Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are your reasons for coming to Australia? Points of of 10...

View Poll Results: Australia as a perfect county to live:
0 out of 10
3.57%
1 out of 10
3.57%
2 out of 10
1.19%
3 out of 10
4.76%
4 out of 10
5.95%
5 out of 10
3.57%
6 out of 10
9.52%
7 out of 10
14.29%
8 out of 10
27.38%
9 out of 10
16.67%
10 out of 10
9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

What are your reasons for coming to Australia? Points of of 10...

Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:53 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are your reasons for coming to Australia? Points of of 10...

(BTW, The poll is for those who have already settled in/tried settling in Australia)

I came here for wider spaces, to be closer to nature, lower concentrations of people, better opportunities for my kids, to live in a kinder and more positive society.

I assumed that TV, food, prices, etc would be about the same. Taking the good with the bad, it's not a deal breaker but I reserve the right to complain about and try to improve the things that I consider inferior/wrong here.

Not everything is perfect - not by a long shot but my core wish list has been/will be satisfied. Happy to be here. 8 out of 10

Last edited by paulry; Jun 8th 2011 at 12:00 am.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your reasons for coming to Australia? Points of of 10...

I don't/didn't dislike the UK - it's an okay place, but for me offers an average lifestyle. I came for the pull of Australia.

The reasons why I emigrated:
I didn't want to grow old there
The rat race of SE England/London - commuting, traffic, busyness etc
I generally don't like British kids and didn't want my son to become one

I have much better work prospects in WA than I would have in the UK. I earn more and have a better job.
My son is thriving - that's not to say that he would not be in the UK.
Australia is more expensive than the UK, but overall there is not much in it. The UK is certainly not a cheap country.
I'm not saying that Australia is perfect, far from it, but it is a great place to live.
I have no plans to return to the UK, but you can never say never. Certainly, with the high AUD at the moment and having little debt/mortgage, there are opportunities to sell up here, relocate to another country and virtually retire. The UK would not be my first choice for this though.

8/10 for me.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

As my husband is in the same business as the lovely Amazulu our reasons pretty much echo his. My life here offers 9/10.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We came because we liked Perth. We lay (slightly pissed) on the grass near the river looking at the stars and decided we'd like to live here one day. And 10 years later we do.

Does anyone have a perfect life?

9/10 for me (so far!)
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:33 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
(BTW, The poll is for those who have already settled in/tried settling in Australia)

I came here for wider spaces, to be closer to nature, lower concentrations of people, better opportunities for my kids, to live in a kinder and more positive society.

I assumed that TV, food, prices, etc would be about the same. Taking the good with the bad, it's not a deal breaker but I reserve the right to complain about and try to improve the things that I consider inferior/wrong here.

Not everything is perfect - not by a long shot but my core wish list has been/will be satisfied. Happy to be here. 8 out of 10
I'll give it 8 too, I would imagine there are better places just by virtue of the fact I've not been everywhere, man.

I could live in the UK happily but I'd need a lot more money to maintain the elbow room I've become used to here.

<disclaimer> I've only lived in 2 countries so my opinion really counts for squat.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What are your reasons for coming to Australia? Points of of 10...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't/didn't dislike the UK - it's an okay place, but for me offers an average lifestyle. I came for the pull of Australia.

The reasons why I emigrated:
I didn't want to grow old there
The rat race of SE England/London - commuting, traffic, busyness etc
I generally don't like British kids and didn't want my son to become one

I have much better work prospects in WA than I would have in the UK. I earn more and have a better job.
My son is thriving - that's not to say that he would not be in the UK.
Australia is more expensive than the UK, but overall there is not much in it. The UK is certainly not a cheap country.
I'm not saying that Australia is perfect, far from it, but it is a great place to live.
I have no plans to return to the UK, but you can never say never. Certainly, with the high AUD at the moment and having little debt/mortgage, there are opportunities to sell up here, relocate to another country and virtually retire. The UK would not be my first choice for this though.

8/10 for me.
What Amazulu said (gee I often wonder whether we were separated at birth). But I reckon 9.5/10. The other .5 is missing because I have to go to work instead of having naked big titted blondes rubbing massage oil on me while I lie on the beach.

BB
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I said '7' but it's wrong really. My current issues are bringing me down but they're nothing to do with Aus. Should be 8.5/9
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Miss the green

Miss the rellies

I can always visit... Sure that will satisfy my missings...

Totally agree about the elbow room....
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:34 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Fancied doing something risque after being cossetted in Cornwall for so many years.

I guess it was a thirst for adventure and certainly a desire for space.

Smashing the comfort zone with something new and different and all that.

Yip.
Very happy with the result to date. 8/10
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:54 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

6/10 for me. I'm extremely happy here and I consider myself quite fortunate.

My Australian girlfriend (now wife) was the reason for the move.

I don't think that Australia is perfect or close to it, but it is a great place to live, in my opinion.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
As my husband is in the same business as the lovely Amazulu our reasons pretty much echo his. My life here offers 9/10.
Shouldn't that say "my lovely husband"
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Shouldn't that say "my lovely husband"
Nah he's just the grumpy old git who pays the bills
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:19 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

No country is perfect. Only Allah is perfect. So I went with 9
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:23 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

the wife made me come - honest no joking

but having come and made it our home i`d have to give it a 7 as the experiance has been mostly good,
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
What Amazulu said (gee I often wonder whether we were separated at birth). But I reckon 9.5/10. The other .5 is missing because I have to go to work instead of having naked big titted blondes rubbing massage oil on me while I lie on the beach.

BB
Great minds BB, great minds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.