Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's in it for the expats?

Wikiposts

What's in it for the expats?

Old Aug 24th 2003, 12:39 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with DianeOz. For those of us sat at work in Oz feeling a bit bored this forum is a great way of passing some time. I suspect that views of Oz are shared quite widely amongst those here, including the likes of me and DianeOz who are in no rush to go back to Blighty yet (though a visit to the pub and M&S wouldn't go amiss).

With the passing of PB, this forum will be in danger of losing some of it appeal, I think those of us in Oz who take some beenfit from it will have to try and up our postings a bit to maintain our own interest otherwise it will be left only to threads about house sales and UK meet ups.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's in it for the expats?

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Wilfiepops - Out of everyone on this forum, you have been here longest and surley must have the most knowledge of Australia and a lot of people out there really appreciate the advice and points of view you give although it is the ones who don't who make their opinions known. Just look at the response PB when he departed, I bet he was quite gobsmacked for once.

I know what you mean about the "whats in it for us" thing, and a lot of expats have given up posting because of the tyranny of comments that are hurled back. It is an "expats" site after all and from that name I take it as a medium for the people already here to vent their spleen and share their troubles and opinions, just as the people waiting to make the move take the support from others on the site rejoicing or commiserating with them every step of the way.

At the end of the day we all have the same goal, to have a happy and healthy life in Australia/NZ and surely we can all be entitled to our own opinions and offer advice as seen fit.

I think it is viewed that we only post because we have nothing else to do and are not happy. Most people I know here who have moved are happy with their desicion (us included) and post because we realise what an enormous thing this is and having come through it still in once piece, post to prepare you for things that we had not thought about before our move. Also a lot of us post at work (yes Aussie jobs are boring) and it brightens up our day to have a bit of banter with the old Brits.

Apologies for rambling on but we cannot lose any more valuable posters from this site.

Diane

I am sure you are right Diane, and I am being a silly old sod, but I think I am just fed up with it.

Cheerio Diane and allow me to say that I think you are a very nice person and a great loss to the UK should you never go back.

Wilf - UK soon, God willing.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Agree with DianeOz. For those of us sat at work in Oz feeling a bit bored this forum is a great way of passing some time. I suspect that views of Oz are shared quite widely amongst those here, including the likes of me and DianeOz who are in no rush to go back to Blighty yet (though a visit to the pub and M&S wouldn't go amiss).

With the passing of PB, this forum will be in danger of losing some of it appeal, I think those of us in Oz who take some beenfit from it will have to try and up our postings a bit to maintain our own interest otherwise it will be left only to threads about house sales and UK meet ups.

All the best, jayr. You impress me with your open-minded, kind-hearted approach to the world.

Wilf
Old Aug 24th 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bobbi is an unknown quantity at this point

Only been following this forum for a few weeks as the migration idea is a very new one to us but I have read all the posts with interest and I feel it is great to see so many different opinions and views from those that have already taken the step.

I have had a few eye-openers for sure, but that can only be good. Surely it's better to take the plunge with as many facts and insights as possible? In my experience of forums there is always a lot of banter going on, that's partly why they can be so addictive and entertaining. Admittedly, sometimes thing get a bit heated with personal insults thrown etc, but that's what the moderators are there for.

Who knows if our family will ever go through with the big move, but at least we will have had the help and advice of others who have been before us, and had information to enable us to weigh up the pro's and cons.

Everybody is different and we all have our own ideals. If we all thought and felt the same about everything we would live in a boring world. I think it's sad that someone feels they have to leave an online community like this just for being honest.

Bobbi
Old Aug 24th 2003, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Wilf, I can really relate to your posts and you have re-assured me about our decision to stay in Australia for a few years then return to the UK. You are more than 'qualified' to comment on the pros and cons of living in Australia.

I think Australia can be a very good move for some people, we have made good friends with people from Northern Ireland and for them I think this is a better place for them to bring up their children, away from the troubles. Although the NI peace process has been negotiated, unlying troubles are still there (anyway that's another debate!).

Think about having a break from the forum and return, I always find small doses of the forum are best!

By the way are you returning to good old Blighty?
Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:08 pm
Keelie

Wilf..I hope you reconsider... you are a good levelling influence here.

Although we went out to Australia ostensibly to visit one of our sons who is working there, we also wanted to look at the country with a view to possible future retirement .
I want to say straight off... Australia is no third-world country.
It has much beauty, and the people whom we encountered along the way treated us with courtesy and kindness.

However it didn't take very long to gain a new appreciation for Canada, and we were very happy to be back home ! (I'm a Brit expat)

In our opinion we have a better quality of life here...more choices in everything, food,shopping, clothing,housing etc.,...it's less expensive, we've better medical care, higher salaries and lower cost of living..and on and on.

Too, the accessibilty of the N.American continent and Europe etc., with affordable airfares, offers the opportunity for travel during the coldest of the winter months.
In many ways we felt as though we were in a time-warp...( not in Sydney).
We felt that many business-people were getting away with stuff that would not be tolerated in Canada or the U.S.
It may have been my perception, but I felt that Australia was a more materialistic society that ours, and that's saying something!
To the future immigrants...this is just an opinion, and should be treated as such, Oz.may be everything you hoped and dreamed it would be, I sincerely hope so.
Keelie.

Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:24 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: What's in it for the expats?

I wouldn't let "them" get to you if I was you, I think it's only some spotty little idiot(S) sitting behind a computer screen.

.Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, it would be a boring old world if everyone agreed with everyone else. But, I do think it does get a bit stupid when people start posting threads to single out an individual. I do think that is malicious and immature and I actually thought it was also against forum rules... to single out (start a thread) an individual for the purpose of attacking them. Threads have been wiped off here in the past because of this as you probably know. The one when PB said something about a certain agent was one which got wiped off because it was said to be an attack on a member. Different rules for different people I suppose.

I wouldn't let them annoy you if I were you .. harder said than done sometimes I suppose.

Cheers
Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

"What's in it for the expats?"

I keep coming back to the forum because I found it an interesting source of information when we were just starting out and found it just as useful as the books we purchased, the emigration shows we attended etc. Now I feel I would like to give something back, knowing what it's like to go through the process, have all the guilty feelings, etc. There are some things here that aren't that different to the UK, crime, drunk-drivers etc. but most "negative" things are balanced by "positive" ones. Don't go, Wilf, it's important to hear everyone's views on life over here, whether good or bad, to get a balanced perspective. Even for us Brits already over here, it's still good to hear about other people's little niggles, usually it's something we can relate to. Nobody is ever going to have a perfect life anyway, even those people that win the lottery never seem to find real contentment. All those reading this forum and taking on board the good points as well as the bad ones, will hopefully be better prepared for all the "worst" things to happen and will be able to look forward to their new lives here.

Of all the Brits living here that do return to post on this forum, I wonder how long they have been living in Oz/NZ? They say the first two years here is the hardest, the stress of moving, as well as getting used to everything that's different, missing your friends and relatives. After a couple of years things must feel more "normal" and as the memory becomes blurred, many things from the UK won't be missed half as much, I'm sure. Also in that time hopefully most of us will have made many new friends. Do most of the negative and nasty comments come from those expats that haven't been in their new country very long and are still suffering from all the stresses of such a big move? Or maybe they've been here years and still aren't happy, but they left the UK in the first place because they weren't happy there either, so whatever it is in life they're looking for, they will probably never find it?
Old Aug 24th 2003, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

appletree is an unknown quantity at this point

Good riddance Wilf.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 5:02 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by appletree
Good riddance Wilf.

At least he posted something to read, your recent contributions seem to have consisted of:

or

or some UK news article published last year. Harldy the stuff to keep a forum running.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 5:09 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Crikey!! Without this forum I would be
1. On the beach.
2. Learning to Scuba dive.
3. Learning to surf.
4. Walking in the fresh Aussie air.
5. Playing on one of the many thousand parks, with my children.
6. Having a barbie.
7. learning to kite surf!?
8. Join the Parents association at my daughters school.
9. Play netball for the county.
10. Play hockey for W.A
11. Go power walking.
12. Go 'off roading'.
13. There's got to be a 13???

With so much to do during the day no wonder Wilf won't be on here anymore and who can blame him!????

Don't leave us Wilf, there aren't many of us left now!?
Old Aug 24th 2003, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

At least he posted something to read, your recent contributions seem to have consisted of:

or

or some UK news article published last year. Harldy the stuff to keep a forum running.
whenever I see a post from jayr, the words "incredibly boring personality" spring to mind.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 5:25 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by appletree
whenever I see a post from jayr, the words "incredibly boring personality" spring to mind.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Old Aug 24th 2003, 5:28 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

This witty banter must stop!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.