Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's everyone doing about insurance??

What's everyone doing about insurance??

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:44 pm
earlswood

Default What's everyone doing about insurance??

Hi guys,

As we leave in 10 weeks

I have most things under control, but can't seem to get a good quote for insurance to cover the journey and when we arrive until we can get life insurance sorted.

I looked at Carrianes thread from last year but the company she recommended want £1,200 for one month!!!!!

Surely I can get better than that?? A lot of travel ins companies don't want to know when you tell them you are emmigrating

Anita x

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's everyone doing about insurance??

Hi Anita,
don't know the answer but thought i would bump it to the top for you
Rach x
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

WRT Travel insurance. It normally expires after a constant set period out the country. i.e. 3 weeks. If you go back to the UK within the policy duration, it will however get re-set
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:46 pm
earlswood

Thanks WOS will have a look

And thanks Rach for bumping me up!!

Anita xx

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:54 pm
mickj

Default Re: What's everyone doing about insurance??

Exactly ! Think about it.....its a bit risky for them, and they are scared to take you on, because it can end up costing them loads of wonga. If you haven't got a big family travelling, i'll say take your chances, most successful people in life do

Originally posted by earlswood
Hi guys,

A lot of travel ins companies don't want to know when you tell them you are emmigrating

Anita x

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for asking this question Anita just another thing to add to my ever growing list of info.

footie xx
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 2:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

So what sort of insurance are you looking for?

The span of the flight, because your home insurance covered you right up to the day you left? Or if your home insurance is invalid cause you have left/sold home? Personal Insurance on life etc? Holiday Insurance for the period you might spend sightseeing en route?

En Route solutions for some people are usually sorted with an annual year policy, I checked my current one when I moved and they would cover me for my travel over up to the moment I put the key in the door of my temp rental. Next morning we went down the local mall and checked in with NRMA. The minute you turn up in Aus you can sort out personal insurance and contents insurance for rentals, etc. Loads of them!@!

I was lucky to already have a part period annual insurance left, but it might be worth discussing with the insurance companies you are talking to - eg you are going to charge me XXXpounds to emigrate but if I buy a policy to travel to Aus it wil cost me so much less? I agree it is not easy....but check out the search function on this site and there are many others who have different options.

Best of luck

PS Again I would ask what specially do you want insurance on for this short period?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

www.johnwason.co.uk for possessions when you haven't got house contents insurance.
www.insureandgo.com for one-way travel insurance.

Lesley
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

with above, went with insureandgo but that does finish at immigration so just in process of sorting out Oz life insurance etc, will update when have some more details, anyone?

T xx