Reload this Page >

Whats the best exchange rate??

Whats the best exchange rate??

Old Oct 12th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road
Default Whats the best exchange rate??

Hi all,

I'm quite new to site, my family and I are moving to Perth next May all being well.

I've just read the fantastic thread from carinne on "all the info you need part 2" and she says you can get upto $2.90 exchange, is this still the case we will be exchanging about £100,000. Does anyone have an idea the best way to do this, is it forward contract? and what we might expect?

I was calculating our expenses on $2.50, and on 100k this makes a massive difference.(i can just see the swimming pool in the garden now!!)

Cheers folks
Old Oct 12th 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Unfortunately 2.9 is no longer viable! That thread has been recycled for a few months now due to its popularity. Last August 2003 it was 2.9 now it is nearer 2.4. A big difference indeed, almost a 20% drop in value since then.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the best exchange rate??

We have been looking at the rates for the past couple of months and they seem to be around about the 2.4 mark at the moment... a slow progression down from 2.5.
We are also thinking about forward buying and we were advised to use Halewood international.
http://www.hifx.co.uk/
We are currently in the process of registering our details with them

We are hoping to get around 2.5- 2.8 but maybe this is wishful thinking.Like you say it makes quite a difference when you are talking thousands of pounds

Diane& Jeff

Originally posted by brummie bird
Hi all,

I'm quite new to site, my family and I are moving to Perth next May all being well.

I've just read the fantastic thread from carinne on "all the info you need part 2" and she says you can get upto $2.90 exchange, is this still the case we will be exchanging about £100,000. Does anyone have an idea the best way to do this, is it forward contract? and what we might expect?

I was calculating our expenses on $2.50, and on 100k this makes a massive difference.(i can just see the swimming pool in the garden now!!)

Cheers folks
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:23 pm
WBB

2.9 is the holy grail and will most likely not be obtainable in the near future.

would be nice though, the difference could buy my new nissan patrol

Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

all the experts are saying that a decline is more likley and down to 2.3-2.2 in the near future

ive just changed mine at 2.4 and do give your auzie bank a ring because they dont do bad rates
and some times can match or give you a higher rate worth the phone call and less hassle

and y not hedge your money and do half now and half a bit later on, if it goes down you have only lost on half your money and if it goes up then you have made

a bit less risk
Old Oct 13th 2003, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Your Aussie bank may give a comparable rate to Halewood. Ignore the rate on the internet it's about 2 cents below.

Don't forget that they are salesmen and they want you to change your cash so they can get commision. We're all holding off so it's not coming in. There advice is questionable too.
Roger