Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the best car to buy in Aus?

whats the best car to buy in Aus?

Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the best car to buy in Aus?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Is it compulsory to have comprehensive insurance in the UK?

No but it is compulsory to have 3rd party insurance that covers any damage you do to other peoples vehicles and property not just injury to the person.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:34 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: whats the best car to buy in Aus?

Originally Posted by neil248
No but it is compulsory to have 3rd party insurance that covers any damage you do to other peoples vehicles and property not just injury to the person.
Yeah, I realised that when I first went to buy my new rego for the car.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Any reason why you are back here vash?

I am trying to escape lol

lace xx
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:38 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

I am going to raise a few eyebrows here, but I have been in Australia 2 years now and my current Saab 900 Turbo 1991 has been the best car I have ever had. Fully loaded (Cruise/AC/heated seats/sunroof/electric everything/10CD stacker etc) built like a tank (great for aussie conditions) and it has never gone wrong - best of all it cost me $4000. Its the only $4000 car that is faster than 90% of cars on the road (thanks to the turbo) and still turns heads (the paint looks like new). Find them on www.drive.com.au
Cheers
Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:00 am
Just Joined

vhpacer is an unknown quantity at this point

It may take a bit longer, but try and find a Ford Falcon or a Holden Commodore that runs on LPG (liquid petroleum gas, the aussies just call it gas). Powerful, large, very comfortable, and quite safe, and they are still very cheap to run. (running a 4.0 six cylinder falcon on gas would be similar in price to running a 1.3-1.6 four cylinder on petrol)
Old Apr 16th 2006, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Is that really a problem, though? I don't know anyone who's kept a Daewoo for 10 years; in fact, I don't know many people who've kept any sort of car for that long.

Easy as.
Actually, I agree that I haven't seen people I know who keep the car for more than 10 years. I am more concerned with resale value. I can see from the drive.com.au or carsales.com.au that daewoo cars are cheapest among the cheap cars. But if we think that when we want to 'dispose' the car, it will have no value at all. So in effect, the car costs more than other cars like toyota. Though they are more expensive, but resale value is good (comparatively).

Btw, easy to maintain daewoo car means you can bring daewoo car to any repair shop without any problem getting spare parts?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joninoxford
I am going to raise a few eyebrows here, but I have been in Australia 2 years now and my current Saab 900 Turbo 1991 has been the best car I have ever had. Fully loaded (Cruise/AC/heated seats/sunroof/electric everything/10CD stacker etc) built like a tank (great for aussie conditions) and it has never gone wrong - best of all it cost me $4000. Its the only $4000 car that is faster than 90% of cars on the road (thanks to the turbo) and still turns heads (the paint looks like new). Find them on www.drive.com.au
Cheers
I know a couple that drive a beige 1986 Volvo. And you know what. it is a grouse car. I love it.

I love older cars - I hate new ones. Especially European small models from about 1997 - 2001. All bubbles.