British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Whatever u do say no tooo....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whatever-u-do-say-no-tooo-288386/)

biggy Mar 7th 2005 10:08 am

Whatever u do say no tooo.......

..............a friggin Colourbond roof on your house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are in a rental with CB roof....no insulation or bugger all underneath it....................................its pissin with rain and its like bein in a caravan with elephants running over the roof.................its a shocker

BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollyana Mar 7th 2005 10:18 am

Re: Whatever u do say no tooo.......

Originally Posted by biggy

We are in a rental with CB roof....no insulation or bugger all underneath it....................................its pissin with rain and its like bein in a caravan with elephants running over the roof.................its a shocker

Gonna get worse too.....have you seen Cyclone Ingrid...........
:eek:

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQP0005.txt

biggy Mar 7th 2005 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Gonna get worse too.....have you seen Cyclone Ingrid...........
:eek:

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQP0005.txt

yeah been watchin the bitch.......lol

the frame for our house goes up tomorro, it will prolly get blown down.............bugger!!!!

Brissiegirl Mar 7th 2005 1:00 pm

I love the sound of rain on a corrogated iron roof :) it's a sound I grew up with, so I find it soothing... but that's just meeeee!

MrsDagboy Mar 7th 2005 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
I love the sound of rain on a corrogated iron roof :) it's a sound I grew up with, so I find it soothing... but that's just meeeee!

Ditto! The most lovely sound, tiled roofs just arent the same :eek: .

Brissiegirl Mar 7th 2005 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Ditto! The most lovely sound, tiled roofs just arent the same :eek: .

hooray! someone else who loves the sound!!! tiled roof is soo quiet.. I can't ever tell when it's raining.. :(

Lucyemma5 Mar 7th 2005 1:33 pm

hooray! someone else who loves the sound!!! tiled roof is soo quiet.. I can't ever tell when it's raining.. :(

Weirdo!

sophia Mar 7th 2005 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by biggy

When we first arrived here we rented a house with a colourbond roof. We were also astounded at the sound when it rained and I said I would never have one...however, 2 years on and in our own home, I would have to say that I wish we had the colourbond roof now. My aussie mates have colourbond on their roof and have it well insulated...you can still hear the rain but nowhere near as bad as it being uninsulated.

Plus, as they pointed out, during the wild weather (which we tend to get here) you don't have to worry about half your tiles blowing away!! Also someone showed me how easy it is to break into homes here through the roof. Our electrician had to go up into the loft to do some electrical work...did he go through the ceiling hatch??? Nooooo he just took some tiles off the roof and in he popped!! :scared:

If we ever build here, I'm having a colourbond roof!! It's only down to our shoddy landlord who was too tight to put in some insulation that put us off!!

love sophia xx

Brissiegirl Mar 7th 2005 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lucyemma5
Weirdo!

that's me :D probably something to do with growing up on the dry continent, it's great when it does rain.. it's worth knowing about :)

My grandparents had a tiled roof (in Brisbane) and it caused them no-end of problems... much better to have the big sheets of colourbond or similar on the roof...

I also like the noises the roof makes as it heats up and expands on hot days in summer.... :p

JayDeee Mar 7th 2005 2:49 pm

that's me :D probably something to do with growing up on the dry continent, it's great when it does rain.. it's worth knowing about :)

My grandparents had a tiled roof (in Brisbane) and it caused them no-end of problems... much better to have the big sheets of colourbond or similar on the roof...

I also like the noises the roof makes as it heats up and expands on hot days in summer.... :p

I also thought I'd hate it but I love mine it is very well insulated tho but as it never rains here on the odd ocation when it does I wanna know so I can go and stand in it and behave liek a kid seeing snow for the 1st time.

Kala

Brissiegirl Mar 7th 2005 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I also thought I'd hate it but I love mine it is very well insulated tho but as it never rains here on the odd ocation when it does I wanna know so I can go and stand in it and behave liek a kid seeing snow for the 1st time.

Kala

well worth running outside to stand in the few drops that sometimes fall.. :) especially the great big drops.. which stop very quickly sometimes.... I do love the sound of the rain..and the smell too on the parched, cracked earth... lovely.. :p