Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's in it for the expats?

What's in it for the expats?

Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:27 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
This isn't Wilfs forum.
If you need some help, or just need everyones view on things, post it on here. I don't mind, as this was where I have had all my queries and doubts answered.

Whisky

thanks whisky

will keep going till i really get on someones nerves
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

paul & michele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's in it for the expats?

WILF, We for one would just like to thank you for your advice you have kindly responded to one of our questions. We don't very often post but when we do we get peace of mind because we know that we are getting an honest response because you are out there and know what is going on.

We think that this time we feel we should repond as we will be sorry to see you go. We find alot of what you say makes sense to me, you have to go out there with the right attitude and not be looking throu rose coloured glasses, most places have their problems no where is perfect.

We will be sorry to see you go, my partner and I are novices and are putting a case together for an assessment with the AIM for Supply and Distribution Manager and are sometimes finding this hard but would still love to have a crack at life in aus.

We hope that you continue to post on here as we feel that the information we get from you is straight down the line and of massive benefit to us.
Michele&Paul
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:52 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Sorry, just foolishly carrying on the tedious vein of posting smilies, really nothing personal, was only being jovial, retracted if misinterpreted.

Regards
me too...

:scared:

This is a night out on the town...and the morning after...

Any others?
Old Aug 24th 2003, 10:15 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: What's in it for the expats?

Originally posted by Wilf
I am sure you are just being kind to an old duffer but it is much appreciated anyway.

I suppose I am just a bit tired of tolerating the stuff from the immos-to-be but not being tolerated myself and seeing very decent people (not me, obviously) attacked for daring to post that they have suffered crime or are not happy with the move. After a while, it gets very nauseating to see people attacked for just saying what they see here in Oz and when I or someone else says that they should not be attacked, it is all "Oh no, we appreciate negative posts, it's just the way they do it that offends us," as if we expats have to please the poms with our style as well as our content. Well, I am tired of it. It has to work both ways, and I also like a laugh in my own way without it being dictated to me how I should enjoy myself.

Honestly, if the forum were full of people like you who obviously understand my wanting to discuss in my own way and have a laugh while I am at it then I would never feel the need to bugger off, but it is not like that here. Take Ceri and dotty for example. These are both people who I have had "conflicts" with in the past, but I do not detect a sense of grudge from them and I have come to have a lot of respect for them. Seeing dotty under attack the other day from a bunch of tossers who have no idea what they are on about (I think phrases like "parasitic old ****" were used) was one of the final straws for me. Is it not clear that she has much to say of use and so what if someone does not like her style or sense of humour - are they so intolerant they cannot stand anyone different to themselves? A lot of people on here are obviously (to me, anyway) playing it up a bit and having a laugh whilst giving info and so what? It is only a harmless forum.

I am leaving the forum to the racists, the people who start threads like "Crap is...", "PB is a wanker" or "Ban wilf", the people who call women tarts, and all the people who seem to hate the UK, the land that gave them life and wealth enough to emigrate in the first place. Trouble is, there are also a whole lot of decent, intelligent people here too, and I hope they continue to get something out of the forum apart from votes to ban them when they say that Oz is less than they had hoped.

Thanks for the good wishes ACE and you will probably find yourself attacked by some gutless twerp in the future for it so well done for not being intimidated.

All the best, Wilf
I thought you were thicker skinned than this Wilfo.
I do agree that there should not be any blatant profanity within these personal attacks though, that is below the belt...just not cricket old chap.
I for one, get fed up with talking about Aus all the time, so a bit of digression or humour is welcomed by me.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

cam the man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by appletree
Good riddance Wilf.
I think that some common decency and tolerance would go down well on this forum.
Everybody - no matter their views deserves respect.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 10:55 pm
Not here

Originally posted by cam the man
I think that some common decency and tolerance would go down well on this forum.
Everybody - no matter their views deserves respect.
What does Dr Phil say...

Fighting Fair

How you argue — especially how you end an argument — can determine the long-term success or failure of your relationship.

A primary requirement for any fight is to maintain control. You do not have the license to be childish, abusive or immature. If you have legitimate feelings, you are entitled to give a reasonable voice to those feelings in a constructive way. (That includes not being self-righteous or taking yourself too seriously.)

Here are Dr. Phil's specific rules for fighting fair.

Take it private and keep it private. Fighting in front of your children is nothing short of child abuse. It can and will scar them emotionally — all because you don't have the self-control to contain yourself until you can talk privately.

Keep it relevant. Don't bring up old grudges or sore points when they don't belong in a particular argument. Put boundaries down around the subject matter so that a fight doesn't deteriorate into a free-for-all.

Keep it real. Deal with what really is at issue, not with a symptom of the problem. Get real about what is bothering you, or you will come away from the exchange even more frustrated.

Avoid character assassination. Stay focused on the issue, rather than deteriorating to the point of attacking your partner personally. Don't let the fight degenerate into name-calling.

Remain task-oriented. Know what you want going into the disagreement. If you don't have a goal in mind, you won't know when you've achieved it.

Allow for your partner to retreat with dignity. How an argument ends is crucial. Recognize when an olive branch is being extended to you (perhaps in the form of an apology or a joke), and give your partner a face-saving way out of the disagreement.

Be proportional in your intensity. Every single thing you disagree about is not an earth-shattering event or issue. You do not have to get mad every time you have a right to be.

There's a time limit. Arguments should be temporary, so don't let them get out of hand. Don't allow the ugliness of an argument to stretch on indefinitely.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 10:59 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Florida_03
What does Dr Phil say...

Fighting Fair

How you argue — especially how you end an argument — can determine the long-term success or failure of your relationship.

A primary requirement for any fight is to maintain control. You do not have the license to be childish, abusive or immature. If you have legitimate feelings, you are entitled to give a reasonable voice to those feelings in a constructive way. (That includes not being self-righteous or taking yourself too seriously.)

Take it private and keep it private. Fighting in front of your children is nothing short of child abuse. It can and will scar them emotionally — all because you don't have the self-control to contain yourself until you can talk privately.

Keep it relevant. Don't bring up old grudges or sore points when they don't belong in a particular argument. Put boundaries down around the subject matter so that a fight doesn't deteriorate into a free-for-all.

Keep it real. Deal with what really is at issue, not with a symptom of the problem. Get real about what is bothering you, or you will come away from the exchange even more frustrated.

Avoid character assassination. Stay focused on the issue, rather than deteriorating to the point of attacking your partner personally. Don't let the fight degenerate into name-calling.

Remain task-oriented. Know what you want going into the disagreement. If you don't have a goal in mind, you won't know when you've achieved it.

Allow for your partner to retreat with dignity. How an argument ends is crucial. Recognize when an olive branch is being extended to you (perhaps in the form of an apology or a joke), and give your partner a face-saving way out of the disagreement.

Be proportional in your intensity. Every single thing you disagree about is not an earth-shattering event or issue. You do not have to get mad every time you have a right to be.

There's a time limit. Arguments should be temporary, so don't let them get out of hand. Don't allow the ugliness of an argument to stretch on indefinitely.
A very good metaphysicalization!

Shorten to: Don't whinge.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:01 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

What does Dr Phil say...

Fighting Fair

You've talked a lot here florida, but you have said something, well done mate.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:13 pm
Not here

Originally posted by chippy
You've talked a lot here florida, but you have said something, well done mate.
Sorry one of those body snatchers had me for a moment...

Joan was quizzical, studied metaphysical
Science in the home
Late nights all alone with a test-tube
Ohh-oh-oh-oh...
Maxwell Edison majoring in medicine
Calls her on the phone
"Can I take you out to the pictures
Joa-oa-oa-oan?"
But as she's getting ready to go
A knock comes on the door...

Bang, bang, Maxwell's silver hammer
Came down upon her head
Made sure that she was dead

Back in school again Maxwell plays the fool again
Teacher gets annoyed
Wishing to avoid an unpleasant sce-e-e-ene
She tells Max to stay when the class has gone away
So he waits behind
Writing 50 times "I must not be so-o-o-oo..."
But when she turns her back on the boy
He creeps up from behind

Came down upon her head

P.C. Thirty-One said "we caught a dirty one"
Maxwell stands alone
Painting testimonial pictures ohh-oh-oh-oh
Rose and Valerie screaming from the gallery
Say he must go free (Maxwell must go free)
The judge does not agree and he tells them so-o-o-oo
But as the words are leaving his lips
A noise comes from behind

Came down upon his head
Bang, Bang, Maxwell's silver hammer
Made sure that he was dead

Now anyone who can name the drug used in the production of this song will win free transporation to Port Arthur, in sunny Tasmania.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:17 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Sorry one of those body snatchers had me for a moment...

Joan was quizzical, studied metaphysical
Science in the home
Late nights all alone with a test-tube
Ohh-oh-oh-oh...
Maxwell Edison majoring in medicine
Calls her on the phone
"Can I take you out to the pictures
Joa-oa-oa-oan?"
But as she's getting ready to go
A knock comes on the door...

Came down upon her head

Back in school again Maxwell plays the fool again
Teacher gets annoyed
Wishing to avoid an unpleasant sce-e-e-ene
She tells Max to stay when the class has gone away
So he waits behind
Writing 50 times "I must not be so-o-o-oo..."
But when she turns her back on the boy
He creeps up from behind

Came down upon her head

P.C. Thirty-One said "we caught a dirty one"
Maxwell stands alone
Painting testimonial pictures ohh-oh-oh-oh
Rose and Valerie screaming from the gallery
Say he must go free (Maxwell must go free)
The judge does not agree and he tells them so-o-o-oo
But as the words are leaving his lips
A noise comes from behind

Came down upon his head
Bang, Bang, Maxwell's silver hammer
Made sure that he was dead

Now anyone who can name the drug used in the production of this song will win free transporation to Port Arthur, in sunny Tasmania.
And a bloody good satisfying flogging with a carpenters silver plated hammer. Whinge and we'll let you do it once more with feeling.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:21 pm
Not here

bang...ouch...
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:23 pm
Not here

bang...ouch...
bang...ouch...
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:24 pm
Not here

bang...ouch...
bang...ouch..
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:47 pm
I'm lovin' it

bang...ouch..
Port Arthur?...Drugs?...Silver plated hammers?...Body Snatchers?...

The punters will think this is a proper ex-pat forum if you two carry this on. I shall be consulting my physician post-haste.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:57 pm
I'm lovin' it

Excuse me, Excuse me
Get right out of the way
Quiet!

I'm sorry, Beg your pardon
The fault's entirely yours
Quiet!

Your Highness
Your Worship
You silly pompous ass
Quiet!

Quiet! You're making such a racket
Quiet! Why must you be so loud?
Quiet! It's costing me a packet
Quiet! Persistant louts and clowns

Hello there, How are you?
Pee off!
Quiet!

Look, honest? Really?
Lies
Quiet!

How lovely! How charming!
Horrible
Quiet!

Quiet! Or else there will be measures
Quiet! Stop this unholy row
Quiet! Shut up, you little treasures
Quiet! When you've been told, and how

Alright little chap
Get back on mummy's lap
There may well be chastisements if you don't shut your trap
Just sit quite still
fold arms, face front

Quiet! You're making such a din din
Quiet! Why don't you please keep quiet?
Quiet! No one else is listening
Quiet! Utterly sick and tired

Quiet!

Sh, sh, sh, sh...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.