Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are your plans for Christmas day ?

What are your plans for Christmas day ?

Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default What are your plans for Christmas day ?

This will be our first Christmas in Aus and we are unsure as to how to spend it ! The thought of a large roast dinner, does not appeal in the Brissie temperatures but the lure of a Sunshine Coast beach with a portable beach barbie does. The only problem is then we can't drink because we have to drive 90 mins ! We are going to the Barrier Reef the day after Boxing day so we can relax and drink then. I feel we have to spend our first Christmas on
the beach, surfing/bodyboarding... I guess I will just have to drive and let the hubby drink ! Maybe I could strike a bargain, I drive - he does the barbie !
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:29 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What are your plans for Christmas day ?

Originally Posted by surfdude
This will be our first Christmas in Aus and we are unsure as to how to spend it ! The thought of a large roast dinner, does not appeal in the Brissie temperatures but the lure of a Sunshine Coast beach with a portable beach barbie does. The only problem is then we can't drink because we have to drive 90 mins ! We are going to the Barrier Reef the day after Boxing day so we can relax and drink then. I feel we have to spend our first Christmas on
the beach, surfing/bodyboarding... I guess I will just have to drive and let the hubby drink ! Maybe I could strike a bargain, I drive - he does the barbie !

Just remember the sharks love nothing better than a nice surfer or bodyboarder for their Xmas dinner.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:40 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Last year it was 36C on Christmas day; we sat in the pool, drunk beer & ate seafood! This year I think will be the same, and on Boxing Day we're going down towards QLD/NSW border for a couple of lazy days camping at the beach
Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Air con up full, sitting in small unit with Tv blaring and all the curtains shut, MIL not eating cos she is suspicious of my cooking, me not talking cos I keep upsetting her, and the Bloke pacing around turning the air con onto Ice Cold Arctic setting.

Anyone know if the pubs here open Christmas Day....... if not Ye Olde Blacke Crowe Inn could be having its inaugural drinking session in our back yard with me as its sole customer
Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:49 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably spending the morning with family & then the afternoon either on our boat or swimming in our pool & then watching the sunset from the verandah of our new house.

Ohhhh I forgot - cant do that, its all an urban myth .
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

JTL's parents are visiting us from Norn Iron this Christmas, New Year, and Chinese New Year, for 3 months! :scared: They are arriving in 2 weeks and we're still waiting for our furniture.

On Christmas day, we'll be doing a traditional Christmas lunch - roast turkey with the usual trimmings, my homemade mango sorbet and strawberry icecream for dessert. No Christmas puddings because I don't like them and won't allow anyone to have any. If there will be any lychees left, we'll have some too. Please be kind Mr Fruitbat and family.

While the turkey is roasting in the oven, we should all be cooling ourselves in the pool. Oh and most importantly we'll be taste-testing JTL's 3 different homebrews... Wish us luck on that one...

Well that's what I've got planned but don't know if that's what we'll end up with?!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:42 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of electric barbies dotted around the boardwalk at Moololaba free for your use. You just need to get there early to bag one or wait until someone else has finished cooking.
We'll probably be down at the marina having a few beers with mates and cooking up some seafood on the barbie.
We're having at least three weeks off and I'm planning a few dive trips, may head south to find some old friends as well.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Probably spending the morning with family & then the afternoon either on our boat or swimming in our pool & then watching the sunset from the verandah of our new house.

Ohhhh I forgot - cant do that, its all an urban myth .
Hope you'll be wearing some of those nice rose-tinted spectacles!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Its going to be my first Christmas back in Oz for 4 yrs and it ends up its my Sisters year to go to the in-laws

So, will go to my sisters and watch the niece and nephew open up pressies and have our traditional Ham & Eggs brekkie...

Then they will go off for their lunch and the Hubby, my Mum and her Hubby and my 94 yo Nana are booked into a local restaurant for a Buffet lunch.

Will probably all get together at dinner time though for a light dinner and then on Boxing day...we go out to my Brother-in-laws family farm for a pig(their own from the piggery) on the spit and then...if the dams still have water in...an afternoon of yabbying and then an evening of spotlighting!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although we enjoyed Christmas dinner in the sun last year, must admit we couldn't get into the Christmas spirit. We are jetting off to enjoy the drizzle of a Uk Christmas this year... really looking forward to it, won't get the chance for a while again.
BTW, anyone else find aussie Christmas street decorations amusing??? A few bits of tinsel looking lonely on random pylons....

Love Aus though, will have to develop a new attitude to Christmas I suppose
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:06 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

my plans for this year are simple. get up early, get on the bike and ride... not sure where or even what direction but i'm not stopping until either i hit the sea or the desert. ok i'm not that daft, i have a route planned out which should take me about 6 hours maybe longer if i find a few places to stay. gonna head east for the coast then south.

Not having anyone to celebrate christmas with is quite refreshing, so i might as well spend it doing the only thing that matters anything to me eh?

i just wish i could get my head around what to do about presents, do i buy here and post or just spash out on amazon.... i'm not very christmassy this year at all, i just can't be arsed with it.

whatever you all do enjoy it!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:39 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

scutterUK, thats sounds too sad.

Head down to Sydney and mingly with the backpackers.

Trying to book a xmas cruise on the harbour for my christmas dinner.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:40 am
ABCDiamond

Christmas Day will be getting up early, then spend an hour or so opening the presents. Then pop down to the local beach, and see what's going on down there, and maybe have a seafood lunch down there, or go to someone elses house for lunch. The evening will probably be on the Patio with BBQ and more seafood. All nice and relaxed and peaceful

Either that or go away somewhere for that weekend and get waited on hand and foot

Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:54 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

we have an invite for dinner. so it will be coogee beach in the mornin.
then a quick cruise in my boat (its on my list to santa) the off to dinner.
ps hey santa if your reading this, ive been a very very good boy all year. HONEST !!!!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:18 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
we have an invite for dinner. so it will be coogee beach in the mornin.
then a quick cruise in my boat (its on my list to santa) the off to dinner.
ps hey santa if your reading this, ive been a very very good boy all year. HONEST !!!!!!!
he he, we're off to coogee too for breakfast then off to lunch with friends and relatives then by the pool afterwards, something I'm not looking forward to as I'm usually asleep by 5pm

It's our first xmas in oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.