Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is your favourite Aus song?

What is your favourite Aus song?

Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is your favourite Aus song?

Just as a follow up to the thread on favourite book I thought I would start this.

What is your favourite song by an Australian or about Australia?

And PLEASE, don't turn it into he/she/they was born in Scotland or he/she/they came from Wales or her granny was from; and PLEASE don't turn it into British music is better than Aussie music etc, etc, troll, troll.

I honestly can't name just one so here's my starters in no particular order and I'll add some more tomorrow:

Australia - Manic Street Preachers (they're Welsh you know )
Great Southern Land - Icehouse
That's Freedom, You're the Voice, Age of Reason - John Farnham
Leaps and bounds, To her door and many, many others by Paul Kelly
I still call Australia home - Peter Allen (always brings a tear to expat eyes)
Warakurna, Beds, etc Midnight Oil
And the band played waltzing matilda, green fields of France (AKA no man's land) by Eric Bogle (he comes from Peebles, Scotland BTW)

OzTennis
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your favourite Aus song?

Depending on my mood - either And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda (very sad and moving) or Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil.

The words to the first song are here -

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/matilda.html

for those who don't know it.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 6th 2004 at 2:53 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 4:06 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What is your favourite Aus song?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just as a follow up to the thread on favourite book I thought I would start this.

And PLEASE, don't turn it into he/she/they was born in Scotland or he/she/they came from Wales or her granny was from; and PLEASE don't turn it into British music is better than Aussie music etc, etc, troll, troll.

I honestly can't name just one so here's my starters in no particular order and I'll add some more tomorrow:

And the band played waltzing matilda, green fields of France (AKA no man's land) by Eric Bogle (he comes from Peebles, Scotland BTW)

OzTennis
I LOVE Slim Dusty's "I'd love to have a beer with Duncan"!!!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know many but:

Men at work - that song about land down under (where women blow and men chunder)

Inxs - Need you tonight............I think of my wife when I hear that!

Rolf Harris - Two little boys, 'cos I think about the birth of my twin boys and the life I have had since they were born.....makes me cry.....with joy that is.

can someone advise......were AC/DC from Oz.....if so, then "For those about to rock, we salute you"....and many other AC/DC anthems.

I'm sure there's more, but none of them by Kylie I'm afraid......and I think shes not that attractive.....her sister on the other hand......
Old Oct 6th 2004, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

flame trees - cold chisel - driving through the pilbarra with this song blasting out of the stereo....magic (anything else by cold chisel will do, but this one's the best)
i was only nineteen - cant remember the band name...memories of anzac day....
and i have to agree with polyanna on 'and the band played waltzing matilda - never had anything to do with war, but i'd say these lyrics are spot on...

tanja
Old Oct 6th 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What is your favourite Aus song?

Originally Posted by OzTennis

OzTennis

I'm a bit partial to a bit of JW (John Williamson) Sad I know! He kind of grew on me as his was one of the only tapes in the car when we were spending a few weeks in The Kimberley's. We ended up playing the tape on a camping trip over here to our mates and converted them as well!! This all culminated in watching him live on a drunken night in a converted church in Islington (Still the only church I know with a bar in the vestry!) a couple of years ago. We also played 'Home among the gum trees' at our wedding!

Also, INXS 'New Sensation', 'Devil Inside'

Mark
Old Oct 6th 2004, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Much much Nick Cave stuff - I'd hate to pick just the one song, depends on mood - "Ship Song" for soppy stuff, "Red Right Hand" for not.

Mental as Anything - Live it Up.

Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist.

Honorable mention to Tom Waits' version of Waltzing Matilda too, bit of a cliche but there you go.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 5:56 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

owt by Powderfinger esp Passenger

or

Bloke by Chris Franklin
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

john&jules is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a classic by a long shot but does anyone remember that one which was rip off of Bitch by Meredith Brooks called Im a Yobbo, bloody hilarious.It was in the charts sometime in early 2000 in Oz.

Jules
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by john&jules
Not a classic by a long shot but does anyone remember that one which was rip off of Bitch by Meredith Brooks called Im a Yobbo, bloody hilarious.It was in the charts sometime in early 2000 in Oz.

Jules
The spirit of Wierd Al Yankovic lives on?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:19 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Originally Posted by john&jules

Jules
Its called Bloke by Chris Franklin
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

john&jules is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres the lyrics, it was called Bloke not Yobbo, It never ceases to amaze me the things you can find on the net!
Bloke - Chris Franklin

I hate the new age guys
I'm a chauvinist
I live on beer and pies
Tried to tell you,
But you look at me,
like maybe I'm an angel underneath
Haven't brushed me teeth.

Yesterday I lied
But all me mates
gave me a real good alibi
Thanks guys
I really went out drinking,
I told you I was at work
Don't ask me for commitment,
'Cause it's something I will shirk

I'm a bloke,
I'm an ocker
And I really love your knockers
I'm a labourer by day,
I piss up all me pay
Watching footy on TV
Just feed me more VB
Just pour my beer,
And get my smokes,
And go away

Or take me as I am
This may mean you'll
have to fetch another can
Rest assured,
That if I start to make you breakfast
I'm going to extremes
but tomorrow I'll get shitfaced,
and today won't mean a thing

I'm a bloke
I'm a yobbo,
and me best mate's name is Robbo
Winfield is me cigarrete
I dress in flanellette
Shearer's singlet that is blue
Throw in a few tattoos,
You know you wouldn't
Want me any other way

When you think
You've got me figured out
The season's already changing

I think it's cool
When I act like a tool
And my mates try to shave me

I'm a bloke,
I'm an ocker
And I really love your knockers
I'm a labourer by day,
I piss up all me pay
Watching footy on TV
Just feed me more VB
Just pour my beer,
And get my smokes,
And go away

I'm a bloke
I'm a yobbo,
and me best mate's name is Robbo
Winfield is me cigarrete
I dress in flanellette
Shearer's singlet that is blue
Throw in a few tattoos,
You know you wouldn't
Want me any other way

Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:24 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Karn't belive I spent $10 on that !

I was gonna put it on ebay the other day in my clearout...but it still makes me smile even down to the front cover of mullet haired bloke slumped against a wall surounded by cans of VB!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What is your favourite Aus song?

What about:

"The Boys Light Up" by Australian Crawl:

"FOR HIS PROMOTION TO THAT FLAT IN SURFERS PARADISE WITH THE OCEAN VIEW, WHAT A SING SONG DANCE, WHATA PERFORMACE
WHAT A CHEAP TEN SHOW
OH NO NO NO NO NO"

or
"Tom Traubert's Blues" by Tom Waits (I know he's not an aussie but )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.