Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats a fair wage in Queensland

whats a fair wage in Queensland

Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default whats a fair wage in Queensland

Hi

First time user here so I hope the format is OK - tried other sites and was recommended to this one, as it is the best for advice, so I thought I'd give it a go!

We (me, husband + 3 children) have just started the process to move out to Queensland. TRA went in before christmas - just pulling everything together to try and get the visa in before the end of Jan.

Mitchell, is a maintence engineer/fitter and we just want to get an idea of what is a liveable wage. we will have a very small mortgage (under 30ish based on the house prices we have seen and the equity we are hoping to bring over) and hopefully I won't have to go back to work until the children are settled and the youngest is at full time school........

Is it doable on 1 wage?

It's just difficult to get ideas of living costs so that we can balance them against potential salaries.....

So, if anyonce is happy to share there household bill expenditure with me I will be really grateful... thanks in advance

ta very much

Shelley
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:20 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: whats a fair wage in Queensland

Hi Shelly and Welcome!!!

First point of call would be to have a look at this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385198

you might want to look at seek.com.au to get an idea of different salaries - however a lot of companies don't advertise the salary and a lot of recruitment agencies will inflate the annual wage to attract more candidates.

I would start with the link above to get an idea.

Let us know how you get on with your visa process.....good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:16 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Hi

First time user here so I hope the format is OK - tried other sites and was recommended to this one, as it is the best for advice, so I thought I'd give it a go!

We (me, husband + 3 children) have just started the process to move out to Queensland. TRA went in before christmas - just pulling everything together to try and get the visa in before the end of Jan.

Mitchell, is a maintence engineer/fitter and we just want to get an idea of what is a liveable wage. we will have a very small mortgage (under 30ish based on the house prices we have seen and the equity we are hoping to bring over) and hopefully I won't have to go back to work until the children are settled and the youngest is at full time school........

Is it doable on 1 wage?

It's just difficult to get ideas of living costs so that we can balance them against potential salaries.....

So, if anyonce is happy to share there household bill expenditure with me I will be really grateful... thanks in advance

ta very much

Shelley
Well we as a family of 3 are living on $75k comfortably and that includes $350/week rent. We are fairly careful with money and are managing to save between 500-1000 a month. For more info on costs have a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410327

Cheers
Martyn
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

It depends on where in Queensland you want to live.Wages in Brissie tend to be higher than here on the Sunshine coast.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 10:00 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Hi

Visa in less than 1 month in January......would be amazed if it manages to get it processed that quick.
Most people aren't back from holidays until at least the middle of the month and that includes DIMIA.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Visa in less than 1 month in January......would be amazed if it manages to get it processed that quick.
Most people aren't back from holidays until at least the middle of the month and that includes DIMIA.

I think they were meaning they wanted to get their application put in for the visa before the end of january not have it by the end of January ??
That is how i read it anyhow
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Sorry - I meant mail it to OZ - but I get what you mean about nobody being there 'till the middle of the month - I've been trying to get hold of the migration firm to clarify a couple of bits before we can submit it - and nobody's replying!!!

Anyway, thanks for the posts - they've helped tons

many thanks,

Shelley
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Hi Shelley,

Not sure what wage your husband would be on but we are a family of four living on the Gold Coast. We are living comfortably on one wage and dont get anywhere near the majority of threads we have read on here over the past few months. It all depends on what you like doing and what you spend your money on.

We manage to get out every weekend as a family, seeing new places, we dont buy designer clothes and dont have expensive hobbies so what we bring in suits us. Our rent is $310 per week and our fridge is always stocked with beer.

Good luck with your visa process
Marie
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Marie.

That's all we're looking for.

cheers,

Shelley
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Not surprised about lack of response - the whole of Australia seems to go on annual leave from mid December to mid January.

That said, most people who I work with started back to work today (8th Jan), so you might get more of a response from now on.

Best of luck

Smiths
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by fluffy1
Hi Shelley,

Not sure what wage your husband would be on but we are a family of four living on the Gold Coast. We are living comfortably on one wage and dont get anywhere near the majority of threads we have read on here over the past few months. It all depends on what you like doing and what you spend your money on.

We manage to get out every weekend as a family, seeing new places, we dont buy designer clothes and dont have expensive hobbies so what we bring in suits us. Our rent is $310 per week and our fridge is always stocked with beer.

Good luck with your visa process
Marie

Brilliant thread - thats what we are going for a better family life not necessary more money. We will be arriving on the Gold Coast 11th February, good luck and take care Sue