanks for the posts - they've helped tons

many thanks,:D

Shelley

fluffy1 Jan 5th 2007 10:23 pm

Hi Shelley,

Not sure what wage your husband would be on but we are a family of four living on the Gold Coast. We are living comfortably on one wage and dont get anywhere near the majority of threads we have read on here over the past few months. It all depends on what you like doing and what you spend your money on.

We manage to get out every weekend as a family, seeing new places, we dont buy designer clothes and dont have expensive hobbies so what we bring in suits us. Our rent is $310 per week and our fridge is always stocked with beer.

Good luck with your visa process
Marie

sheli0508 Jan 6th 2007 9:27 am

Thanks Marie.

That's all we're looking for.

cheers,

Shelley

smiths Jan 8th 2007 12:33 pm

Not surprised about lack of response - the whole of Australia seems to go on annual leave from mid December to mid January.

That said, most people who I work with started back to work today (8th Jan), so you might get more of a response from now on.

Best of luck

Smiths

paulhill Jan 8th 2007 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by fluffy1 (Post 4253353)
Hi Shelley,

Not sure what wage your husband would be on but we are a family of four living on the Gold Coast. We are living comfortably on one wage and dont get anywhere near the majority of threads we have read on here over the past few months. It all depends on what you like doing and what you spend your money on.

We manage to get out every weekend as a family, seeing new places, we dont buy designer clothes and dont have expensive hobbies so what we bring in suits us. Our rent is $310 per week and our fridge is always stocked with beer.

Good luck with your visa process
Marie

Brilliant thread - thats what we are going for a better family life not necessary more money. We will be arriving on the Gold Coast 11th February, good luck and take care Sue