Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are you taking from the Middle East?

What are you taking from the Middle East?

Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default What are you taking from the Middle East?

I am about to end my expat life in the Middle East and make the move to Sydney in a couple of months. As I have been living in a serviced apartment, I really don't have much of a personal belongings here. Due to the tax-free regime, I guess almost everything will be cheaper in the Middle east. Just wondering if I should buy anything at this stage? What did you do? My car is left hand drive, so it won't make sense to ship it. How about white goods? Sufficient cost differential to justify the shipping cost and hassle? Clothes are expensive in the Middle East as well, so may not make sense? All suggestions will be graciously received.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you taking from the Middle East?

No point buying new .... you'd have to pay customs duties (on items less than 12 months old) shipping costs from the ME (AED 20k for a 20ft container or thereabouts). Plus most white goods sold in the ME don't come with international warranties. Just buy the stuff here.

I thought you were moving to Melbourne not Sydney? (unless I've got my wires crossed). NAB is hiring big time here btw....

We haven't decided what to do with the bulk of our furniture, probably ship it to Mumbai and store it in our apartment that's lying vacant. We're planning to ship just some of our furniture whilst we are renting.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IndieG
No point buying new .... you'd have to pay customs duties (on items less than 12 months old) shipping costs from the ME (AED 20k for a 20ft container or thereabouts). Plus most white goods sold in the ME don't come with international warranties. Just buy the stuff here.

I thought you were moving to Melbourne not Sydney? (unless I've got my wires crossed). NAB is hiring big time here btw....

We haven't decided what to do with the bulk of our furniture, probably ship it to Mumbai and store it in our apartment that's lying vacant. We're planning to ship just some of our furniture whilst we are renting.
Thanks IndieG. We are initially heading towards Sydney, though I will consider any place my job takes me to, if I do get one! Yes, I heard about banks hiring and hence the decision to make the move now. We got our visa early last year but have been waiting since for the job market to imporove.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Good job you post this - I was going to buy new white goods from here.

I will take my furniture - Marina - I should imagine that furniture is expensive in Oz. I think I will stock up with some rugs and knick knacks from here that you won't be able to get there. I was also thinking about buying some new camping gear as that cheap here and our tents are quite worn out and can't be bothered cleaning them.

anyway let us know what you do- we've not got that far yet.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin

I will take my furniture - Marina - I should imagine that furniture is expensive in Oz. I think I will stock up with some rugs and knick knacks from here that you won't be able to get there. I was also thinking about buying some new camping gear as that cheap here and our tents are quite worn out and can't be bothered cleaning them.
Yeah, bring the nice bits of furniture especially if it is from the Marina. The stuff I've seen here is ghastly (and no where near the stuff in Marina) and the ones we liked were running in several 000's! We might just end up bringing all our old (antique actually!) furniture next year...

If you've got hand carved teak furniture then most definitely bring it along.