Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is/was your biggest worry about emigrating?

What is/was your biggest worry about emigrating?

Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:59 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default What is/was your biggest worry about emigrating?

Only reason i post this....

I have got 4 weeks to go, and my ONLY worry about emigrating is constantly bobbing around in my mind. Its the fact that i am leaving my family behind... My 2 grans, my grandad, mum, dad and everyone else. Anything could happen, and being 14 thousand miles away makes things a touch difficult.

My wifes family awaits and she is dead keen to see them all again after two years. So there you have it, my only worry

Whats everyone elses biggest issue/worry about making the move?
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Good question Pete

I was worried that we would get here and me and my husband would pull in different directions - one want to stay, one want to go. We have to an extent been through that - but at times it was him who wanted to go, and at other times it was me, so there was never a serious 'divide'. We knew it was just the highs and lows of being in transition, so fortunately never had to make a major decision based on it. (Now we're going cos of the baby, and that's been a joint decision.)

But I know one couple who are divided about whether to stay or go and it's very stressful for them. It must be such a tricky one to manage.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:12 am
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is/was your biggest worry about emigrating?

Whats everyone elses biggest issue/worry about making the move? [/QUOTE]

Hi

I was just waiting for this thread, was going to post one myself. well, i have lots of worries:

1) my family doesn't want me to go.
2) i will miss my parents and sister and feel bad for leaving them.
3) i don't know if i will fit in (foreign sounding accent), although i understand and speak english alright, but they will still notice as soon as i say something.
4) will i make friends?
5) will i be accepted at work?
6) the biggest one: do people think i am a bit dumb, because i sometimes cannot exactly say what i want to due to language?
7) how will it be to say good bye to everyone? it is a horrible thing for me to say bye any time.

now, you can call my a silly worrier, but that's what is on my mind five weeks before the big move. what makes it worse, is that my boyfriend has already left (long story) and i have to pack up and organize everything alone.

i am so glad that i am not the only one with all these thoughts.

good luck to everyone and i am sure we will all do alright, looking back later on we will probably laugh at all this worrying.

barbara
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:16 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bawi
Hi

I was just waiting for this thread, was going to post one myself. well, i have lots of worries:

1) my family doesn't want me to go.
2) i will miss my parents and sister and feel bad for leaving them.
3) i don't know if i will fit in (foreign sounding accent), although i understand and speak english alright, but they will still notice as soon as i say something.
4) will i make friends?
5) will i be accepted at work?
6) the biggest one: do people think i am a bit dumb, because i sometimes cannot exactly say what i want to due to language?
7) how will it be to say good bye to everyone? it is a horrible thing for me to say bye any time.

now, you can call my a silly worrier, but that's what is on my mind five weeks before the big move. what makes it worse, is that my boyfriend has already left (long story) and i have to pack up and organize everything alone.

i am so glad that i am not the only one with all these thoughts.

good luck to everyone and i am sure we will all do alright, looking back later on we will probably laugh at all this worrying.

barbara
Barbara, don't worry one little bit about your accent. There are LOADS of non english speaking immo's in aus. My inlaws live 2 doors down from a Dutch couple, who love it there and have easily integrated into the community. As long as you have a basic command of English, which from reading your posts you definatly do, there is nothing to worry about.

In some ways , i would be more worried about being a pom down under than anything else (except maybe a kiwi ).
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As I'm leaving tomorrow this one seems rather appropriate!
1) How am I going to cope without my best mate
2) How much am I going to miss my family
3) How soon will I get a decent job
4) When my 42 boxes and furry pink swivel chair arrive - and in what condition will they be (sitting in warehouse at present, hopefully being shipped next week)
5) Am I going to "fit in" and make new friends
6) Will my Bloke cope with my bouts of homesickness........

And loads of other little worries, but those are th main ones I think!:scared: :scared:
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:29 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by PeteY

I have got 4 weeks to go, and my ONLY worry about emigrating is constantly bobbing around in my mind. Its the fact that i am leaving my family behind... My 2 grans, my grandad, mum, dad and everyone else. Anything could happen, and being 14 thousand miles away makes things a touch difficult.

My wifes family awaits and she is dead keen to see them all again after two years. So there you have it, my only worry

PeteY, My only worry is my parents, Dad had a stroke last easter and Mum is crippled with arthritus (do not know if i spelt it right). I know that when I go in April I will not be back for 2 years minimum. Dad is poorly and I could be saying goodbye to him for ever. Mum has know one to help her when she goes shopping etc. I am not getting any younger and have three young sons. I want to do so much with them and show them so much. I live in a shitty area of the UK and have sisters i am looking forward to seeing the back of. I have had many sleepless nights about what to do. I know if Dad had his time over he would go for it and if he was able to tell me now I know he would miss us but say go and enjoy yourself. If it was not for Mum and Dad I would be gone now. I only stay to get through Xmas with them. I also know that if Oz does not work out for us we can come back and start again, but really the only tie holding me here is Mum and Dad. It is very difficult and know some could not do it but I have a family and want to do right for them.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:34 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Missing parents and parents in law.

And never feeling home somewhere, like my dad. Though I guess I already have that now, and I'm not not going to do it just because of that.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bawi

barbara
Barbara
In my last job here I worked in a a department of approx 24 people. This is the breakdown of where we were all from (and only the UK/Aussies were English as first language so the rest had accents of varying degrees):
UK - 4
China - 1
Vietnam - 1
Mauritius - 1
NZ - 1
Hong Kong - 1
Russia - 2
Turkey - 1
Malaysia - 2
Phillipines - 1
Canada - 1
The rest were Aussies

We went out to lunch one day and there were 10 of us sitting around a table - we realised that not a single one of us had been born in Australia, and between us we came from 9 different nations!!

This is what is so great about Oz - it is so multicultural - and harmoniously so. You will fit in a treat!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:40 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Prior to leaving a can remember the feeling of fear/excitement that is so entwined that its difficult to know where one starts and the other ends.

I had nursed a relative with cancer and she died about a month before we left. This was in many ways a relief because it would have been impossible to leave, even though she was hardly able to recall whether I was there or not towards the end.

My gran is 91 and I deal with the fact that I might not see her again as I have for many years, knowing that after my visit she could 'pop her clogs'.

As for the rest of the family some who would keep in touch when I was in UK make the same effort, others as usual don't bother.

Once we decided to maintain a property in Uk, that resolved many of the financial worries about having all our eggs in one basket.

So by the time we were heading for the airport we had no worries, other than if the airline tickets would be waiting for us.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:44 am
:D

spigs is an unknown quantity at this point

1)biggest is over - I told my parents last night, and now feel much better...I was sh**ing myself

2) will our cats be ok travelling without inflight entertainment
( actually , they're lucky because they get the drugs...):scared:

3) finding a job, not worried now but will be sometime after arriving !!

4) fitting in. not too worried. I'm a brit living in Holland for the last 5 years with my dutch girlfriend. Oz will be a breeze compared to this , Just have to learn the language...

(oh, and good luck Pollyanna, thanks for the help with the police certs info a while back)
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:49 am
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what is so great about Oz - it is so multicultural - and harmoniously so. You will fit in a treat!! [/QUOTE]

Hi Hiddenpaw and Petey

Thanks for the encouraging words, I was told by many Australians that they do not care that much about accents, but whenever my bf (Aussie) and I meet someone english speaking they tend to address him a lot more, although I understand everything and also tell my opinion on the issue discussed.
But I don't want to be too negative and maybe that was all just coincidence.
I will add all the things I look forward to to balance the post a bit.

1) Finally living with my partner (in the same place)
2) Going to have a better, far more interesting job than here, where I will have some responsability.
3) I like the area where we will live.
4) I like the Aussie way of life compared to the one here more.
5) I look forward to seeing my future in laws and future brother in law again.
And many more things, too many to list.

My thoughts and worries are sometimes a bit irrational, but I hope the people in the same or similar situation can understand.

Barbara
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:58 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Only 2 worries
Leaving my best friend
And then the financial side , opening bank accounts transferring money etc
Apart from that cant wait to go
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Originally posted by PeteY

My biggest worries:

1. Leaving my parents back. They are all keen on visiting, but I'm not sure if my dad willl be able to and wether we will see him again (will be even more hard for my 10-year-old).

2. Leaving the two guinea pigs back. I'm worried my daughter will hate me for the rest of our lives that I forced her to give them away.

3. Not finding a job and being a (financial) burdon to my sister and my brother in law who are sponsoring and assuring us.

4. That my daughter won't fit in and won't know where she really belongs for the rest of her life. I know the feeling, I have it myself.

The sequence of the above is no indication on which point weighs most, I'm not sure about that myself.

Lavinia
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by spigs

2) will our cats be ok travelling without inflight entertainment

LOL!!!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:31 am
Just Joined

JandKS is an unknown quantity at this point

My worries:

1) that my family don't want anything to do with me after I tell them that we're going
2) that I won't make any friends (I can be quite shy and I know that I can appear stuck-up because of it)
3) how long it will take to get settled
4) that hubby and I will have the same life as we have now except 10,000 miles away from all we know - working tons of hours and never seeing each other in order to maintain a nice lifestyle, although I am determined to change my life priorities. I want to live somewhere nice, and be able to do lots and travel, like we do now, but not at the expense of never seeing my husband.

Although worry 5) is that we'll spend lots more time together and realise that we don't actually like each other that much after all

Hundreds of other little ones!

KS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.