Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are your plans for equity while exchange rate is dire?!

What are your plans for equity while exchange rate is dire?!

Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:39 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are your plans for equity while exchange rate is dire?!

Hi guys

Just been having a chat with hubby about this one and I was wondering what others had planned who are going out in the near future.

We will hopefully be leaving early December (house sale permitting) and I can't for one minute believe that the exchange rate will improve much before then.

Our plan is to put the equity from the house into a high interest account and trans it when (if) the exchange rate reaches 2.5 ish. The question is though which type of account? We plan to get some independent financial advice on this one but wondered if any of you had any advice?

Much appreciated
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:41 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your plans for equity while exchange rate is dire?!

Ah, just noticed the 'Exchange Rate = Lead Balloon'! I'll have a read through that too and see if I get an info there!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hi guys

Just been having a chat with hubby about this one and I was wondering what others had planned who are going out in the near future.

We will hopefully be leaving early December (house sale permitting) and I can't for one minute believe that the exchange rate will improve much before then.

Our plan is to put the equity from the house into a high interest account and trans it when (if) the exchange rate reaches 2.5 ish. The question is though which type of account? We plan to get some independent financial advice on this one but wondered if any of you had any advice?

Much appreciated
Be aware that you will be liable for Australian tax on any forex gains you make if you decide to transfer any money when the exchange rate is better.
You need to decide if it is worth it or not.
The ATO are particularly interested in any overseas investments held by Australian residents / taxpayers.

G
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
Be aware that you will be liable for Australian tax on any forex gains you make if you decide to transfer any money when the exchange rate is better.
You need to decide if it is worth it or not.
The ATO are particularly interested in any overseas investments held by Australian residents / taxpayers.

G

Thanks for that G - I thought there was a timescale that you could transfer the funds during which you wouldn't be liable for the tax? Is this right or am I talking out of my arse? (nothing new there!!). It wouldn't be a huge amount (compared to some anyway), probably around £55k.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that G - I thought there was a timescale that you could transfer the funds during which you wouldn't be liable for the tax? Is this right or am I talking out of my arse? (nothing new there!!). It wouldn't be a huge amount (compared to some anyway), probably around £55k.
The capital is not taxed.

Tax is paid on any 'profit' made on changes in the exchange rate.

You will probably find that it is worth paying the tax if there is a reasonable upturn in the exchange rates in the near future.

You must always remember that tax is paid on annual earnings so the rate will vary according to your earnings in any one year.

If the exchange rate worsens then you can always claim any losses against tax.

I am no expert so it is probably worth taking expert advice (although that will also cost ).

The sums you are talking about will not be huge.

Good luck

G
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys

Much appreciated

What makes you think the exchange rate is dire? Have a look into the past, take particular interest to the mid 80's!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gjn200
What makes you think the exchange rate is dire? Have a look into the past, take particular interest to the mid 80's!!!!
Agree, you should all check this out before investing in Sterling:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...6&in_page_id=2
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gjn200
I suppose I'm just going off what the exchange rates have been since we started looking into moving to oz - 2.8 down to 2.2 is a huge difference. I certainly see the point you're making though.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Quokka
Agree, you should all check this out before investing in Sterling:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...6&in_page_id=2
Thanks for that - I'll take a look!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:45 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Bugger it! Lets all blow the lot in Vegas en route!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by lucyb

Ah now that idea I love!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lucyb
Count me in too!!