Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way to exchange my money?

Whats the best way to exchange my money?

Old Feb 8th 2004, 5:31 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default Whats the best way to exchange my money?

Hi again, rarely have the time to compute these days with our move only a few weeks away

We are nearing the time when we need to exchange our English money for Aussie dollars (at least the rates picked up a bit recently) Could anybody please tell me exactly how to do this, is it done via banks in some form of transfer and will we get the current rate of around 2.40 or do you get fleeced and get about 2.30 while the banks cream some off, (we do have an Aussie account btw) There must be a proper way of doing this to get the best rate with the least charges..........unfortunately I dont know what it is. Can anyone advise me please.

Thanks.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we'll be using Halewood FX and I've heard some good reports about them.
They make no charge...I initially thought that sounded dodgy, but it isn't. They buy in such bulk that they make their money on exchange rates.
They offered us 2.42 last week. It costs you nothing to transfer your money, you can do it in different ways and in different stages.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

speckles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the best way to exchange my money?

Originally posted by sandradee
Could anybody please tell me exactly how to do this, is it done via banks in some form of transfer and will we get the current rate of around 2.40 or do you get fleeced and get about 2.30 while the banks cream some off, (we do have an Aussie account btw)
Thanks.
Look at the thread called "currency". Use a foregin exchange company such as ****direct.com. You`ll get the full FOREX rate - not the rate offered by your bank or the local travel agent. Don`t settle for less!
It costs you nothing and you`ll get the best deal.

Regards,
Doug

Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:19 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Halewood International

I would call the Migration Desk at Halewood International on 01753 859 159, and feel able to say that Alan at Go Matilda gave you their details!

Best regards.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the best way to exchange my money?

Hi There

WE fly out next tuesday so I know how you are feeling :-)
We used Halewood last week to send the bulk of ours and will be doing another transaction either today or tomorrow although it has dropped ever so slightly since the end of last week.

You can register on their website and check the rates changing every 10 seconds!!!!!!

We did our first transaction with them on Tuesday, they received our money wednesday pm and by Friday (Oz time - ahead of us) the money had already landed in our Oz bank account.

Highly recommended
Old Feb 9th 2004, 6:25 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to you all..................Halewood it is then.